Anybody Own Hawaiian Banknotes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Urban_Lawyer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

Anybody own any of the banknotes issued by the government of Hawaii (royal or otherwise) in the 1800s before we annexed it? I haven't seen many for sale out there. Are they as rare / more rare than Hawaiian coins?

Post 'em if you got 'em!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikesolo66

mikesolo66 Member

Oooh I'm looking foward to this!

4. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Don't have any here, but would love to see some if anyone owns them!

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

None here either, have seen some of those early notes. I've just got a one and five of the WW2 notes.

6. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I'm really curious if there are any banknotes from Hawaii that early on. From what I have read Hawaii used coins as currency and adopted the US paper currency. However, there are some private companies that have printed paper currency to use. Whether these are considered legal tender or not I have no idea.

7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

:) No currency, just a Hapaha.

8. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

My understanding is that there were a couple of different denominations under both the monarchy and the republic prior to the U.S. annexation in the late 1890s. Here are some pictures from banknotes.com. The monarchy notes are from 1880 and the republic note is from 1895.

ZZ Hawaii 2.JPG ZZ Hawaii 3.JPG ZZ Hawaii 4.JPG ZZ Hawaii 5.JPG

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Not so far, only a Banco de Puerto Rico $5 from 1909 that used ABNCo designs and not the National Currency design. I'd like to find one of those 19th century Hawaiians to add to my harem though.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No don't own one but I would like to. Problem is I can't afford to. I'm sure it is one of the countries I will never get for my one per country paper money collection. I'm not sure if the republic notes ever actually circulated.

And the Hawaii banknotes are MUCH MUCH rarer than the HawaII coins.

11. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

I kind of have two, One is a Souviner card from the 13 Annual IPMS in Memphis Tenn. June 23-25 1989A $10 dollar gold certificate. the other is and example like Urban lawyer has on the bottom a $20 dollar gold certificate from the ANA 98 th ann. convention in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, August 9-13, 1989. These two are actual plates used by the American Bank Note Company. They are real nice.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This is as close as I can get.

Attached Files:

13. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

American Bank Note issued an extensive series of souvenir cards with intaglio proofs of many royal Hawaiian notes. You'll find some posted in the souvenir cards thread: http://www.cointalk.com/t94663-2/#post836166.

In 1995, ABNC also put out a series of five intaglio reprints on card stock, cut to size, of the front sides of the Hawaiian certificates of deposit. You don't see these too often as they were fairly pricey even at the time and didn't sell well. I've scanned my set below. I thought it was interesting that each note is a different size according to its denomination.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted