Antiochos IV Epiphanes AE 33

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, May 10, 2019.

1. Dear friends of Ancient Mania,

The stories of the atrocities that Antiochos IV had committed in Judea was one of the initial sparks that started my infatuation of Ancient History. I typically don't venture into bronze, but couldn't pass up this artistic representation of Zeus-Serapis.

If you haven't already, you should read up on Antiochos IV. Some of his atrocities range from banning Judaism, executing circumcised babies, then hanging the dead child around the mother's neck, marching the women up to the Temple mount, and casting them off the edge of the hill, forcing Jews to worship Zeus, erecting a shrine to Zeus in the Jewish Temple, slaughtering a pig in the Jewish Temple, cooking young males on large bronze plates while circumventing it with spear-wielding soldiers; to push the males back onto the plate when trying to escape the scalding. It was no wonder that his fellow Seleucids' secretive name for him was "Epimanes" (The Mad one.)

Born, Mithradates, he later assumed the name of his fathers, Antiochos. Then, a few years later, assuming the full title, BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ. (Basileus Antiochos Theos Epiphanes) Literal translation, "King Antiochus God Manifest."As seen on my example below.

Eventually, Antiochos' occupation of Judea was driven out. After regaining control of the Temple, the Hasmoneans found only one cruze of oil to keep the lamp burning, enough for one day. Yet, it miraculously burnt for 8. Hence, the Festival of Lights, or Hanukkah.

Antiochos died in 164 BC, after an 11 year reign. There are 3 accounts of his death, 2 of which are coming down with a sudden illness; or being stricken by God with severe internal pain, then later falling off a racing chariot, damaging every apendage, causing eventual death.

Antiochos IV Epiphanes AE 33.png
    SELEUKID EMPIRE. Antiochos IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC. Æ (33.5mm, 34.21 g, 1h). “Egyptianizing” series. Antioch on the Orontes mint. Struck 169-168 BC. Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis right, wearing tainia with Osiris cap at tip / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY / ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ. Eagle standing right on thunderbolt. SC 1413; HGC 9, 643.

Post your Seleucid Empire coins!

-Michael

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Very handsome. Nice patina. BIG. Must be quite impressive in hand.

I like Seleucid stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryro, TIF, Finn235 and 12 others like this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great eye appeal , congrats Michael

a couple of my favorite Seleukids:

P1150912.JPG P1210939.JPG P1150851xnn.jpg

Ryro, TIF, Jwt708 and 9 others like this.
  5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coin and example of the Egyptianizing series!

This is mine from the series:

[​IMG]
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes Egyptianizing series (175 B.C. - 164 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Wreathed head of Isis right.
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, Eagle standing right on thunderbolt.
    Size: 18,17g; 25mm

His nickname "Epimanes" (The Mad one) given by fellow Seleukids was actually entirely unrelated to his actions in Judea. Hence, he even got the new title of "Nikephoros" (bringer of victory) after his 'victories' in Judea and the Sinai (Egypt). The nickname was given to him because of his extraordinary behaviour as a king. He often escaped from his attendants at court, wandering around in about all parts of the city with one or two companions. He was found at silver and goldsmith's discussing technical matters with the moulders and other craftsman. He had conversations with any common people he met and used to drink with the most foreign visitors in Antioch. Also, he would frequently put off his royal robes, changing it with a white toga and go around the market place, taking some by the hand and embracing others and beg them to give him their vote, sometimes for the office of aedile or tribune. And let's not forget him bath in public bathhouses full with commoners. In consequence all respectable men were entirely puzzled about him, some looking upon him as a plain simple man and others as a madman (Epimanes).

Ryro, TIF, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Interesting write-up on a terrible guy. I recently got one of those big Antiochos IV "Egyptianized" pseudo-hockey pucks (does 35.62 grams qualify as a hockey puck?).

Seleucid Ant. IV Egypt big AE Mar 19 (0).jpg

Seleucid KingdomÆ 32
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes
    Post-Conquest Egyptianized Series. Antioch Mint
    (169-168 B.C.)

Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis rt. / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, eagle standing right on thunderbolt.
    SC 1412; Svoronos 1416.
    (35.62 grams / 32 mm)

From the same series, a smaller one featuring Isis. Kind of crusty, but it was only $1.36.

Seleucid -Antiochos IV Egyptianized Apr 2018.jpg

Seleucid KingdomÆ 27
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes
    Post-Conquest Egyptianized Series. Antioch Mint
    (169-168 B.C.)

Head of Isis right with taenia & Isis headdress / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, eagle standing rt. on thunderbolt.
    SC 1414; SNG 981; Sv. 1417.
    (14.15 grams / 27 mm)

Ryro, TIF, Pavlos and 10 others like this.
  7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Very nice write-up of a miserable man. Here’s a smaller bronze of Antiochus IV.

D50F2FDA-B1AE-4796-8336-D90CF3D37007.jpeg

Antiochus IV Epiphanes
    (AE 20.5 mm, 6.33 g) Antioch on-the-Callirhoe (Edessa), 168-164 BC.
    Radiate and diademed head of Antiochos to right. Rev. ANTIOXEΩN TΩN EΠI KAΛΛIPPOHI Zeus Aëtophoros standing left, holding scepter; MY monogram to outer left. ANS 1944.100.74281 (Newell collection). SC 1499. Rare mint.
    Ex. Nomos AG

Ryro, TIF, Pavlos and 8 others like this.
  8. Like @Andres2 , I too have one of Great Great Great Grandfather with the MP monogram & ΔI. I have another Seleucus I on the way; will post in a week or 2.
    Seleukos I Nikator Tetradrachm.png
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Seleukos I Nikator.
    312-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm. 17.12g Seleukeia on the Tigris I Mint. Struck circa 300-281 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Nikephoros seated left; monogram in left field, ligate ΔI below throne. SC 117.1c; HGC 9, 12i.

9. Maybe for children? His southern rivals minted the real hockey pucks.
    Seleucus vs Ptolemy.jpg
    On an 1819 map of Asia Minor; because how can one get any nerdier? My wife is laughing at me.

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

How about 36.13 gm?
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Antiochos IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC. Æ (33mm, 36.13 gm, 12h). Antioch mint. Struck 169-168 BC. Obv: Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis right, wearing tainia with Osiris crown at tip. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ, Eagle standing right on thunderbolt. SC 1413; SMA 59; Houghton 118-20; SNG Spaer 979-80; Laffaille 572. Reddish film/deposits over dark brown patina.
    AntiochosIV2.jpg

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

And a scarce variety in silver, where he likens himself to Zeus?:
    Antiochos IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC. AR Tetradrachm (16.27 gm, 1h, 32mm). Antioch mint. Struck 169-164 BC. Obv: Laureate and bearded head of Zeus with features of Antiochos right, within fillet border. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ NIKHΦOPOY, Zeus seated left, holding Nike in left hand, scepter in right. SNG Spaer 1003; Le Rider, Antioche, Series IIIA, 247 (A24/P173); Mørkholm Series III, 14 (A22/P93); SMA 63.
    AntiochosIVTet2.jpg

zumbly, Ryro, TIF and 7 others like this.
  12. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I love that tet @PeteB , haven’t seen that style in silver.

I also have a large bronze of his from Antioch. Not in the best condition, but it’s a definitely big chunk of metal.

32mm., 35.39g.

941DA50F-440F-4921-A8FF-155FA7343C21.jpeg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Ryro, Theodosius, TIF and 6 others like this.
  13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I think it is darned good! A keeper!
    PeteB
    PS: if it were mine, I would never "clean" it......if you ever get the hankering to do so.
    PGB

Shea19 likes this.
  14. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Amazing tetradrachm of Antiochos IV, a lot scarcer than the typical tetradrachms with his own portrait.

It is not just a big chunk of metal, it is a very nice big chunk of metal! I wouldn't worry about the condition, it is a clear and nice example of the type.

Shea19 likes this.
  15. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Ha, thanks, I love this one...one of the first coins I ever bought and one of my favorites. I just meant that it really is a strikingly large coin, probably the heaviest bronze in my collection.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  16. Just in. Not a bad shipping time from The Holy Land.
    Seleukos I Nikator Tetradrachm 2.png
    SELEUKID EMPIRE. Seleukos I Nikator. 312-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm (28.3mm, 16.87 g, 10h). In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Babylon I mint. Struck circa 311-300 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; monogram in wreath in left field, MI below throne. SC 82.5b; Price 3747; HGC 9, 10f.

zumbly, Jwt708, Shea19 and 6 others like this.
  17. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@iamtiberius interesting (and horrific) writeup, here's a little nugget of a coin of Antiochos IV
    Antiochos IV epiphanes.jpg
    Seleukid Kings of Syria, Antiochos IV Epiphanes, 175-164 BC
    Æ 15-17mm, 3.35g, Antioch mint
    Struck circa 175-172 BC
    Obv: Veiled and diademed bust of Laodike IV right
    Rev: Head of elephant left; tripod behind, BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY
    Ref: SNG Spaer 969

Bing, Johndakerftw, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Why are we always driven to extremes? When it comes auction time it's always the best of men (and women) and worst that you have to Shell out da big bucks for.
    Of course the Greeks definition of "hero" was much different then ours. To them it wasn't about good or bad, it was about impact. Whether you kill a hundred people of save them, you were a "hero".
    Here's a cheapo lil bottle cap of his:

2631E4E3-DDC6-4B76-AF03-D52BCDD2DDA7.png

Antiochos IV Epiphanes
    KINGS of SYRIA. 175-164 BCE Serrate Æ Ake- Ptolemaïs mint. Struck circa 173/2-168 BC. Diademed and radiate head right; monogram behind / Veiled goddess standing facing, holding scepter. SC 1479; HGC 9, 726. VF, earthen brown patina.

And a fun elephant head reverse:
    0FB58D54-0FDA-43B8-896F-0D6DD3A5A9EE.png

Antiochos IV Epiphanes
    175-164 B.C. AE 13 (12.7 mm, 2.50 g, 11 h). Ake-Ptolemaïs mint, Struck 175-ca.173/2 B.C. Diademed, veiled and draped bust of Laodike IV right; monogram behind / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, head of elephant left; prow to lower right; monogram above elephant's trunk . SC 1477.2; Kadman 19; SNG Spaer 1102. VF

Draft saved Draft deleted