Another quick silver question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by playin4funami, Dec 13, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami Junior Member

I've listened to folks say that name brand rounds and bars like say englehard have a premium over a generic or lesser known brand bar or round,my question is how much premium is the name worth,or is it all BS and silver is silver when it comes to selling,I'm not selling but want to cover angles for the future.

Sorry for all the dumb questions,just trying to learn the game a little and thank you all for your help and opinions!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

There is not a dumb question and the name is really a certification of the PM.
    It's why alot of people say don't collect not well known bars or silver rounds. Silver is just silver in the bars and non numismatic. But in say ASE's or maples or minted forms of PM, they may command a higher premium to buy, as well as they also command a higher price is reselling and also are easily sold compared to other forms of PMs. (bars and rounds)

4. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

Depends some art bars carry a significant premium. Here is the reference or guide on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fb1f6f7&itemid=280383104379&ff4=263602_263622

Extruded or stamped bars almost never carry a premium but, the poured bars by JM and a few of the obscure lesser known founderies may carry a slight premium as some collect the old ones but, the premium will probably not outweigh the time/effort needed to seek the right buyer.

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

A better way to look at it is not that well recognized brand names carry a premium, it is that unrecognized bars and rounds carry a discount because the weight and purity is less certain.

6. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

I suppose you can look at the premiums as an insurance that you're buying quality stuff and that when you're ready to sell, the buyer won't hassle you.

I'm only looking at ASE's and some well known bars and that's it.

I don't want to buy a silver bar from ACME company, and find out they went under and now I have to explain the bars to someone who's never heard of them down the road.

7. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head more then I did. :high5:

8. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Stick with ASE, Maple, Libertad, Britannia, etc. You can expect to sell those pieces for the same premium you paid.

9. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

Curious question.....if you buy a round that says .9999 and sell it to the company that's name is on it, and they tell you it is only .9800, can you sue them for false advertising?

10. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

is this actually true? has it happened before?

11. goldnsilverdog

goldnsilverdog Junior Member

about silver question

what are you buying silver for? For collection or wealth protection? If it's collection buy name brand bars coins ETC... If it's for wealth protection it does not matter just make sure it's .999 silver.

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If it's for wealth protection, it matters a lot. If you buy some no-name round marked .999, how do you know what the true purity is? You don't. And if you sell it to someone in the future and it turns out to be less than .999, you may be liable while the original manufacturer is long gone or completely unknown. Quality and pedigree always matter in investing.

13. chip

chip Novice collector

Wile E. Coyote swears by ACME silver bars, I think Roadrunner likes Johnson/Matthey and Englehard.

14. chip

chip Novice collector

I'm not sure how it is with precious metals, but with steel, copper, and Iron there are tolerances associated with their manufacture, I know from weighing some of my bullion the weight can vary. Englehard seems to be the best, my ten oz bars usually are about .004 or so over, and that seems to carry thru with the five ouncers, being about .02 over.

Some of the other novelty bullion always seems to be under the advertised weight, like I saw some novelty silver bills, advertised as 4 ounces they seem to be about 3.98 tho.

15. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

Speaking of known brands. Do you think the silver chinese panda's are a good and reputable buy? I know APMEX is taking pre-orders on 2010's now.
    It would be nice to have some other silver coins than just ASE's. Makes it a little bit more fun to invest in other types.

Roadrunner is our debt and Wile E Coyote is our gov't!!!

16. playin4funami

playin4funami Junior Member

I know I want some different stuff,having 1000 ase's that all look the same is no fun,I've been looking at the aulstralian (sp"?) kookaburras,and some mapleleafs and a few others with nice designs,I might end up with 9,950 ase's but then have 50 different ones as a collection to show to family and friends,who never need to know about the other 9,950 stashed away. In other words I'd like some show peices to keep in my safe,while the bulk is stashed elsewhere,safer that way!

17. goldnsilverdog

goldnsilverdog Junior Member

silver verification

When i refer to buying silver at .999 purity, i I'm not saying go out and buy a blank stamped .999 If you buy a round that is from a private mint your OK with that. If it was not pure silver and you were buying from a coin dealer or mint themselves they would not be in business. if you buy from maybe e-bay or individuals then test your silver, come on use a little common sense. It matters Not what mint it is from as long as it's pure .999 silver. When you are acquiring silver for wealth not investment.

18. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

Yes, to a friend of mine. He bought from NWT mint, Pan american silver corp.....I remember the pick ax on the bar. What he bought was silver bars. He bought them at .9999 purity. The price went up, he mailed them in. NWT mint assayed them and found their purity to be .98. They paid him according to .98 purity. While he still made money, I think this is a nasty way of hitting your customers profits. The bars were originally sold as .9999 purity, and this is what he paid for them. But, upon selling them back, to the same company that minted them, they tell him it is only .98 purity, and that's all they are paying.

I told him to pursue this legally, but the monitary amount wasn't worth his efforts.

This did happen about 7-8 years ago, so I don't know if they've changed their practices.

To be fair, they did reimburse him on what he spent for the original costs. So, they lowered the costs as if he had purchased .98 purity. But, the price went up. So, they took some of his profits. If the price would have gone down....do you think they would have informed him of the .98 purity...since now this would lead to them losing money?

19. chip

chip Novice collector

thanks for sharing that story, I wonder how many of the pieces I have are something other than what is advertised, my favorite dealer showed me a counterfeit morgan today, another dealer was there at the time and they both thought that it was one of the best counterfeits they had seen, the thing looked good, felt right, but was magnetic, he even had a counterfeit clad quarter, i spose I should go thru my stash with a magnet and get my letter stamp kit out

20. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I'm curious if the counterfeit morgan had a silver ring to it? You know, the nice ding sound the coin makes when tapped.

21. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

I think your friend had a really good case. And perhaps they knew it so they tried to squash and kind of lawsuit by paying him the difference.

It's basically false advertising. If I purchase something etched with .999 it has to be that!

You know that fake gold commercial that sells buffalo coins for $20? If you notice when they show the back, it doesn't say .999 on it. Eventhough the real coin does.

That company NWT has had some issues in the past, I've decided to steer clear from them, and now with this story, I'm definitely not going to do any business with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted