Another NEWP, and medal/exonumia guru advice (conservation question)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Stork, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I remember reading the polar vs. non-polar discussion regarding the two solvents on an old thread. Acetone I've used many times --especially on nice coins arriving in PVC flips. Not the xylene though.

I need to find a sacrificial medal or coin or two to give it at try. This is not the medal to start on I suppose. Definitely looking for a 'least interaction' type of thing.

The Eidolon likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There is a build up of gunk on your medal. Do what Doug suggested. Skip the water. MS-70 works too.

Stork likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Which is exactly what you'll get with xylene. And understand, I'm not trying to discourage you from doing your own testing first - full speed ahead with that ! All I'm trying to do is offer assurance that xylene is perfectly safe and will not harm the medal in any way ;)

Stork likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

Thanks for the confirmation :)

Yeah I know Mike, you don't agree on that point. We are just gonna have to agree disagree on that one.

I'm surprised you'd say this. Yeah, MS70 will remove gunk and oil. But, MS70 is also infamous for turning copper blue ! MS70 works great on silver and or nickel, or CU coins. But MS70 on copper is a big no-no !

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Interesting this is always what I have always been told.

Another note I have been told that Verdi care is a gentler approach to conservation than MS70.
    But I believe that even @BadThad says that it enhances the appearance of the coin. And not to use it as as a spot treatment.

7. Insider

While MS-70 will occasionally react with SOMETHING ON SOME COPPER COINS and turn them blue. They can be changed back to their original color (without the gunk or haze) in seconds and no one will be the wiser. :jawdrop::facepalm:

I think Verdi-Care is much milder but in my tests, it did not work as well. I have a bottle and use it sparingly if at all.

Stork likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How?

9. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

never head of xylene, so I googled it and found that there are three forms of xylene: meta-xylene, ortho-xylene and para-xylene. Any of these will do or is there a difference? :confused:

10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Usually I think you get a mixture of the three isomers. They are hard to separate anyway, and have similar properties. The only difference is whether the two methyl groups on the benzene ring are at 60, 120 or 180 degree angles. Since we're not doing synthesis, for solvent purposes I doubt it makes much difference between the three.

Stork and cmezner like this.
  11. GDJMSP

Easiest place to find it is in a paint store, as that's it's primary use. Simply go in and ask for a small can of xylene. They usually sell it in quarts and gallons but some might have pints.

Stork likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

Verdi-Care was specifically designed to remove verdigris, not for general cleaning.

13. GDJMSP

All I can say is this - every one I ever used it on turned blue - every one. I've seen turn cents blue straight out of mint packaging, both Mint Sets and Proof Sets. And read countless reports from other collectors over many years of it turning their copper coins blue. And while I've never submitted any myself, many others have had copper coins body bagged or detail graded by NGC and PCGS because MS70 turned them blue.

Could all those coins have had something on them ? Yeah, I suppose so, but danged if I know what it could be that it would be on all of them. But in the end, would it matter if that's what the reason was or not ? To me, the only thing that matters is that it happened at all - not why it happened.

14. Stork

How do you turn them back from being blue? I've seen the blue coins, but didn't know it could be reversed. And, from what I've read, MS-70 may have changed it's formulation somewhere along the line...is the blue effect (and reversal) the same?

Hope these aren't inappropriate questions. I'm not a fan of altering a coin's inherent nature with artificial means, but I AM a fan of removing contaminants.

Kind of like washing a face vs. having a skin peel or face lift so to speak. Washing is fine, altering is not my goal though.

15. Stork

Also, IIRC I saw smaller cans of xylene at Lowes at some point. Paint section near the cans of acetone and denatured alcohol.

How do you guys use the denatured alcohol? I've seen that one discussed too.

16. GDJMSP

Any and all toning can be removed in seconds with a coin dip. And yeah I know, people say you can't dip copper. Well horse puckey - you can ! IF you know how.

That said, I have no idea if that is what Mike does or is even suggesting. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable people there is or ever has been in numismatics when it comes to cleaning coins. Even so, there's a thing or two that he and I disagree on - but not much.

The procedure for acetone, xylene, alcohol, even distilled water, is basically the same. I have provided it here in this thread -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

Stork likes this.
  17. Insider

Go to Collectors Universe forums and find all the discussions about "blue" copper.

I'll repeat this again. MS-70 will turn SOME copper blue. It depends what's on the coin to begin with. Additionally, some copper coins turn blue all by themselves depending on how they are stored and the environment.

18. GDJMSP

I'm not disputing that Mike, I agree 100% on that count. There's lots and lots of copper coins with natural blue or a shade of blue toning.

The only thing I'm saying is that I've personally never seen a copper coin that if MS70 was used on it - did not turn one shade of blue or another. Some have a purplish cast to them, but that's still a shade of blue.

Could your experience, or anybody else's be different than mine - sure it could. All I can do is relate mine.

And by the way, you can go back over a period of 20 years on both the NGC and PCGS forums and find the very same thing I'm reporting here. That MS70 turns copper blue.

19. GDJMSP

Mike I wanna add something else here. You said -

So what you're saying is that some copper coins have something on them, and whatever that something is, that's what is reacting with the MS70 and causing the coins to turn blue. And at the same time, you're saying, or at the least implying, that not all copper coins turn blue if MS70 is used on them - because they don't have that "something" on them.

Well Mike, when you say that you've treated some copper coins with MS70 and they did not turn blue - I believe ya. I don't doubt your word a bit, I trust ya too much to do that.

But, think about this. Perhaps, just perhaps, the reason that some of the copper coins you have treated with MS70 did not turn blue, is specifically because they had "something" on them that prevented them from turning blue. I mean both scenarios are equally likely. If there's something that can cause the blue, it's just as likely that something can be preventing it.

Also think about the fact that the reason you are using MS70 on the copper coins - IS because there is something on them that you are trying to remove. I mean, the reason you're using the MS70 to begin with is because there is something there. If there wasn't anything there you wouldn't be using it at all.

So which scenario seems more likely ?

Now consider this. As I said above, I've used MS70 on copper coins I took straight out of mint packaging. There was nothing, absolutely nothing that could be seen on the coins, and yet they turned blue - every single one.

Now could it be that there was a residue on the coins from when the planchets were washed that was not rinsed off completely - and that residue is what caused the coins to turn blue because it reacted with the MS70 ? Yeah, it could be. I readily admit that. But I will ask again - does that matter ?

The whole point is that no matter what, there is a risk, a risk that if MS70 is used on copper coins that those coins will turn blue.

However, if you use xylene on the copper coins, it will do every bit as good a job as the MS70 will, if not a better job of it - and there is no risk at all ! None, zero !

So which would be the better option ?

20. Stork

Well, I'm getting closer...found I thought was a can of xylene in the basement--it was a second one of acetone. Went to Lowes, all they had were gallon sized containers. They recommended Sherwin Williams up the street. SW 'has them' but the shelf was empty and the truck gets there at some ill defined point tomorrow.

Side project, looking for boxes to donate a crapton of books to the library for an upcoming sale. Lowes crushes them every morning, SW said 'go to the liquor store'. Went to the liquor store and picked up boxes, almost got some adult beverage but resisted. Need to stay sober before messing with other chemicals.

Went to Krogers to pick up cream for my coffee and distilled water. Found some Beyond Burger fake meat on sale.

Came home. Still sober. Put the distilled water in the basement and decided to organize some of my supplies--shot glasses (hmm a theme), bowls, the cans of acetone, various implements such as dried thorns, etc. Found the can of Xylene on a nearby paint shelf. Ate the Beyond Burger with a slice of cheese and it was surprisingly good. Not beef, but tasty.

Next up...take the donations to the library, then go play mad scientist in the basement (well ventilated, no active heat sources etc).

Also drove by the local liberal arts college and thought 'Self, if I had it all to do over again I would have become a dual history and chemistry major with minors in Greek, Chinese, and Arabic, and I would rock this numismatic stuff). But, I gave my GI Bill to my son who is going there and started off a chemistry major and is now a history major. He has no interest in numismatics though.

Will desperately attempt to stay sober while considering my son's non-numismatic future as a liberal arts college history major. Sigh.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Get your son to bring home a test tube of xylene.

Draft saved Draft deleted