Another counterfeit...?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by William F, May 12, 2021.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I know nothing on this series really and feel like chiming in with an uneducated opinion would do more harm than good.

That said, I would not be a buyer of this particular coin, I do hold it suspect, but mostly I wouldn't be a buyer because it's corroded, dirty and off color, it's ugly, and that's plenty enough for me to walk away and not look back.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I read his article about those fake certified 1797 large cents a day ago similar to this.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  4. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Trying to understand the OP's concern about the lettering; my 1st step in trying to authenticate a subject example always is authenticate it. I agree it is an 1829 N-8. From CoinFacts:

1829 n-8.jpg

5. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

This is my fake 1829 large cent; the "family" of fakes are based on the 1833 N-5 reverse.

1829.jpg

6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

IMO, it's a fake. Considering the reasonably good "One Cent" strike, there should be a dot between one and cent plus the bubbles/blisters are too many and concentrated in one area.

William F likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Dark side collection;)I actually really like those fake ones it would be cool to own one for reference.

Southernman189 likes this.
  8. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

Looks like a standard 1829 N-8 cent to me. I would not doubt its veracity. Perhaps the encrustations are hiding some evidence. I would defer to Jack Young, THE counterfeit-detector for his opinion. Here is a decent image of a real 1829 N-8 cent. 1829 N-08 2 cc-- MS65 PCGS.jpg

Chris Winkler and MIGuy like this.
  9. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

N-8 of 1829 has a tiny or no reverse center dot.

William F and Jack D. Young like this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Even picky arsed me loves that coin, especially with that date.

Bayern and William F like this.
  11. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Different seller- your followup post has a link to their ebay page. ( averagejoe210, with ebay store title of "Shepherd coins and collectibles").

William F likes this.
  12. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

I metal detect as well, and also think it looks like corrosion due to ground action.

Jack D. Young and William F like this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The Crimeese are getting very sophisticated. It's also amazing that sites don't have the technology to detect counterfeits, or do they?

14. William F

William F Well-Known Member

It could very well be just that, but the problem is I have seen too many counterfeits that have been artificially colored and /or artificially aged, it's so hard to tell without having the coin in hand sometimes...

johnmilton and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  15. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

In one of the PCGS videos on counterfeits, they talk about the sandblasted look from it being molded instead of stamped.

William F likes this.
  16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Since some of you think that this 1829 large cent in the OP is genuine, would you care to show me where the raised knobs of metal are on the Mint State coins you posted? That is not from corrosion. Look inside the circle, next to the leaf to the left of "O" in "ONE." That knob should show on a high grade, genuine example. There are more knobs than just that one.

1829 Large Cent N-8 R DET.jpg

William F likes this.
  17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

They used punches by hand during this era to create working dies so imperfect lettering was not out of the norm. I'd imagine some were more skilled at doing it than others.

Kevin Mader and William F like this.
  18. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Thanks for that. I was thinking that they might be hand stamping the working dies rather than the hubs, but wasn't sure what process they were following.

19. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

The problem I see that indicates it's fake is if it were real there should be another dot, about the size of the berries on the leaves, in the dead center of the coin, between ONE and CENT. It's not there.

William F likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Tricksters!

William F likes this.
  21. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Beauty! Though it looks like that same crooked "T"!

Draft saved Draft deleted