Anonymous Coin #2 – CEHGG 2017 (Guess the Owner of This Coin)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 29, 2017.

?

Comment below to enter. Use the poll just for fun!

Poll closed Dec 2, 2017.
  1. FitzNigel

5.3%
  2. Curtisimo

15.8%
  3. H8_Modern

15.8%
  4. zumbly

55.3%
  5. Severus Alexander

7.9%
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Coin_Plinko.gif
    Welcome to the second round of my epic holiday giveaway game! If you want to keep up to date on the progress of the game, check out the possible prizes or ask any questions related to the rules please see the master thread here.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-curtisimo’s-epic-holiday-giveaway-game-2017.306505/

I hope everyone had fun guessing in the first round and are now familiar with how the game is meant to operate. So without further ado...

Anonymous Coin #2
    Anonymous_Coin_2.jpg
    ACHAIA, Achaian League
    Sikyon. Circa 195-188 BC.
    AR Triobol / Hemidrachm
    Dia.: 14.5 mm
    Wt.: 2.4 g
    Obv.: Laureate head of Zeus right
    Rev.: Achaian League monogram; Σ-I across field. EY below; all within wreath.
    Ref.: Benner 3; BCD Peloponnesos 321.2; HGC 5, 282.

Why I included it in my collection:
    I collect coins from the Greek city-state of Sikyon. This piece is a hemidrachm struck at Sikyon during its membership in the Achaean League. I like it because it goes with my other coins from Sikyon and allows for the opportunity to collect coins from the other members of the league as a set.

How the Game Works

The object of the game is pretty simple: Guess which CT member the above coin belongs to out of the five participating members.

@FitzNigel
    @Curtisimo
    @H8_modern
    @zumbly
    @Severus Alexander

This is the 2nd of 5 total game threads. After I post all coins and allow for three days time for each thread I will hold a drawing to select 5 winners from those who played the game. Participants can earn multiple chances to win based on the following rules.

1. Guess who the owner of the coin is and give a reason why you think that. (Ex.: I believe that this coin belongs to Curtisimo because he likes that kind of ancient coin.) This is the minimum requirement for entry into the drawing. Please include a reason with your guess!
    2. Anyone who posts a photo of a coin along with their guess (related or not) OR gives a particularly well thought out or amusing reason why you guessed a certain person will receive an extra chance to win.
    3. Anyone who guesses correctly will receive an extra chance to win
    4. Anyone who is a young numismatist (age 18 or younger) will receive an extra chance to win. If you are a YN please say so in your entry post.
    In total there can be up to 4 chances to win for each member in each thread!

A Note to our Selfless Members!

Many of you may not feel comfortable entering a giveaway because you would rather see the prizes go to a less experienced collector. That is a very admirable sentiment and I am prepared to make arrangements so that all of our members can feel comfortable playing and entering. This series of threads is more about having fun than about exchanging coins and I want as much participation from our long time and experienced members as possible. If you end up winning and you would rather the prize go to someone else you can either designate that person or allow me to choose on your behalf.

A Note to the Volunteers

If you would like to follow along with the results of the poll feel free to vote for yourself.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I'll guess zumbly , I know he likes Sikyon coins , he has a beautifull Chimaera coin to prove it :)

Here's mine:

P1190950.JPG

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Zumbly, because he has enough coins from Sikyon to consider him a collector of such coins.

LaCointessa and Curtisimo like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree! It is so obviously zumbly that I can't believe he would pick it for this purpose so it must be someone else who knows enough about what we collect that he would try to fool us into picking zumbly. Therefore, I accuse Curtisimo in the Chimaera room with a snake. Really I have no Clue! (I'll feel bad if it turns out to be FitzNigel whose initial is scratched into the wing of my dove.)
    g51395bb3105.jpg

6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'll have to go with the crowd on this one, @zumbly cuz of his collection of Sikyon coinage.

Here's a tiny LRB AE4
    20170625_170841.jpg 20170625_170908.jpg

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I'm going way out there and saying it's Severus Alexander.
    Because despite his name sake he has posted some nice Greek coins.

I have no Sikyon coin so enjoy a Thessalian League instead.

ThessalianLeague[rogers15]072-TH-G.jpg

8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I have to concur that it is @zumbly

Reason is based on keeping track of his posts here over time makes it obvious that this is his type of coin. I'd be very surprised if it belonged to anyone else.

I dont have that type of coin, but here is a triobol from my collection.

34837.jpg

9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Clearly people are voting zumbly because he has all the coins. Not just in the contest, I mean ALL the coins. :)

10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hahaha Z's philosophy on coin ownership...
    IMG_9235.JPG

11. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I am voting H8_Modern because: Bacon!

And he clearly likes Greek coins.

John

12. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

As a congenital dissenter, I hate going with the crowd, but I'm going with Zumbly for the same reasons as everyone else. Not a very original reason.

So, here is a relatively uncommon emperor's coin to go contrast with a common answer:

Quintillus, AD 270.
    Billon Antoninianus, 20mm, 3.7g, 6h; Mediolanum (Milan) mint.
    Obv.: IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: FIDES MILITVM; Fides standing left, holding standard and spear; in right field, Є.
    Reference: RIC V(a) 18

IMG_0077.JPG

13. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I voted for H8 modern because I didn't read all posts first.

SicyonSeptimius.jpg Achaea. Sicyonia, Sicyon. Septimius Severus AE24 2 Assaria (AE, 5.3 g, 24 mm), c. 198-205.
    Obv: Laureate head of Septimius Severus to right.
    Rev: Dionysos standing left with kantharos and thyrsus.
    Uncertain C/M

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm not saying the coin is or isn't mine, but yes, it's true...

00208ao9.jpg

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Okay, I'll go with Zumbly just because I know he has some very nice Greek coins.
    SIKYONIA SIKYON.jpg
    SIKYONIA SIKYON
    AR Hemidrachm
    OBVERSE: Chimaera standing left, with heads of snake, lion & goat, raising forepaw, ΣΙ below
    REVERSE: Dove flying left
    Struck at Skyon, Fourth Century BC
    2.6g, 17mm
    SNGCop 57, BMC 111
    Ex Doug Smith

16. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I'll go with @zumbly because everyone else is ;). I am also a YN. Heres some silver :D.

20171126_192500.jpg 20171126_192513.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I"m first thought was Zumbly s;dp, but I'm going H8_modern on this one. A little snooping about lead me to this conclusion.

18. Pompeius

Pompeius Well-Known Member

I vote Zumbly due to my trust of the wisdom of the crowd. No addition, I am a young numismatist.

ominus1 and Curtisimo like this.
  19. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Oh man, I voted for zumbly last time, and this Sikyon triobol is in his wheelhouse. Still, I got to think he wouldn't provide a coin that everyone would peg to him. H8_modern gets my vote, as he has some amazing Greek coins. In honor of H8 ill pay a modern Greek coin.
    20170910_182348.png

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I wana say Severus Alexander too. 3 021.JPG

21. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Okay, this got the biggest laugh out of me of the day. Nice work, @dougsmit! I am still giggling. I want to see that on a T-shirt!

Youngcoin, ominus1, GerardV and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted