Anna's Demise

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

I admire your commitment and determination to get to the core of these issues. I think you are and will be helping keep them honest and answering (hopefully) a lot of questions we all have regarding the ambiguities in policy at the Mint. I do closely follow this saga of yours even though I am not buying FS coins myself. You are bringing about an understanding of the special dynamics of the FS series for me which I appreciate. Thank you. :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

2009--- letitia tyler-------- 4,776--- 2,861
    2009--- julia tyler--------- 4,437--- 2,549
    2009--- sarah polk-------- 4,252--- 2,550
    2009--- margaret taylor- 3,193--- 1,779

i will choose letitia tyler unc or margaret taylor unc to be the lowest by far. no way for anna harrison.

4. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Ahh. This confirms what I said above in that I suspect the coins are melted and not being dumped on the dealer channel. Thanks for checking into it.

On the other question, on what you can get from the mint at the moment, IMO the Julia Tyler coin is a good investment. This is nothing but an opinion based on the fact that I think it is a good looking coin. In terms of quantities, you have to look at the coin close to its closing date. Anna Harrison sales picked up towards the end because people thought it was going to be a key coin. I don't think there is enough difference in the small mintages in general to make much of a difference in the long run. These coins are going to be very hard to get in the future, so with that said, go with what looks good, or is part of some sub-series like the liberty one.

5. RGJohn777

RGJohn777 Junior Member

This thread is just laced with innuendo as now gold flirts....

with the $1100 level. Will the mint's 'average gold price' fall into the $1,050.00 to $1,099.99 range next? That will trigger the unc price to dip to $691 from $716. Will that occasion a buying surge? Is Anna still in this race? Can Louisa withstand the challenge to her current lead? Stay tuned for more upcoming adventures of Yakpoo's Racy Ladies!!
    ---------------
    They're only 700 apart. This is your chance to get on board friends! Buy in the dip. Buy Anna! Buy often! Help restore America's economy, put it on your card!

6. RGJohn777

RGJohn777 Junior Member

Ah yes but......

And well you might so choose fair lady. But let us not overlook that my horse (Louisa) has finished her race ( we hope) while your two (especially Taylor) have a long time yet remaining that they will be on sale. Letitia might have legs but were gold to drop to say, $900, what would that do to sales of Maggie? Might put them throught the roof, no? Then again maybe not since it seems there are not many more big fans of this series than there are first spouses themselves.
    ----
    These First Spouses are a rollercoaster ride I'll tell ya! They're up, they're down, they're plentiful, they're scarce, they command premiums, then sell at discount. I can't breathe, I swear it! One simply does not get this level of excitment when buying eagles. The coin collecting mainstream is missing the premier numismatic event of the 21'st century.

7. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Anna Harrison
    March 5, 2009-March 18, 2010
    R.I.P.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Ah HAH!! You are correct! Abigail Fillmore sales "to begin" on March 18th...I guess we all can assume that means the Mint will stop selling Anna Harrison coins on the same date...we'll see. :goof:

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

"Supposedly" there's only a six (6) week gap between the Letitia Tyler, Julia Tyler, and Sarah Polk coins going off sale so it's likely that one of these will rest the "KEY date" laurels from Anna Harrison. :thumb:

It really depends on whatever policy the Mint decides to make up for each of these coins and hand down at the last minute from their "Ivory Tower". :headbang:

10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Your "Horse"...Louisa Adams, will always be a valuable coin because she's really not a "horse" at all...she's a "MULE"!! :hail:

I bought one of the "Mule" bronze coins and one of the regulars. I also bought an extra set of Louisa Adams Proof and Unc coins. I plan to have them all set in an NGC multi-coin holder. I thought that might make a interesting display.

EDIT: Oops...I misspoke. I just checked the coins I have put aside for that display. It's "technically" and Abigail Adams "mule" (with a Louisa Adams reverse). I have an extra set of both the Abigail Adams and Louisa Adams Proof/Unc coins set aside along with the bronze coins plus the Mule. I'm still trying to decide how to position the coins.

11. RGJohn777

RGJohn777 Junior Member

We got yaks, we got horses, we got mules, we got ....

we got those Fabulous First Fillies, those low mintage Golden Girls. It's limbo 'Key Coin' friends... how low can (those mintages) go??
    Stay tuned as YakPoo sniffs out the straight stuff.

12. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

My A. Adams/Mule/L. Adams multi-set are at NGC right now! All are 67. I wish I had a 68 mule!

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It's hard, Brother...it's hard. :confused:

14. RGJohn777

RGJohn777 Junior Member

Thanks yakpoo, you're doing us all good

You're keeping us on the edge of our seats YP and we thank you for all the effort you've put in. Usually one buys a mint issued coin, look at it once or twice, then toss it into the safe deposit box for 20 years or so and more or less forget about it. You've made this series come alive sir! :high5:
    ------------
    Gold has dropped under $1100 so the mint's pricing matrix should reflect that soon. That gives us 'dip' purchasers an opportunity to save a few bucks. I'm moving up the rungs of the First Spouse ladder and have my eye on the second Tyler spouse now. Don't want to invest too heavily as we have several more rather obscure presidents upcoming and their even more obscure spouses may have mintages lower than anything we've seen so far. In the hundreds rather than the thousands? Time will tell.
    ---------
    I hope you're correct that Anna is going away on Thursday next. It's time. And I hope you start "_____'s Demise" threads for each and every one of the ladies when their time nears. This has been a hoot.

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I appreciate the kind words! :high5:

Back in September 2009, I made an Anna Harrision final Unc prediction on one of Elaine's threads...it was for a final mintage of 3600-3800. We may just make the low end of that prediction. I think I made a Proof and Unc prediction somewhere, but I can't find it. :confused:

New prediction...(goes along with Elaine's predictions, but gives some "reasons why")...

Some have predicted that falling gold prices will cause sales to increase. That might be true if they are just short pull backs and prices rebound. However, if we see a sustained downtrend in PM prices, folks might not want to buy until prices stabilize (no sense trying to catch a falling knife!).

If you look at gold charts for the years of mid-term elections, nearly all of them show a rather steady downtrend in prices beginning 2-6 months prior to the election. 2002 was an exception...but it moved sideways and PM prices were at an all-time low.

Since we're at all time highs for PM prices, we're printing money like nobody's business, and the GOP will likely pick up Congressional seats this Fall, it's "likely" (not for sure, but likely) we may see a gentle, sustained decline in PM prices beginning in late Summer, early Fall.

My "theory" is that the markets suspect interest rates are held low to create the "illusion" of a good economy going into elections (regardless of who's in power). The markets will "anticipate" a corrective rise in interest rates (stronger dollar, weaker PM prices) after the election.

I know there are many folks out there that disagree with what I just said and they may be right. Hey! if I was right all the time, I would be on a yacht somewhere instead on CT! :goof:

I'm just saying...the "probability" (imho) is for the markets to anticipate higher interest rates (stronger dollar) in the second have of this year. If that happens, what happens to First Spouse sales?

I think that if PM prices have a slow, steady decline heading into November...FS sales will become stagnant...with most of the available money going towards the Buchanan and Lincoln coins. This should bode well for the coins Elaine predicts will be the true KEYs of the series. :hail:

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Yakpoo: Umm... are you still in one piece?

Regarding the Abigail Fillmore release...

from MintNewsBlog.com 3/15/2010

:computer:

17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'm stunned :yawn: Here's what I wrote in another thread...

18. elaine 1970

could this 15,000 maximum give this year 2010 four FS gold coins all sell out. then it will look like this:

2007-- martha washington-- 40,000
    2007-- abigail j adams---- 40,000
    2007-- liberty jefferson--- 40,000
    2007-- dolley madison--- 30,896
    2008-- elizabeth monroe---- 12,452
    2008-- louisa q. adams-- 11,677
    2008-- liberty jackson---- 12,560
    2008-- liberty van buren-- 11,849
    2009-- anna harrison---------- 9,772 (not final)
    2009-- letitia tyler-------- 7,637 (not final)
    2009-- julia tyler-------------- 6,986 (not final)
    2009-- sarah polk-------- 6,802 (not final)
    2009-- margaret taylor------ 4,972 (not final)
    2010-- abigail fillmore---- 15,000
    2010-- jane pierce------------ 15,000
    2010-- liberty buchanan-- 15,000
    2010-- mary lincoln----- 15,000

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Elaine...what effect do you think this will have on the 2009 coins still on sale? I'm thinking their sales will go up, also.

20. elaine 1970

again it will depend on gold prices. supply and demand. and the recovery of the economy. one bad thing is simply that very few people like to collect the first spouse. maybe because the designs were not attractive. maybe it's 24k .999 fineness. maybe the reverse were ugly. or lack of advertising from the mint. but my thought is the simple one. the mint charge too much. for instance. spot average gold at $1,101.00 per ounce. the price for FS proof is $729.00. unc is $716.00. the melt value is only $550.50. the gap is too huge. the mint sell bullion AGE 1/2 ounce to dealer at only $578.03.

21. krispy

krispy krispy

So many true and dynamic factors there to contend with! I agree very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted