Anna's Demise

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by yakpoo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Its just you and me know Tom. Danr has not been on in a while. Hobo hasn't been on in a long, long time. I think the FS collectors are falling off faster and faster!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh I do see good old Danr from time to time but what in the world happened to Hobo? He's not pickin' up his phone......

4. krispy

krispy krispy

Danr just posted last night/today about FS coins... seems to be waiting for further drop in prices, so he's out. :rolling:

5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Twenty years from now (when the Anna Harrison is selling for $15,000 on eBay) y'all will be thinking back on the time you could have picked one up from the Mint @ $700...Six weeks to go!!!

6. green18

The way things are going, in fifteen years I might be able to pick up a package of "Wrigley's spearmint gum" for that money......

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Touche :pencil:

8. green18

Yeah, but at that point your 15,000 will be 15,000,000.....:)

9. krispy

krispy krispy

...and there still won't be a market to sell them at $15 million! :rolling:

10. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

:headbang::crying:

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I doubled up on all the coins except the Jackson proof. I tried to order another one, but the Mint ended proof sales a couple of weeks early. Since then, I've been trying to get a PF70 on eBay for less than $1000...can't do it!

Just wait until we get to the modern First Spouses...like the Elenore Roosevelt or the Jackie Kennedy, these earlier issues are gonna be awfully tough to get...and eventually (after the series is over) interest will grow even more...(imho).

12. pale ridder

pale ridder Junior Member

i c how it is?? make fun of the new guy???? listen for the hoof beats! fuel pump? ram trucks? I AM TEASING HERE!!!

13. krispy

krispy krispy

I agree that the modern first spouses will drive up the mintage #s, due to a lot more interest in their lives and accomplishments, general popularity and household familiarity compared to earlier personages. Still it seems the market for the early 'keys' may be quite small, not just due to prices for them later on due to small mintage figures. I still highly admire the dedication it now takes collecting these as you are.

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would say less "dedication" than "pragmatism". No one knows what's going to happen in the future. Bullion prices may rise; they may fall. The only loss I have with these coins as compared to other bullion coins if the 25% premium the Mint charges. That's the maximum "downside" risk.

The upside is limitless. Granted (for whatever reason) people are far less interested in the achievements of women than men...assuming you can call being a First Spouse and "achievement". However...eventually...that all fades away and collectors get back to collecting.

Take the 1893 Columbian exposition, for instance. There were over 1.5 million Columbian Half dollars minted, but less than 25,000 Columbian (Isabella) quarters. No one cared about the "Board of Women Managers" at the time...but now, the Isabella quarter is a "must have" for true commemorative collectors and sells at a significant premium.

There's a chance the same could happen with the First Spouse series. If it doesn't, I end up with some nice bullion coins that will eventually make up their Mint premium (many already have). If it does, I end up with a complete collection that others can only dream about...and the Anna Harrison will be one (if not "the") key to the series...and it's still available from the Mint!!!

That's the purpose of this thread...get the word out before it's too late.

15. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I abandoned the series this year. I was a big fan of the series at the start as it seemed like a great way to accumulate some low mintage gold and thought there would be some great designs along the way.

I started to get turned off to the series with the Mint's new pricing structure that floats with spot prices as it seems to have locked in a healthy premium for the Mint where before under the old policy I was able to buy much closer to melt value at times. I also became disinterested in the series with the relatively boring designs. I mean how many coins of people sitting at desks reading or writing do we need??? And finally, when gold got to be around $1200/oz and the Mint prices well above that, I just really quit having fun putting a good portion of my coin budget into this series (uncs and proofs) when there were so many classic coins that I wanted to buy.

Accordingly, I kept my proof and unc Jefferson, Jackson and Van Buren Liberty designs and I sold off all of the rest of them. Fortunately I sold when gold was just over $1200/oz so I felt pretty good about it, especially when I used a good portion of the proceeds to buy my 1909-S Indian Head Cent graded PCGS MS65RD!! So basically I traded 5+ ounces of gold for a penny ;)

I'll still buy the Buchanan Liberty design, but other than that I'm out on this series. I think some of the more modern spouses will be a little more popular than the current offerings, but I still don't think any will come close to selling out as long as the Mint premiums remain at the levels they are. And although the current coins have relatively low mintages, there just isn't the demand for these at prices too far above melt and I'm not sure there ever will be. Just too expensive of a series for 95% of all collectors to get into and I think that severely limits the potential of the series.

16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Excellent post!! Every coin investment book I've ever read says we should stay away from modern commemoratives and invest in the highest quality key date coins we can afford. You got out of gold at the top and bought a beautiful "key date" coin that will appreciate nicely over time. :thumb:

I think an awful lot of people feel the same as you...

LOL...can't argue with that!

On the other hand, I don't know of ANY US gold coin with a mintage less than 10,000 that hasn't appreciated well...eventually. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Btw, the 2007 four (4) coin boxes (Unc and Proof) make a really nice display for the FS Liberty mini-series. The boxes are difficult to find (I've seen a few on eBay)...I don't think the Mint sold very many so they may be collector items in their own right. They only take the 2007 size capsule so you would have to put your Liberty coins in the 2007 sized capsules.

jaceravone sold me his 2007 "Four Coin" boxes and the Liberty coins look great in them. I can't wait for the Buchanan coins to come out so I can complete the display.

18. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The 4 coin boxes would be cool for the Liberty set, but I'm too chicken to crack the 2008s out of the bigger capsules so that they'd fit in the box. I keep them all in the safe deposit box anyways, so I really don't need a display case of any type.

19. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I can't wait to see Yakpoos finished product. It will look stuning. Just be careful with those coins!!!

20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

PS - if anyone is going to buy.....this may be the week to do it. The price dropped last week, but gold is starting to shoot back up. There may be another price change by the end of this week. I will wait and see how gold does tomorrow and make my decision tomorrow night.

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Well, the wind's howling and it's raining like crazy here in Newport News, VA. There's a tornado warning to the south heading this way. I return to MD this Sunday to dig my house out from under the blizzard...not looking forward to that!

Anna's update...Five (5) weeks to go!! As of February 3rd...

3153 Unc (up 11)
    6067 Proof (up 12)

We now need "average" weekly sales of 214 Uncs and 277 Proofs to catch Louisa Adams and avoid being the new Key date of the series. That's an awful lot of coins! Looks like Anna's gonna be the KEY (for a little while, at least).

Draft saved Draft deleted