[Ancients] Guess the Cointalker 2021 (Master Thread)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Feb 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

OYEZ ! OYEZ !

This is an announcement !

- Since he's a YN
    - Since he guessed whose coin was #1 in a very smart way
    - Since I learned how to spell a new word in english
    - Since he publicly admited not owning a Severus Alexander coin of any sort
    - Since he got all the answers right

I would like to adding to all the prizes an extra prize from my own collection. And this coin I would like to sponsor to @Claudius_Gothicus

@Claudius_Gothicus, would you prefer to know right now what it is or would you like to discover what it is on arrival ?

And of course, please PM me your shipping address so I can send the coin ASAP

Q

Edited for messing up ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

Well, this day is shaping up to be a fantastic one indeed! @Curtisimo, I'd like to choose Mystery Prize #4, as I am simply curious to see what the proof of alien contact in the 4th century is - maybe we could finally prove that aliens exist and end up in the history books :p:D!

@Cucumbor, I'm truly flattered :woot:! Your generosity really is admirable! I want to thank you very much for your offer and, personally, I'd prefer to find out what your prize is on the day I receive it - it would be a very pleasant surprise indeed :).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Yippee, I got one right :happy:! Thank you Curtis for organizing this fun event & to CT members who donated prizes :D.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't believe I got 3 of 5 correct. For me it was like placing the names in a hat and drawing for my guess. And guess it was. Thanks @cumcumber for running this and for making CT fun to participate. It just proves that numismatics doesn't have to be all academics and stuffiness!
    Happy Days.jpg

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It is no wonder people confused coin number two with my collection so frequently. I have almost the exact same coin as Curtis, which I have never posted before:

Syracuse Tet 4Na.jpg

So folks who guessed Theodosius for coin number two were on the right track with my collecting interests.

:)

I'd like to thank Curtis for taking all the time to run this really fun contest. I recommend taking part as a coin owner in the future if you get a chance because it is just as much fun as trying to guess. I actually sent Curtis my guesses by PM so I could play along on the other four.

I thought about using reverse psychology and using a coin of Theodosius! I actually have a weak spot for coins of Theodosius and I'm building a small collection of them. Doug Smith posted a really nice one in one of the threads. It seems the gold coins of Theodosius are pretty expensive so I've never had a chance to snag one.

John

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I am confused about the last paragraph of Theodosius here. And it is only 8:12 AM!!! Oh! Oh!! I get it... lol. duh!

Alegandron, Theodosius and Curtisimo like this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Woooot!! I won??

ezgif-2-539f0923eea1.gif

And I get to choose my own prize? Well, that's even better than the Golden Globes! Well, I'd like to choose Mystery Prize #2, provided by @Theodosius, because I know the man gives the best gifts. However, seeing as I already own all the coins, I'd like for my prize to go to our resident dragon keeper, @Johndakerftw, with the request that she post a pic of the coin and a new one of Herbert (preferably together!) when it reaches her.

As always, a huge thank you to @Curtisimo for putting in the effort to keep our little community here entertained and in good spirits! :)

9. LaCointessa

Thanks again @Curtisimo TG. I am amazed I had even 2 correct answers! But I am so happy that I did get the Parthicus one right! :-D It was way fun and CONGRATULATIONS to all our winners!!!

10. LaCointessa

Congrats, Zumbly!!! This is great @zumbly !!! I look forward to seeing another photograph of that adorable Herbert! Yaaaaayyyy :happy:

11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

:jawdrop::jawdrop:Thanks so much, @zumbly! I really appreciate it!

This will be Herbert’s first introduction to ancient coins. I’m sure he’s going to really appreciate it. As long as the coin doesn’t wiggle, we’re good. Lol

Erin

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

LOL. Well, I don't expect it to wiggle, but according to Curtis, it may jump... :D
    I have to admit, I'm dying to know what it is!

13. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I suggest we add one more virtual award
    upload_2021-3-9_6-33-9.png
    Thanks for the fun and impressively well illustrated and well organized competition!

P.S. having been foiled by those coins of Sicily, I choose inspiration from a Sicilian saying:
    Ci dissi u surci a nuci; dammi tempu ca ti perciu
    “The mouse said to the nut: give me time and I shall reach you”

14. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

@Al Kowsky you only got one right but it was right on ! You killed it when you said (I'm going to guess bcuda on this coin because of a thread he posted on January 4, 2021. In that thread he wrote "I had only seen pictures of them (folles) in books when I first started in ancients but never realized how large they really were until I found one metal detecting when I lived in Spain." Coin #3 sure looks like a metal detecting find :smuggrin:)
    I have always loved a large green bronze and it is just like I found it metal detecting from over 30 years ago. I had so much fun finding this coin and I could still take you to within about 25ft from where I found it and that is the reason I would never let it go.

@Severus Alexander You Sir are the Gentleman not me! ( I'm going for bcuda too... because he is just the sort of gentleman to have an attachment to a Severus Alexander bronze acquired many years ago!)
    I thank you for the compliment and the correct pick !

@Sulla80 I guess my deception factor did not stump you and your prediction engine . I loved your response : We can confidently rule out the first choice as "invalid option" and I guess I have another insect to track down in the coming days. As we can see from this thread - human intelligence has surpassed the bot in both speed and accuracy. Despite the unsurprising outcome, I have selected @bcuda as the owner of Coin #3

@Ignoramus Maximus and you picking me was the best of all cause you couldn't find any blue socks in the drawers earlier this afternoon.

@dougsmit and your detector theory was spot on Doug !

@svessien your comment was the most correct of all one of all, yes I had a lot more flashy coins to chose from but this one gave me the most pleasure with the memory of me finding it. : (This must be @bcuda Why? It’s a modest coin from a sympathetic emperor, fitting well with the collector; a modest and sympathetic man who prefers to present a fond memory rather than a flashy coin)

@Curtisimo I would like to thank you for letting me be a part of this contest. It seems I was the easiest one to chose from according to all the correct guesses. I would like to donate something to the next contest whenever you decide to do another one.

15. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Happy to get three right
    Thank you curtisimo for the great idea of this contest. And thanks bcuda, Theodosius, cucumbor, Parthicus and all who generously donated prizes.
    I had great fun playing and count me in next year!:)

16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

A well deserved bonus prize for a CTer who obviously put a lot of thought into the game this year. Here is hoping many more years of collecting fun for you.

So do you want to wait and be surprised for Prize #4 as well or do you want to me to reveal?

Congratulations @zumbly and @Johndakerftw ! Your Herbert post was one of the highlights of the game Erin. :happy: This is another well deserved prize for a member who always seems to find the time to read, like and provide great comments on so many of the posts here. This community appreciates you Erin!

So what do you say? Do you want to reveal the prize or wait to see what it is when it arrives?

17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My main feeling after reading this thread today: Wow, we have the bestest coin group ever, don't we!! :happy:

And @Curtisimo has a new nickname!
    :hilarious:

18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Wow. I really thought I would've gotten at least one right...Bummer. I feel like my spot in the winner's circle is undeserved.

19. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to wait and then post the coins here once I've received them - I like surprises :shame:.

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow! Nice job WINNERS... I am NOT surprised by the Winning Triumvirate ... they seem to be always astute about folks here!
    Congrats everyone!

LOL, Thank you, @Curtisimo ... what an awesome job you have done on this very fun and entertaining game!
    Yeah, I will always come from a different angle; challenge the norm; be the Black Prince! Why be like anyone else? :D

Flipping an Ancient Coin be like:

upload_2021-3-9_12-10-48.png
    This never bothered me in school... :)

Attached Files:

21. LaCointessa

Here! Here!
    Yes!! For Sure!
    Let it be so!

Draft saved Draft deleted