"Ancient Ruins" vintage postcard giveaway (drawing on Apr. 1, 2018)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 17, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Geod recently sent me a big batch of vintage postcards.

These were in the mix.

Figured they'd make a fun giveaway for my ancient-minded friends.

I'll do a random drawing on or shortly after April 1, to coincide with the one for my regular monthly giveaway (which you're also cordially invited to enter).

Winner gets all three postcards shown below.

To enter, merely post one of your favorite Roman coins you own, and/or one you'd like to own.

20180317_134722.jpg 20180317_134643.jpg 20180317_134556.jpg 20180317_134515.jpg 20180317_134428.jpg 20180317_134314.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I love my Augustus Denarius. It might be big time busted budget coin. But that's how I afforded it and just how I like it. The break is very fortunate as it doesn't ruin the IMO great portrait nor the reverse.
    20180316_192358.jpg 20180316_192424.jpg

Augustus AR Denarius 27BCE-14CE
    Lugdunum mint
    Gaus and Lucius Caesar reverse

My dream is Sulla's dream, haha. Some day...

aemilia12.jpg

L Aemilius Buca AR Denarius. January 44 BC. Diademed head of Venus Victrix right / Allegedly “Sulla’s Dream” - Reclining male figure left; before him, Luna seated left on rock, extending lighted torch in right hand; behind him, Victory standing almost to front, holding cursor’s long palmae staff in raised right hand. Cr480/1, Syd 1064

Thanks for the kind giveaway @lordmarcovan ! Very cool post cards:cool:

4. lordmarcovan

You can post your favorite Roman and dream-coin Roman even if you don't want the postcards, y'know.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Ryro likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since one of the cards shows the Temple of Jupiter, I'll show a Jupiter. This is an Anonymous Pagan issue of Antioch c.313 AD.
    ru3740b02172lg.jpg

Since one of the cards shows the Colosseum dedicated by Titus, I'll show a Titus even though it is not his Colosseum type.
    rb1355fd1851.jpg

Since one of the cards shows Hadrian's tomb, I'll show a Hadrian. This one has Minerva. rc1865fd0293.jpg

6. lordmarcovan

But that IS my favorite Titus type. :)

[​IMG]

7. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

As always, it is very kind of you @lordmarcovan you are a generous guy. I only have a dozen or so Roman coins, so picking a favorite is easy: my nicely silvered Probus
    20170616_063149.png

There are many Roman coins I would love to own, if money was no issue, but the one I would go for first is a Tremissis of Majorian. He is such a fascinating guy, the last western emperor of any merit. If the western Roman Empire had been blessed with a few more emperors of his quality might it have held on for longer?
    10100683.jpg

8. lordmarcovan

Well, in this case, @Geod was the generous guy. He sent me a pretty big stack of postcards, even though neither of us really collect them or know what they're worth. These are relatively modern- but there were some going back to WW1 in the batch. I'm sending him some coins for the cards, but only because I insist- he didn't.

Ryro likes this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

415.jpeg My favorite coin would be the temple of Jupiter, an AE from Septimius Severus.

10. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Neat postcards, please enter me in the contest. Hard to choose just one of my Roman coins as a favorite, but I'd probably choose this sestertius of Trajan for its strong portrait and historical reverse of Trajan presenting the puppet-king Parthamaspates to the Parthians:
    Trajan.jpg

11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'd love to take those off your hands!

Here's one I'd love to own!
    20171027_143722.jpg

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Not as perfect by a long shot:
    rc1810bb0574.jpg

13. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Very cool giveaway. I think my Hadrian sestertius is tops for me.

09B86263-1AC6-47C4-9974-2186FADC79E0.jpeg

These postcards are bittersweet for me. The messages are happy and I’m sure the recipients enjoyed them, but I imagine all parties have passed on and that makes me sad. A forgotten time and practice that deserves preservation.

14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I really like the postcards..
    Here is my favorite coin in my limited collection:
    S20180303_0004.jpg S20180303_0005.jpg
    and here is a coin I would love to own someday:
    Claudius.png

15. lordmarcovan

Almostt time to draw a winner here, since I just did that for my regular monthly (March) giveaway.

But since I would rather do the random number picks from a real computer with a mouse and keyboard rather than on my mobile phone (it's easier to screenshot and create an image of the results on a desktop PC), I'll hold off on the drawing for just a little longer. Maybe I'll do it on my Monday night overnight shift (in the wee hours of Tuesday morning).

This gives a last-minute chance at entering to anyone else who wants in, since I notice this thread had sunk waaay down into the back pages during the latter half of March, and was semi-forgotten by most (myself incuded).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  16. lordmarcovan

Haven't forgotten about this. I'll do a drawing and announce it and ship these before too terribly long, I promise. Just gonna be scarce around here for a few more days, most likely.

17. lordmarcovan

@Parthicus - you've "won".

I put that in quotes because I must confess to everyone else that I skipped the random drawing and decided that @Parthicus needed to have these, for a special personal reason that came up in a PM conversation with him. (I'll let him disclose that if he likes, but will respect his privacy otherwise).

However, I still did do a random drawing to make up for changing the game, and being so tardy with this (due to other distractions in my life), and @Justin Lee's number came up, from Post #10.

upload_2018-4-18_4-21-31.png

So @Justin Lee - you'll get a little sumpin'-sumpin' "mystery gift".

And @Parthicus - you get the postcards.

Y'all please send me your shipping addresses. I'll try to get 'em shipped before forever (again, sorry I've been so scarce in these parts lately).

Theodosius, Ryro, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  18. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Oh wow! Yay! Thank you, LM!

Theodosius likes this.
  19. Parthicus

Wow, thanks so much! I just sent you my address via PM. I guess this means I need to make my own contest or giveaway soon, to spread the joy.

Theodosius and Justin Lee like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

Just be aware that I've been embarrassingly lax in keeping up with my giveaway shipping obligations lately (particularly as far as poor @Lunchbox John is concerned), but I'll get back to work on CT stuff soon. Sorry I've been scarce.

Shipping may be slow, but you'll get your goodies, I promise.

Justin Lee likes this.
  21. Parthicus

I was happy to find the postcards in my mail today, thanks for sending them! Today I also received my wins from the latest Triskeles auction, which I will photograph and post here when I get a chance (probably not for at least a week, I am going to be busy at work the next few days).

Draft saved Draft deleted