Featured An Oxford half pound, Charles I, 1643

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by robinjojo, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

That's an awesome coin. It's the kind of thing I would buy if I came across it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Spectacular example! No surprise it has a good provenance. Nice job Rob finding it.

4. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

But the guy who bought it at Lingford only paid GBP 30 !

5. robp

robp Well-Known Member

I know, it's frightening, but £30 went a long way in 1950. I was thinking the same when I was bidding on a Chas.II shilling in 2007. It was Lockett 2627 which sold in 1956 for £56, a fortune for the time. Half a century later I put a bid in of 50 or 60x the Lockett price but still came second on the day. :(

talerman likes this.
  6. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

According to the Bank of England, goods and services costing GBP 30 in 1950 would have cost GBP 1035.73 in 2019. Inflation was 5.3% p.a. over that period. Rarish coins beat inflation by some way, despite some ups and downs.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh. Interesting.

8. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

That coin is beautiful! Amazing history behind it too!

Lately I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can about European coinage in the Middle Ages.

The whole pound, Sterling, pence gets a bit confusing. Especially when they start adding sovereigns and groats and all sorts of stuff.

Anyway I just wanted to congratulate you on your ownership of a gem of a coin.

Please take good care of it! It deserves to live on beautifully for centuries to come.

lordmarcovan and robinjojo like this.
  9. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Yes, the old British (pre-decimal) system is quite confusing. That's why the made the switch in 1971.

Perhaps this link will help:

https://www.yours.co.uk/leisure/nostalgia/old-money-uk/

10. Gam3rBlake

Hey bud do you mind me asking what you paid for this?

Or can you give a price range?

Im just curious how much a piece similar to this would set me back.

Thanks! Great coin!

11. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Ain't Cheap.

There's one available on Vcoins for £ 9,500.00 or $12,782.56 based on today's weak US dollar to British pound exchange rates.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/so...s_i_1643_oxford_halfpound/879917/Default.aspx

12. Gam3rBlake

Draft saved Draft deleted