Ammo Can for Storage?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Apr 7, 2016.

1. STU

STU Active Member

I also have plastic cans I prefer the metal ones as they can help save some of my collections in time of disasters because of the beating they can take the only thing that I know of in my cans was ammo and I don't get any smell

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

I keep other precious metals in my ammo cans, Brass and lead!

4. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

I have never noticed any particular smell from the plastic boxes. They do not seem to have affected the ammo in any way, and as Truble points out, there are a number of metals in there. Brass, lead, aluminum, copper, steel, and chrome. The insides of the ammo, ie, powder, primer, are protected by the basic manufacture and sealed, but the bullets and casings are exposed, and made from all sorts of different metals. About the only thing that seems affected is the aluminum cased stuff, which oxidizes a bit. Of course, ammo is not acquired for its looks, so most ignore any small imperfections.
    Ammo cans are strong, whether steel or plastic. They have a rubber seal to protect from moisture, and that handy folding handle on the top. They stack nicely, and are a handy size. They are even available in a variety of sizes. for you stackers who want to hoard away your PM's.

STU likes this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I want to put some kind of packing material in the can to keep the silver bullion and coins be stable. Any recommendations?

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So I am trying to find the most efficient way to stack my silver bars. The main issue that I am having is the plastic covering that they come in. This ends up taking a huge amount of space in the can. I'm better off stacking tubed rounds to save space. Anyone else have this problem?

7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

No. But I'm sitting here thinking, I wish I did have that problem. I would build a bigger house. :happy:

V. Kurt Bellman and Stevearino like this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I just went to the Army Navy Store and they said I could have unlimited silica packets for free. They have me a big bag full. Anyone know the shelf life of these if they are put in a safe or ammo can? I can replenish when the time is up for free!

CoinZone and Stevearino like this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Also what kind of charcoal product do I want to keep silver from tarnishing?

10. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Ammo cans are for ammunition :)

The best way to store your PMs are avoid telling your friends, coworkers, and family that you own any.

WHEN you get a safe, keep it out of view from visitors; the cable guy, carpet cleaner, etc.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

All my stash is in a safe. I was just wondering what products I can put in it to keep my silver from tarnishing. I'm not into toned ASE's and Rounds.

12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

When you get a safe also get a second, much smaller one. Leave that visible with little in it. Then no one will think of looking for the second, main one which you have hidden.

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

The one I have right now could become my diversion safe in the near future.

14. STU

STU Active Member

i have lots of these cans and never had a problem with my coins some have been in them over 40 years .I do put the packs in them i have never changed them and yes i have looked at the coins in the ammo boxes from time to timeI. have an inventory sheet inside each one so i know whats in them
    and the last time i checked them. i have been storing coins in the cans along time and they are easy to hide

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I just smelled my safe. All the silica packets I got from the Army Navy store have made it smell like new leather inside. Could that hurt anything?

16. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

I found some silica ones on Amazon that are like small bricks and with a color indicator on them when they need to be dried out. You stick them in the oven for a while and it dries them out. Seem to work well.

i also have a small heat strip in my safe that is to prevent rust on guns. it does a great job because it keeps things dry and there are no chemicals involved.

Bman33 likes this.
  17. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

18. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So I just ordered the silica packs that change color and some 3M anti-tarnish strips. Hope this works in my safe because I really don't want to have my rounds and ASE's Tarnish. The Army Navy Store silica packets were a bust because they made everything smell like leather and I was afraid of some gases getting in there.

19. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  20. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

The first one was on eBay, this one on Amazon and might be a little more heavy duty
    Capture.JPG

21. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

The ebay and amazon ones are fine. Some of the little packets can be baked to dry them out, some can't. I'd just get the larger metal units that go in the oven for a couple hours to "recharge". You probable only need the little packets if you want additional protection inside of smaller containers within your safe.

I have also read that people have placed metals that are more reactive than silver (like copper or zinc) inside their storage containers. The theory is metals that are more reactive will be attacked first. People use those blocks of "copper bullion" or pennies that they polish up all pretty and just re-polish every so often as they oxidize. Not sure how effective this is...

Draft saved Draft deleted