Ammo Can for Storage?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Doesn't certain plastics emit gases that can corrode coins over time ??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

There's a few chemists on here that might know.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Generally not the plastics themselves, but additives such as plasticizers or adhesives attaching them together. Plastics ( organic polymers generally) are typically very inert to outgassing, but in order to change some such as Polyvinyl Chloride ( PVC_ from a solid, relatively inflexible, opaque material ( plumbing) into flexible, transparent coin holders, etc, a group of chemicals called Phthalate, Adipate and other Polymeric Plasticizers are added. These can gas out and if they condense on coins surface, can in some conditions produce acidic reactions on coin metal, especially copper based. With flexible PVC flips, as much as 30% plasticizer can be initially present and take 20-30 years to outgas. Most of these have left the market place, but some sellers use them as they are softer on a coin until it is someone else's problem. Hard plastic holders are safe as they do not have the additives. Hard plastic holders do breath as they are affected by changes in atmospheric pressure that acts on the 2 shells. Airtites(tm) of course are not immune from this as they are not air tight.

Alegandron and Clawcoins like this.
  5. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

I have been using the ammo cans for years, they work very well and handle the weight good

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Recently, I tried stacking some 10oz silver bars in the plastic ammo can I bought. Didn't go so well. The plastic protector that they come in doesn't allow you to stack the silver that great. In fact, 20 rounds in a tube stack much better. Bars are supposed to be better for stacking I heard but almost all of them these days come in those plastic protectors which makes them cumbersome. Anybody have a solution?

7. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Set them free.

Bman33 likes this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I did two weeks ago. I am barless.

Blaubart and Stevearino like this.
  9. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I've seen no signs of any tarnish/wear on a lot of French Francs I've had in a 50 caliber ammo can for about 3 years already. Though they are .999 nickel, I hear it's hard to tarnish nickel coins. Is that true?

10. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I meant cut them out of their pouches, but that works just as well.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What's the best way to stack them then without scratching the bars?

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Keep them in their plastic but use rubber bands to stack them.

13. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Unless they are special premium bars of some sort, don't worry about scratching them.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So I put some of my bullion and some silver coins in in my plastic ammo case this week. I went to the pharmacy and they gave me silica packets and the plastic cylinder ones too. I dumped them all in the case around the bullion and coins. Does this sound right?

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If they were formerly inserts in medication, they are different than the normal mineral of silica, meaning they should not be heated to the temperatures mentioned often on the internet to recycle ( dehydrate) them for reuse. If they have a color internally, they probably can be used until the color changes. I have reused some by dehydrating them in desert temps if the humidity is around 15% until the indicator reverses. If no indicator ,find a post 1982 bright cent in change and rough up the surface with a scrubber and put it on top. It will react with moisture and environmental gases before the silver will ( sacrificial ), then change or dehydrate the silicas.

Bman33 likes this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

17. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Toss a couple of those air dryer things in. Yo can also get ammo boxes made of plastic, which will not rust.

I used my boxes for actual ammo, but water rotted out the bottoms, so I switched to plastic. Now I lots of ammo, but no way to shoot.

18. STU

STU Active Member

I use these have been for 40 years plus never had a problem yet I do have the silicon packs in them

19. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

When I worked in a coin shop, a guy came in to buy silver with a stack of old $100 bills. They smelled like gun oil. I asked and he confirmed that they were kept in old ammo cans.

He said he was a retired general contractor, and he has a few of these ammo cans, filled with $100 bills, from "those times that I did some jobs under the table"...

Saying that, you should make sure that these ammo cans are totally free from any old residue, chemicals, oils, etc...

20. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

I dunno. I like the smell of gun oil......and money!

21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I have a brand new plastic ammo can. Hope it works well. Wanted to know if it was ok to put cloth in it long term to keep the silver stable in the can.

Draft saved Draft deleted