Ammo Can for Storage?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ammo CAn.jpg

I was thinking about storing my Silver in one of these to help it from tarnishing. Any thoughts? I have the security side down, more worried about the preservation. Also, what is the material that you can put in the box to help tarnishing too? I thought it was something that you could get at a pet store.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I prefer not to store metal in metal containers. Are you thinking of silicone dioxide, the drying agent? I'm not familiar with its availability in pet stores, but I have my wife (who works in a pharmacy) save me the little packets. One can also purchase it in a form that can be recharged in an oven.

Steve

TJ1952 and Bman33 like this.
  4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of charcoal sold by pet shops for fish tanks. Anyone heard of that?

6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

You don't want to use charcoal as it contains sulfur. Stick with the silica gel.

Stevearino, Alegandron and Bman33 like this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

there are 3m silver anti-tarnish strips you can get
    I don't know how good they are for silver coins.
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Anti-Tarnish-Silver-Protector-Strips/dp/B004PWMQNI

I have those ammo cans that I let the kids use as lockable safes (have a keylock attached). They do make Plastic copy ones too.

edit: didn't think of the sulfur from above post .. so not a good idea.

Bman33 likes this.
  8. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

put some sacrificial new pennies in there with the silver, they'll react with the sulfides in the air before the silver will.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They are probably referring to 'activated charcoal' rather than 'charcoal'. It has a huge surface area/w and is produced at temps around 800 deg. C. , which will burn off almost all sulfur. It is an efficient trapping material. Maybe used as a deodorizing material for litter boxes or supplement for the animals that may have consumed poisons or are producing large amounts of intestinal gas ( works on humans also I hear). Rather than that get a bunch of bright new cents and scratch them up and use them as sacrificial metal for any sulfur or other environmental gases. The outer layer is 100% copper, more reactive than silver or other monetary metals. [Ha, At beat me :) ] But is correct.

Alegandron, atcarroll and Bman33 like this.
  10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys, it helps. I am going to put a plan together before I buy anything and see what you all think. My 10oz bars came in semi sealed plastic holders. Would those be sufficient or would you suggest another product that is better for stacking?

11. Clawcoins

"semi sealed" plastic holders

what does that mean ?

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I don't know a protective bag of some sort. Doesn't look airtight.

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Cabelas and some other places sell nice new plastic cans. Same color. The metal ones typically have a strong odor when you open them. Likely built up from the paint. Idk if I'd trust them.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Jaelus likes this.
  14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I checked out an Army Navy Surplus store and they have the plastic ammo cans. Going to go that route.

15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Those metal ammo cans are great, many different uses.

16. Clawcoins

FYI, the metal ammo cans are water tight. There's a rubber gasket around the inside part of the lid. They seal pretty good as submersed them before just to test them. They do stink quite a bit and need some cleaning and airing even if new. As mentioned, I'd check the plastic ones out at your local army navy store or online.

17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

For Stacking silver bars, in your guys experience are the airtight containers good?

18. STU

STU Active Member

I have a lot of these cans and for me they work great I do put in silicon packs I have had coins in them for over 40 years recently I have been going thru them to record what I have in them none of my silver has changed they look as good as the days I put them in there I also have rolls that have been in them for as long they to are the same no tarnish. they are stored in a cool unheated place and I have a dehumidifier I run now and then in the summer and early spring

Bman33 likes this.
  19. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Just for the record, most of the activated charcoal sold in pet stores is for use in fish aquarium filters. I used to keep fish until I had to move a lot; a real pain to get rid of everything and start up again, but I loved my little finny friends.

Steve

Bman33 likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I used one. I went from a semi arid climate to a humid, then back. 3 years time. I have had the box open for the last month, and searched a few rolls, It is hard to tell how much the Metal box did to the coins but I have found a few "from my first collection", that I am proud of.

21. Soiled

Soiled Everyone has coin Avatars. I chose space.

Just buy a bunch of airtites and throw them in a box.

myownprivy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted