American Silver Eagles vs Canadian Maple Leafs

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by rockyyaknow, Oct 28, 2012.

1. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I have a few ASE's and just got my first CML yesterday. I was wondering what you all thought would be a better investment given their actual face value. Most people believe that the ASE's are in more demand, but they only have a $1 face while the CML have a $5 face. If silver for some reason plummets it seems that the CML is a much better investment.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

If I paid thirty something dollars for either one and silver were to plummet so that the face value is over the melt value I don't think I would ever spend them at face.

4. rockyyaknow

I agree with that, but if you needed the money the face value should be the better bet.

5. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

true but then you would have to go to canada to get that face value

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The price of silver would have to drop below $5 Canadian.

7. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Canadiam dollar has been strong over the last couple of years. Premiums and all else except face value being equal, the ML would be the better choice.

8. Okie jack

Okie jack New Member

I think the maple is a nicer looking coin . I own both and one thing I get tired of is the same ol design at least the maples have privy's and they look more like a proof coin to me compared to the eagle . That's just my 2 cents

9. rockyyaknow

I agree I like the Maples better. The leaf on the back looks real nice. I want a 2013 Kookaburra, they are a good looking coin.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think it depends upon which side of the border you reside. ASE's here, but Mapleleafs are very pretty indeed........

11. beachbum99

beachbum99 Member

I like Maples. Some have lower mintages than ASEs. I also like the ones with privy marks.

12. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

I've had bad luck with milk spots on my Maple Leafs. From what I've read, it is a fairly common problem linked to planchet preparation at the RCM.

13. Okie jack

Okie jack New Member

That's is the only problem I have with maples and why in the h_ll don't they fix it. I mean come on you makes millions of coins for billions of dollars but you can not fix the milk spots ?

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I called the bullion desk at ScotiaBank some time ago and asked them about the $5 face value. They told me that if the price of silver dropped below $5, Canadian banks would not pay $5 for the coin. The face value is only there in order to enable Canada to export the coins to certain countries without paying excise taxes, but that's all.

15. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Interesting. But they are willing to accept their $5 face value today?

16. rockyyaknow

Funny how that works huh?

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

From what I was told, no. But it probably depends on the honesty of the particular bank teller and manager.

18. lonegunlawyer

So . . . . . is the ML legal tender in Canada? If so, I cannot imagine a bank not not paying out $5 in paper even if the value of silver did drop below $5/oz. Even then, paper $5 bills have no intrinsic value. Therefore, ScotiaBank was shoveling Boolsit outta der bum.

19. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

ASE's, Leafs, Britannia, Philharmonics are all interchangable to me. My personal preference is for the Mexican Onza's.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. lonegunlawyer

Those are cool. Where is a good place to get a couple?

21. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I recently read that even the $20 for $20 coins aren't redeemable for cash, so no reason the Maple needs to be.

As it stands, the one thing a lot of stackers complain about in regards to the Maples is the milk spotting. It has something to do with the borax not being completely cleaned off them before annealing, and the randomly appear. From experience, they are more likely to appear in humid climates. If you're buying them for silver content alone, then either is still an ounce of silver, and if you don't care about the appearance, buy what you want. I don't think there is a refiner in the world that cares about milk spots, and I can't imagine a reason they would.

Draft saved Draft deleted