American Silver Eagles (Mintages vs Market Value)

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

I have noticed that while hanging out at local shops, is that they go for about half of the spot price without paperwork to back it up. Is that the norm?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

You are probably speaking of the collector's version of the ASE's (proof's, reverse proof's, etc.). You don't get a certificate with bullion ASE's. I wouldn't think that the certificate would lower the value by half. It is obvious from the mint marks, condition, etc. of a collector's ASE to assess its authenticity. I not aware of a huge Chinese rip-off market for the collector's ASE's.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

ohh the Chinese will clone or doop. anything popular to make a buck$$

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

If they can fake the coin, they can fake the certificate of authenticity. I've been to China, they are quite clever.

kaosleeroy108 and LA_Geezer like this.
  6. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

No they were the same ASE's I have in my collection. My guess is if you look shady and don't have a receipt or proof of purchase you're going to get half of spot at some shops.

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Actually there are thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of them and more every year.

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

An ASE is worth 1 OZ in Silver, just like the AGE is worth 1 OZ of Gold
    Lesser coins minted per year does add in to rareity however value ?
    And dont get me started about grading bullion...LOL

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. Adam mark

Adam mark New Member

The way Iook at it, melt price for silver is around 15 to 16 bucks. Just because the mint formed them into pretty looking coins means nothing in upgraded condition. Sure you can pay to have them graded, ms69, 68 or worse and pay more than the coins worth. Bottom line when buying raw silver bullion, take the going rate for raw, add an additional five bucks for their trouble and call it a done deal. If you want to be nice add six bucks provided they'll sell 10 coins or more period. Hey, it ain't your fault they bought in 1996 when silver was out the roof. Believe me there are plenty of people willing to do one stop shopping for cash and move on to a better investment.

crazyd likes this.
  10. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Thanks for keeping the thread going, I did not know of the thread. Good to look at the data. Looks like 2017s, 2018s, and maybe even this years ASE will carry a premium in 10 years due to lower mintage. Been buying during this time, 20 @ a time, whatever the cost at the local. and storing away.

11. LA_Geezer

Just a short part of the Money Metals Exchange email from yesterday:

12. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The ASE bullion coins seem to be retaining value over silver prices. They are typically about $2 to $6 over their intrinsic value. The demand on the 2019 and 2020 bullion coins are pushing their value to about $6 over intrinsic value, but they will most likely slip in the outyears. Personally, I love the design and buy one each year. Here is the latest mintages versus values:

ASE Bullion (January 2020).png

ripple, LA_Geezer and slackaction1 like this.
  13. LA_Geezer

Thanks for reminding me. I have been waiting for one of the ebay dealers I've used before to post some of the 2020s. Looks like prices are up compared to recent years.

14. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I got a ase for 20$ from Littleton coin company , I don't recommend them but sometimes they have cue catches that make it decent..

15. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of uncirculated ASE's from every year... and also Proof's. I kind feel like these days if I had to sell them in coin shop I am not getting much if anything over spot.

16. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

My LCS will buy ASEs for spot +.75

crazyd likes this.
  17. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Year - Any. Mintage - N/A. Original - N/A, Current - spot + $0.75.

18. LA_Geezer

Just out after a 19-day stay in the hospital, I was able to see Mr Mezak work his magic on the last of an era, aka a 2020 ASE. Send him $79.95 and he'll he'll mail you an MS70 graded 2020 ASE. Such a deal, I thought, then pursued the subject this AM only to find many available for less than $40 on ebay. I bought one slabbed.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

On the one hand, good on you for not giving MM another $40+ profit. On the other hand, in the wake of a three-week hospital stay in the US, doesn't $40 seem kind of... inconsequential?

20. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I'd like to buy a batch of ASE random years to begin putting together a collection, but I'm afraid buying from the big bullion dealers online at "random years" will get me all the same date. Might have to make a visit to the LCS and purchase them individually.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

ASE roll hunting? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted