American gold eagle or double eagle?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by New collector, Jun 18, 2013.

1. New collector

New collector Member

With todays prices, would you go for a 1oz gold eagle, or opt for a double eagle, or even a 1 oz gold bar. Just want to own something gold to add to my collection. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

With a double eagle you have most of an ounce of bar, but with a lot more for history. The youngest you are going to find for bullion purposes are going to be 85 years old, and several of mine date back into the early 1870s.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I just was thinking the same thing OP, and decided upon a St Gaudens double eagle. The eagle from the same timeframe may be next. :)

5. Slider

Slider Member

There's a bigger premium on the double eagle, but the upside is that there is better numismatic growth potential. Given that the double eagle is .96 ounces gold, I would buy the double eagle every time.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, modern guy has to go with the St. Gaudens. Pleasing as the 'moderns' are the classic's ring true. Metal content quite nearly the same, but think of the history.

Ya wanna be a 'stacker' or a collector?

7. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

It's so close to the same thing, why not buy the 100 or 90 year old coin for the same basic money?

8. enochian

enochian silver eater

i love old pm's

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I actually prefer Libs a bit over Saints just because they are usually more affordable - for a penny pinching Scot it makes the difference. I have always thought Saints were attractive, but a bit overrated.

10. phalanxcronos

phalanxcronos Member

What kinda double eagle? Polished, vg, au+?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

11. petro89

petro89 Member

I'd get the St. Gaudens...no doubt about it.

12. vpr

vpr Active Member

Same here. Saint or Liberty over AGEs. And since you can get slabbed ones for a little higher than raw, I usually only go for the slabbed ones. Don't care about the grade. Slabbed are easier to liquidate. The premium that you pay on those likely won't vanish. When gold was much higher, the premium was still there.

I will be buying a few over the next year or so. I want to own at least 10 of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted