American Eagles

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Lee, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Junior Member

What the heck is a "Reverse Proof"? I tried to research the term, but haven't had any luck at a believable definition. Is it just a way to sell a coin at a higher price to someone like me who is just starting to collect, or is it really a coin that demands a higher price?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Traditional Proof coins have mirrored fields and frosted devices. Reverse Proof coins have the reverse of that - frosted fields and mirrored devices.

Yes, it is a gimmick.

4. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

5. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

reverse proof vs: proof

in reality proof is look better than reverse proof. people like reverse is simply mintage lower than proof.

6. Oldman

Oldman New Member

As much as its a gimmick. The 2006 reverse proof ASE's are always going to be worth more, then the standard proofs.

7. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Still makes no sense to me... these are bullion and should only be worth melt.

Just because ASEs (or AGEs, or APEs) are made with a dollar value stamped on them, these are not actual coins you'd see in circulation. I would think that one of the things that makes any type of coin collectible is finding a specimen in higher grades. I mean comeon, you rarely see an ASE that's not MS-68, 69, or 70.

But to each his own I guess! :)

8. Oldman

Oldman New Member

lol lol

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure the future will tell us the worth of reverse proofs.
    For now the prices being paid are worth being watched.

10. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

The reverse proof is dead sexy.
    :)

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

Of course the reverse proof and standard proofs are gimmicks, they are made to get people to buy them, it worked on me, I do like them.

12. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

Say What?

I am surprised to see some many posts calling proofs, reverse or not, a gimmick.

As a collector I don't consider a proof a gimmick to get me to buy a product, but an example of perfection in an numismatic article that I would want to preserve for my pleasure/satisfaction or what ever. Yes they cost more then face value, specially today. Yet these coins are manufactured with a lot more time and care then any business strike could ever hope to be.

In the case of the reverse proof I feel that the "creation" of the reverse proof was a dynamic idea in the evolution of numismatic collecting. I for one find the birth of the reverse proof both beautiful and necessary.

But at the end of the day my opinion is no more right or wrong then anyone else's.

So Keep on Collecting!!!

Allen

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Reverse proof

First time I ever saw anything resembling a reverse proof was in an "American Legacys" set that I purchased from the US MInt a couple of years ago...British 2 pound silver bullion coin along with a ASE. The rub is that the certificate of authentication claims that the British coin is an UNC. coin but it sure as heck looks like a proof to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted