American Eagle Uncirculated Coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RickieB, Sep 3, 2006.

1. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

In my humble opnion, I think that it was/is a way of celebrating the AE program and not conflicting with the normal production coins. In other words, a special addition that gives it credence over the normal strikes. I would not count on these finishes or "W" Mint marks on annual uncirc AG,AU or PT coins. Just my opinion..
    My only confusion is the 2006 W 1oz AGE is sold out at the mint a few months ago...the 10K allocated for the special set..well is that or does it make the total mintage for the 1oz Proof AGE 20K? Anyone have any knowledge of this?

RickieB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tracy5900

tracy5900 Coin Hoarder

mintage

total am eagle proof mintage should be around 42,000. that is 10,000 (3 pc set) + 12,000(single proof) + 20,000(4 pc proof set).

4. alhas

alhas Senior Member

tracy5900,

Just a minor correction: AGE 4 pc proof set maximum mintage limit is 27,000. Therefor, the grand total of 1oz proof AGE would be: 49,000.

5. RickieB

:secret: This is a very intersting view on the AE program. Take a look at this new membership group under "articles"
    Perhaps this guy is on to something??

RickieB

6. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

Can not read this. I am not a member. Can you summarize the article?

7. RickieB

Here ya go...this is the article as portrayed on the site. "Looks like I was wrong on the burnished planchets huh"?) The following is copied from the link posted earlier:

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It is usually not a very good idea to post copyrighted material without permission.

And for whatever it is worth I don't really see this as a big deal. All burnished means is polished - so the planchets are polished. I fail to see the significance since all planchets are polished.

9. RickieB

Hi Doug... Dang!!! did not see that. I have edited the post's. BTW the lines are right of the mints website..once something is published on the Mint's Site they have given permission to use it along with their images. Thats where these guys got it from...anyway for the sake of respecting copyrighted material I removed it.

BTW I am under the impression that the current uncirc AGE are now going to be produced using the burnished planchets. To me this is a big deal...it means that the uncirc AGE will nolonger be like they have been for 20 yrs..this changes things on the AGE collections. Be it good ,bad or indifferent change is always a good thing.

RickieB

10. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

What's the point of a satin finish on a burnished planchet? I'm guessing you won't be able to tell the difference between these and the older ones, but I haven't seen it up close yet.

11. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

My backorder shipping date is 12/8/06
    Probably won`t see them.

Burnished is a post striking process, as far as I know. I have a couple dozen 2000 Coin and Currency Sets with the burnished 2000 Sac. Only 75,000 of these were made. I believe these were burnished AFTER striking. I REALLY,REALLY could be wrong on this. I just seem to remember that these were NOT burnished dies, or planchets (burnished planchets make no sense) but burnished coins. Like I said, I could be wrong on this......

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It took almost forever to get the mint to release the info on the Sackies being burnished, but they finally did. You can read about it in old issues of Coin World. But to cut to the chase - yes it is the planchets that are burnished.

13. CoinSwede

CoinSwede New Member

Why do you think that? The ASE set is not sold out yet. The mint has not published any indication of reaching the issue limit yet and they are still taking orders.

The shipping date is 12/8/06 for everyone because the mint needs to check every order to make sure nobody exceeds the household limit. The ASE sets start shipping in October, so you might get your sets as early as October/November, depending on when you placed the order.

14. holz

holz holz

20th Anniversary A10 ASE Set

The ASE A10 set is best investment of the 3 sets. The reasons is as follows:
    1). The normal proof will have 1 Million coins made. ( I value $20)
    2). The W Unc 270,000 made("TYPE COIN"). Next closest Mintage 96 Unc 3,603,000 Two on Ebay with 11 bids each $51$53. (I value $55).
    3). The Money maker. 250,000 Reverse Proof coin(also a "Type Coin") Next closes Mintage is the 94 with 375,000 current Ebay $175.

So resale will be $250. = (175.+55.+20.)

Now this $250 is really conservetive. A Type Coin will add many "must have it" collectors.

15. jody526

jody526 New Member

Interesting.
    The only problem, I have with your reasoning, is that they are not "coins".
    They are created collectibles, just like Beanie Babies.
    Once the "fad" goes away, what have you got?

16. holz

holz holz

They are created coins $1 with $12 of silver. just like any other coin.
    I was thinking about getting out of coins in the mid 1990's as I was one of the youngest people at coin shows. Yes I was thinking if all the old collectors died it would be a "fad". I still have concerns about a cashless/coinless society dampening demand. The 3 gold A12 sold out 26million dollars sold. The ASE set A10 is 250,000x100 is only 25 million.

17. tracy5900

tracy5900 Coin Hoarder

reverse proof

reverse proof will always be a part or family with the proof series. just as the unc composed of satin finish, burnished finish and so forth.

18. holz

holz holz

Sep 11th 20th Eagle update LT 2000 2 PIECE

NUMISTMATIC NEWS:
    News

Eagle sets inch toward sellouts

There is no sellout yet for the two-coin American Eagle 20th Anniversary Gold and Silver Set featuring 2006-W uncirculated one-ounce gold and silver American Eagle bullion coins.
    By Sept. 11, sales totaled 18,025 of a maximum possible of 20,000. This was up by 3,242 in the week. Price of the set is $850. Normally, uncirculated Eagles have no mintmark.
    The three-coin American Eagle 20th Anniversary Silver Coin set is far from a sellout. A total of 129,888 have been sold out of a maximum possible of 250,000. This set features three silver Eagles: a regular proof, a reverse proof with frosted fields and mirror high points, and an uncirculated coin. The regular proof and uncirculated coins have a “W” mintmark and the reverse proof has a “P.” Cost is $100.
    Already sold out are the 10,000 American Eagle 20th Anniversary Gold Coin Sets which feature a proof, reverse proof and uncirculated one-ounce gold coins.

19. holz

holz holz

The UNC 20th limit is not 270.000 ASE or 30,000 ASG

Looks like the US Mint has figured out how sell UNC Gold, Silver & Platinum directly to us.
    On 9/28/06 the mint is going to sell seven products. I wonder who does CPU Capacity planning. The web site was overloaded on 8/30 with three products. They had to disable the Search engine.

This changes everything. Only the reverse Proofs will low mintage.

2006 Scheduled Products Listing
    http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/bluedot.gifhttp://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/spacer.gifThe following list displays the United States Mint's 2006 products and their dates of availability. This list will be updated periodically as dates for
    August 15San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Coins
    August 28North Dakota Quarter Bags and Two-Roll Sets
    August 30American Eagle 20th Anniversary Coin Set
    September 25North Dakota Official First Day Coin Cover
    September 28Fall Catalog
    September 28American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin
    September 28American Eagle Gold Uncirculated Coins
    September 28American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins
    September 28 50 State Quarters® Greetings From America Portfolios
    September 282006 50 State Quarters® Greetings From America State Card SetsSeptember 282006 Westward Journey Nickel Series™ Coin SetSeptember 28South Dakota Official First Day Coin Cover

20. claw

claw Senior Member

Are these new "uncirculated" coins with the W MM, the same as the coins in the Anniversary sets.They sure are priced a little cheaper, and come in all four sizes.

21. tracy5900

tracy5900 Coin Hoarder

my newest analysis

i think the 2006 american eagle gold and silver series were not go up in prices. i think the key date for all american series is being done. it is 1995w gold and silver 5 pc set. that's it. any coins produces now and in the future are just another too many. check the e-bay. the latest gold 3 pc set were coming down from $4,000.00 to $3,450.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted