American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin Act Introduced in House

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by krispy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

3. krispy

krispy krispy

Recent news to update this thread...

Palladium Market Study from MintNewsBlog [3/11/2013]

Follow the links above for full details.

So, it appears that a palladium issue from the U.S. Mint has been shot down, again. Guess the Mint's marketing schemers weren't able to come up with enough reverse proof front aerial cartwheel extension rolls or any other similar silly or sordid gimmickry to exploit the consumer, err collector, with yet another new SKU in their product line up.

4. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, krispy. That's really too bad. I was hoping it would be enacted. It would have been nice.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Palladium coins have been a curse and blessing in disguise. When other countries have tried to sell palladium coins, the mints often struggled to make money on them. This includes the Australian Emu, Russian ballerina, Canadian maple leaves, Chinese pandas etc. The irony however is that most of them are worth more than the original issue prices.

6. Juan Blanco

Juan Blanco New Member

I don't care if the mints lose money on them; I like that retail collectors/bullionist are ABLE to get ahold of PGMs.

Public Law 111-303
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ303/pdf/PLAW-111publ303.pdf

fwiw H.R. 6166 was introduced by fmr Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT) as political pork for his major contributor, Stillwater.
    http://politicalnews.me/?id=4944

Personally, I'd favor the US Mint outsourcing coining operations to US designer producers who will adhere to US Mint Director's instructions/standards/etc. Perth Mint is now a private company, no?

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Recent news to update this thread...

US Mint Survey Covers Future Platinum Eagles, Potential Palladium Eagle from Mint News Blog on August 16th 2013:

"While the survey does not specifically address the bullion version, it indicates that the US Mint is considering introducing a proof version of the American Palladium Eagle in 2014. [...]

An approximate price of $850 is indicated for the coin, although this would vary based on changes in market prices. Respondents are asked to indicate the appeal of the offering an dhow likely they would be to purchase it."

8. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I like the sound of that, krispy. Let's hope it happens.

9. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

A large part of that likely is to due to Palladium spot price being near an all-time high rather the popularity of the coins in my opinion.

10. DrHenley

DrHenley Active Member

I have a palladium Maple Leaf. Details are just fine.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its a good metal technically for coinage. I simply find the metal not that attractive. Most metals in the world actually look similar, kind of like a bar of steel looks. Its fine, but not as attractive and lustrous as silver or gold imo.

12. randrace

randrace Member

This is bullish news for Palladium!

13. DrHenley

DrHenley Active Member

I don't know. I can't really tell the difference unless I hold a palladium Maple Leaf and a silver Maple Leaf side by side. And then I have to hold it just so to see any difference. Yes palladium is a tad bluer, but it much more resembles silver than steel.

Palladium.jpg

14. krispy

krispy krispy

The obvious difference, of course, is the metals' names are stamped right on the coin, Palladium or Silver. :D

Actually, the similarity of all the Maple leaf bullion coins is one reason I haven't bought any palladium bullion from Canada. I prefer to buy US bullion, as each Eagle bullion coin done in separate metals gets a distinct design that's easy to distinguish it from the other coins in the Eagle program. It's not just a name and denomination stamped on the piece you have to go by, it's also the overall design features that help you quickly identify what it is your holding, buying, trading, and so on.

Draft saved Draft deleted