American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin Act Introduced in House

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by krispy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

Wow thanks for the 411, I had on idea. I thought these designs were somehow copy protected...

As I've mentioned, I hope the new palladium designs are a bit more updated, but I won't complain much....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

The bullion coins are 'representative' of, not exact replicas of the old designs. If they were too close in similarity there might be confusion for some people with the coins vs rounds. They are not denominated and do not pose a risk of being fake monetary units. The designs also probably differ enough not to pose issues with rights management, though I don't think that poses so much of a threat. These are not quite the same as counterfeit pieces that plague numismatics.

4. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

I can't wait to pick up some palladium rounds. Looks like they're poised to do well with an upcoming supply crunch.

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page35?oid=127117&sn=Detail&pid=102055

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Recent news on the potential new Palladium Eagles

American Palladium Eagle Study Phase to Begin from CoinNews.net [June 21, 2011]

"On April 13, 2011, the United States Mint posted on the FedBizOpps.gov website that it was "seeking sources for a possible competitive solicitation" that would lead to the Palladium Eagle study. Potential contractors had until Friday, June 17, to respond.

Once undertaken, the study is not expected to take longer than ninety days. This report will then be submitted to the Secretary of the Treasury and finally to Congress. A further stipulation in the authorizing law dictates that if the study finds potential demand for the coins, their production would begin within one year following the report’s submission. This means that Palladium American Eagles would likely debut next year, assuming the study indicates the program would be self-sustaining."

Full article at the link above...

6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Too bad they ran out of ideas for new coin designs and had to model it after the mercury dime.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

They can't please everyone I guess but many have expressed interest in the use of these designs because of collector interest in these very designs. It makes sense to choose such a popular design since the Silver and Gold eagles also reproduce some of the most popular coin obverse designs amongst collectors and that which investors alike can identify with too. It's an easier selling point as well when introducing the idea for a new coin series as it draws attention and spurs sales. Choosing the Mercury design is keeping within the design parameters of the other Eagle coins. Only the platinum Eagles differ in this regard and are not all that popular, with demand (mintages) much lower. There's a bit more to it than supposing they just ran out of new coin designs.

8. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I agree with other posters that the design pairings do not fit well together.

9. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

That would be gorgeous, the design, hopefully it would strike well provided the PM.
    I would buy it in a heartbeat.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Have you changed your mind about the coin since your posts #5 and #25 in this thread? Do you mean compared to the silver and gold eagles, the design doesn't fit in the family with those coins or do you mean the palladium obverse/reverse design pics don't work together as well as the obv/rev of the silver and gold obv/rev designs? Would you still buy them anyway despite feeling this way at this time?

For me until we actually see a real example of a coin (high resolution photo or in-hand), not a rendering or cobbled together idea from other coin photos, it's too soon to judge the quality of the design/minting. I remain optimistic for this coin joining the Eagle program, coming to market and being a success with collectors and investors.

11. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I haven't changed my mind. I still would love to own this coin in all of its versions. I have had some time to think and study the reverse design a bit more since this thread was first started. There aren't many high quality pictures of the reverse to be found on the internet and I think that is why I am not partial to the design. I reallly like the obverse though. I would say that it is moreso a bad pairing of obv/rev than the design not fitting the AE family designs. Maybe if I could find a better picture of the reverse I might would appreciate it more.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Quite reasonable thinking. The medal that the reverse is to be rendered after is somewhat scant on visuals yet, though the high relief nature of that design could lend itself to some interesting modern interpretation as there was a plan for an Ultra High Relief palladium design and I think this may have been part of the deciding factor in using that eagle. Plus the eagle seems to recall the styling of the reverse of the Walking Liberty Halves as well as some of the eagle found on the Texas commemorative half dollar. I'm excited for the prospects of the design making it through the feasibility reviews at least to the point we get to see suggested designs to see how the Mint would be handling this piece design-wise.

13. omfg

omfg New Member

Hey everyone, i have a coin that says on the back ."United States Of America". "One Pound Fine Silver" and on the front it just says liberty, in god we trust, 1995, on the side it says 1 pound troy .999 fine silver. does anyone know the worth of this coin?

14. krispy

krispy krispy

While Mr. Harper doesn't really have any new information to add to this story, for what it's worth, here's the latest news I've found related to the American Palladium Eagle coins:

Buy palladium if you know what it is
    by Dave Harper for Numismatic News [2011.11.11]

"The U.S. Mint is in the process of studying the market viability of a one-ounce palladium U.S. bullion coin. This study was mandated by Congress late last year... [snip] The study is to be communicated to Congress in early 2012."

15. Thanks for the update Chris. Great to see you back on the Bullion forum. I am sure if this ever comes to fruition that you will break the news. TC

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks TC. I don't know about 'breaking' the news, but I'm happy to collect it and look forward to the chance to collect some examples of these coins if they get added to the Eagle family of coins. It's an exciting prospect.

17. sturmgrenadier

sturmgrenadier Junior Member

I, too, appreciate the update, Krispy. Is it true that the legislation mandates that a domestic supplier must be used, and that there is only one in the U.S. (in Montana)? If they go forward with the plan, will they be able to get enough planchets? I am excited about the possibility of these coins being minted in 2012.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Update for the thread: A little mention on the palladium eagle coin again

Looking Ahead to 2012 US Mint Coins and Programs from MintNewsBlog.com December 30, 2011

"The coming year may see the introduction of the American Palladium Eagle bullion and collector coins. The status of the program is still dependent on the results of a marketing study to demonstrate that adequate demand for US Mint produced palladium bullion coins exists to ensure that the coins can be minted and issued at no net cost to taxpayers.

If issued, the obverse design would be a high relief likeness of Adolph A. Weinman’s design for the Mercury Dime. The reverse would be a high relief version of the Weinman’s design for the 1907 American Institute of Architects Gold Medal reverse.

The bullion versions would be minted in one ounce size only, struck in .9995 fine palladium, with a legal tender face value of $25. The Treasury Secretary also may issue collectible proof and uncirculated versions of the coin. If issued, the surface treatment of each year’s collector coins must differ in some material way from the preceding year."

Hopefully the marketing study has found threads like this one to help boost the program into existence. :yes:

19. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I have been searching the web about twice a month looking for any info on the results of the marketing study. So far I've come up empty handed. Thanks for posting krispy.

20. khay

khay New Member

Hmmm... now that, too, is an interesting prospect. Makes one wonder if that potential supplier is publicly traded? Lol... because if the coins continue, year after year, then that supplier may be a good investment...

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Interesting news...

From Mint News Blog on Friday, January 13, 2012 regarding the U.S. Mint 2011 Annual Report:

"The required study to determine the financial viability of palladium bullion coins “will soon begin”. The bullion and possible numismatic American Palladium Eagles will only be issued if the study determines that there is adequate demand to ensure that the coins can be minted and issued at no net cost to taxpayers."

"The US Mint’s 2011 Annual Report is not yet posted on their website, however, a copy accessed on the Treasury site here."

The feasibility study:

From page 2 in the U.S. Mint 2011 Annual Report:

"A legislatively required market study examining the financial viability of a palladium bullion coin will soon begin. We look forward to presenting the results of that study to the Secretary of the Treasury and Congress."

From page 14 in the U.S. Mint 2011 Annual Report:

"The legislation requires that a third party conduct a study analyzing whether there is adequate demand for palladium bullion coins, and if so, whether the coins could be minted at no net cost to taxpayers. The Mint contracted with an independent research firm to conduct the study in FY 2011. Results of the study will be submitted to the Secretary of the Treasury and Congress for review in FY 2012."

I'm a tad confused by this information in the just released 2011 Annual Report. The U.S. government's fiscal year begins on October 1st of the previous calendar year and ends on September 30 of the year with which it is numbered. So if FY 2011 is months behind us already, has the study for palladium coins begun? Doesn't this say it was conducted in 2011 after being contracted to do so, or did the Mint just "contract" the third party "IN" FY 2011. :scratch:

With no net cost to tax payers, the pull back in minting circulation $1 coins and the cost it takes to mint one cent and five cent coins in the US, I don't know if this bodes well in the current climate for seeing the palladium come to fruition in 2012.

Draft saved Draft deleted