American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin Act Introduced in House

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by krispy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin Act Introduced in House from CoinNews.net [9/23/2010]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

4. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

I don`t know if I would purchase any of them, (I prefer a good proof ASE) but it is about time that We see a little more variety regarding palladium. Right now palladium is in a good price range for the investor who might be a little hesitant to buy gold at its current levels.

Thanks for the link.

5. krispy

krispy krispy

You're welcome. I was excited last year about the potential for a UHR Palladium coins, but I very much welcome an addition to the Eagle family so that all of the major PMs are represented.

Please also note this thread was in regards to bullion coins and not collector version coins (Proofs), and insomuch this is a topic placed in the Bullion Investing forum as opposed to the numismatic coin chat forums. It's easy to get numismatic and investment discussions confused in the Bullion Investing forum. Regardless, I collect Proof ASEs and other precious metals coins from the Mint and would love to see Proof ASEs return to the Mint's collector coin offerings. :thumb:

6. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I would like to own a few of them if they are ever made. I wonder what, if any, designs are being considered.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Read through the H.R. 6166 link that was in the OP:

AIA Gold Medal [Google Books]

8. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

Is palladium a good metal for coins? i heard that it does not do good with sharp details and that no MS70 coins have been made?

9. krispy

krispy krispy

this is for bullion (investing purposes), not circulating coinage

10. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

The bill say's the mint may issue proof versions.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

...and proof coins, especially expense precious metals coins, don't circulate, think 24k Proof and Bullion AGBs for example. 24k pure gold coins are not strong enough for circulation coins, yet MS70 grades exist. why? because first of all the coins actually exist, production can be (Sheldon scale) "flawless" and examples have graded as such. If more Palladium coins exist and are sent in to grade, then higher grade examples will become available.

However, this is a BULLION INVESTING forum thread, not a collectible coin (numismatic) discussion. This is precisely what I warned about in post #4, the discussion quickly becomes confusing trying to discuss matters of grading bullion and treating it like one does collector versions.

12. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

I never said i thought the coins were for circulation, im sorry if my post sounded that way..

13. krispy

krispy krispy

No need to apologize. It didn't sound that you meant they were for circulation. I was trying to demonstrate for you using another coin issued in a soft metal, the 24k AGB coins, that a coin could be mint which does attain grades of MS70/PR70. Your post suggested the metal properties of palladium coins we insufficient to attain such a grade, IF bullion coins were to be graded in a numismatic collector sense. In part you may see few graded palladium coins because there are so few of them, few available for collectors made as collectible versions, and few of those which may have been graded... and even fewer bullion versions that have been graded to date.

14. Spider

Spider ~

I cannot find a picture of the medal's reverse anywhere. Any help Krispy? I'm really curious to see it.

15. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks CoinKeeper! :thumb:

Spider, I did post that one link above in post #6: AIA Gold Medal [Google Books]

17. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

This is interesting. I've been thinking about getting palladium coins. I think Canada has the palladium leaf's, but I wanted the eagles. Now that this may come to pass, it can deliver me a tri-fecta of coins to collect. AGE, ASE and APE??? Is it called APE? LOL....

18. krispy

krispy krispy

There would be an abbreviation difficulty to deal with.

Maybe the periodic chart symbols would work: AEPd and AEPt :D

American Eagle Platinum (APE / AEPt?)
    American Eagle Palladium (APE / AEPd?)
    American Eagle Gold (AGE)
    American Eagle Silver (ASE)

Often abbreviated form differs from the way the US Mint refers to these coins. AEG vs. AGE.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Canadian Maple ($50 - Canadian $ - bullion)

Chinese Panda [1/2 oz. size, 8,000 limited mintage proof coins- numismatic versions, 100 Yuan denomination]

20. krispy

krispy krispy

More coverage:

American Palladium Eagle Proposed
    from MintNewsBlog [09/24/2010]

21. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

This is cool ... i would buy one.

pallO.png pallR.png

Draft saved Draft deleted