American Buffalo 2021 One Ounce Gold Proof Coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Chris Winkler, May 13, 2021.

1. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

slackaction1 and Chris Winkler like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Kentucky and slackaction1 like this.
  5. skm

skm Member

I was fortunate enough to by a 2006 Buffalo proof for $800 +4.95 postage from the USMint. It seemed expensive to me but the coin appealed to me. I'm happy to own one.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You're right, I didn't notice that but still, crazy mark up for sure!! :D

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

About three or so years ago, a dealer found the 2006 proof for me at a coin show. We thought long and hard before deciding to get it: at $1550. Go see what dealers are asking now, provided you can find one. The latest gold craze has snatched them up.

Chris Winkler, fretboard and skm like this.
  8. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I got one the first year it came out (2006) for about $800 bucks as I recall. I see it on ebay for around $2250. I wonder why the mint is selling this years for $2700 ?

Chris Winkler and skm like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Because they can, of course.

Frankly, I'm surprised they aren't higher. Raise the price even further, and even more collectors will give up -- and then, when they sell a record low number, you'll have a new key date, and even more market excitement for the next issue!

UncleScroge and slackaction1 like this.
  10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Why pay those ridiculous premiums for a
    graded bullion coin, that’s beyond nuts !

dan smith likes this.
  11. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

Because it’s no longer bullion, it’s a numismatic collectible.

capthank likes this.
  12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

why grade any bullion coin?

Kentucky and mpcusa like this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

To create a false market

harrync, skm, mpcusa and 2 others like this.
  14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

There is no advantage to grading a bullion
    coin, since they come out of the mint B/U
    who cares what grade it is !

Chris Winkler, skm and UncleScroge like this.
  15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

A lot of people do for some reason.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They don't all come out MS70, and they don't all get handled properly once they leave the mint.

I don't care what grade a bullion coin is. But most people don't care what grade pocket change is in, either.

Kentucky and UncleScroge like this.
  17. fullhart

fullhart Junior Member

I ordered one of the proof ones when they first came out. Received it and was disappointed on how it looked. I like the mirror like finish, the Buffalo doesn't have that, so I returned it to the mint.

mpcusa likes this.
  18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Good response!

19. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

Not a bad looking coin, but I'd rather spend the same amount on a quality ancient coin or high grade US type coin.

20. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I have the gold Kennedy but it is only 3/4 oz.

skm likes this.
  21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I got the 2016 Proof Gold Buffalo coin. It is beautiful. I keep it in it's box and I take it out every once in a while. My favorite set is the 2016 Gold Mercury coin, the Standing Liberty gold coin, and the Walking Liberty Gold Coin. I don't have a lot of gold coins, but the ones I got when I first started collecting, I got help from a local dealer. The only thing I bought when I first started, was the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin. It had all of the shipping boxes that came with the coin from the mint. The box is beautiful, but the slab was too big to put in it. Anyway, the guy that bought it from the Mint sent it into PCGS and it came back MS-68. He was so miffed, that he just about gave it away. I don't know what the PCGS grade of MS-68 goes for now. I think I paid about $1,300 for it. I may have to go back to the dealer to see if he has a record. I won't ever sell it. I bought a 1895 $10 Liberty that came back MS-61 and a 1904 $20 Liberty. On the invoice, he put MS-61 for both of them. I was pleased, until they came back. The $10 Liberty was OK. I paid $675 for it. I paid $1,275 for the $20 Liberty. It came back UNC Details - Obverse Scratched. I don't think I will sell any of my gold.
    Anyway, thanks to all of you for teaching me alot about collecting. I shouldn't have started collecting until I read the Red Book and some others, especially about gold coins, Morgans and other books that I bought after my initial sticker shock about gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted