American Bank Note greeting cards

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Jan 18, 2018.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

In a number of other threads I've covered many of ABNCo's forays into consumer products: engraved presidential portraits, sterling silver banknotes, philatelic commemorative panels, and the ABN Archive Series. But not many collectors know that American Bank Note also printed and marketed a series of greeting cards.

Another forum member, Drawde, reminded me about these recently and was kind enough to provide scans of some of the cards and the sales brochure they used to publicize them. There were six themes, all of them drawing from ABNCo's vast stock of historic engraved vignettes: Ships, Railroads, Horses, Flowers, and Christmas.

ABN brochure p1.jpg ABN brochure p1r.jpg ABN brochure p2.jpg ABN brochure p2r.jpg ABN brochure p3.jpg ABN brochure p3r.jpg

jack81, Drawde and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

When these came out in 1988 they cost roughly $1 a card for a box of 24, which was more than I wanted to spend. Each box had six designs and I was disappointed that all the engravings weren't shown on the brochure. That might have made a difference in my decision. Here are the six vignettes on the railroad cards from Drawde's collection.

RR card 1.jpg RR card 2.jpg RR card 3.jpg RR card 4.jpg RR card 5.jpg RR card 6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Stevearino, Drawde, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  4. gsalexan

ABNCo also had some alternate marketing strategies. A "short set" of 12 holiday cards was sold, wrapped in cellophane. It had the same six engravings, but instead of two-color cards like the box set, they were printed just in green ink. Circular gold foil stickers with the ABNCo logo were also included.

ABN holiday card wrapping.jpg ABN holiday card sledding.jpg ABN holiday card stagecoach.jpg
    Santa ABNC.jpg
    ABN holiday card back.jpg

Drawde and tommyc03 like this.
  5. gsalexan

And what I didn't discover until later was that, like with early consumer products, ABNCo collaborated on their marketing. They produced a boxed set of four designs -- sort of a "best of" collection -- for Hallmark. These had die-cut frames that highlighted the vignettes. I don't know what these cost, but I would guess they were more expensive. I might have bought a set had I seen them in a store, but I don't think they were widely marketed. Luckily, another collector friend sent me some photos of his set.

Hallmark ABN cards in box.JPG
    Hallmark ABN cards.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Drawde, dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I wonder if @dwhiz has any of these? Big RR buff. I love them.

dwhiz likes this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@tommyc03 No I don't but I did get this at either a img566.jpg Fun show or the last Whitman show here in Philly

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. gsalexan

dwhiz, I believe that vignette came from a page of engravings in the book "The Story of American Bank Note Company" by William Griffiths.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Me too (RR buff)!...

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@Drawde I must say this thread did bring these to my attention. I only had the one which I listed above, now Iron horse 1991 1.jpg Iron horse 1991 2.jpg I have these on my want list. I did manage to buy one yesterday.

Drawde and tommyc03 like this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Me too. But limited to riding, photographing and walking old rail trails.

Drawde and dwhiz like this.
  12. gsalexan

Have you guys seen these topics? They could all use a bump: :woot:
    Train vignettes from obsoletes
    Banknote background bonanza
    BABN railroad vignettes

Meanwhile, back on topic -- ABNCo printed a lot of other Christmas cards that nobody knows about. These were in-house cards for executives and staff only. Even I wasn't aware of these until a friend sent me some photos while I was gathering information about the others above. Feast your eyes!

More ABN exec cards covers sm.jpg
    More ABN exec cards inside sm.jpg
    ABN exec Xmas cards sm.jpg
    ABN exec cards sm.jpg
    ABN Xmas card proofs sm.jpg

These last ones were probably produced in the 1970s and I think they were the models that gave rise to the idea of creating greeting cards for public consumption.

Front ABN Cathedral card sm.jpg
    ABN Cathedral card sm.jpg
    Late Xmas card sm.jpg

Drawde, dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  13. Drawde

Mike Bean (the former BEP Pressman) has a lot of the old ABN dies that he purchase to use on/with his "Spider Press". He has note cards with Trolley Car on them.

14. gsalexan

Mike brought his spider press to the FUN show this month in Tampa. I couldn't go, but a friend took some photos of his booth. (Mike's the one without the beard.) He had his note cards for sale -- $1 apiece, which is a great deal these days! I've actually got nearly all of these vignettes, either on note cards or on souvenir cards that he printed. I'll include the one with the trolley vignette.

Abe & Mike.jpg
    Mike Bean notecards.jpg
    Mike Bean FUN18 raffle card.jpg
    Mike Bean FUN18 exhibit.jpg
    N National SCCS.jpg

15. Drawde

Mike lives near me in Maryland. He is very helpful with my currency printing questions...

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. gsalexan

I was interested to see these currently available. Approved proofs of a number of the greeting cards I posted earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted