America the Beautiful 5oz opinions

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jatkiss, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

If you sold your old buddy Beymer a collators version puck he would hand you the mint packaging right back and drop the puck in a 5 gallon bucket, so how is your buddy Beymer taking advantage of people again?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Give it up man. You are interrupting them patting each other on the backs for buying these.

Mr Roots likes this.
  4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Very rare to see the collector pucks anywhere due to the miniscule mintages, even eBay has few compared to other high mintage issues. As a collector/investor, I'd rather own low mintage U.S. bullion, it's worked out much better for me.

Yeah, I bought some modern commems from Beymer's Coin World ad back in the 1990's. He was about the only one that had them in OGP, when most others had thrown out the packaging and were selling the coins only in the mint capsules, claiming better storage.

I'd still say Beymer was blowing smoke if he claimed he was melting .999 fine coins, they probably sell better than bars, even to big investors. That's a typical dealer tactic to lower the buying price.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. Mr Roots

I was thinking if we all work as a team we can corners the market on one of these pucks for only $2,000,000.....if 20 of us all put in 100k we'll buy every puck of one of the series and we'll keep 20 and melt the rest....if you want to put 100k on the plan PM me so I can tell you were to send the money.

6. statequarterguy

There you go! How many U.S. coins have such a low mintage that you could buy them all for only 2M? No need to melt them, just control them all.

7. statequarterguy

Doesn't sound like the Beymer I delt with. Heck, for Hawaii, just the OGP (no coin) sells for north of $75.

8. Mr Roots

The one I'm talking about is out of Santa Rosa CA and I wouldn't take him as a person who does much mail order business.

9. statequarterguy

Yep, same one, he's in Coin World now and has been for many years. Just went to his link for his catalog and a search shows he's selling no bullion. But, like I said, good luck finding these low mintage coins at any LCS.

10. Mr Roots

He has about 20 cases in his store, one has modern gold bullion, not to much silver bullion makes the floor, I think he has a case for silver art bars, most bullion is in the back.....I only make it there about three times a year and I always try to get him into modern bullion that demands a premium but that's just not his thing and he says there's no market for it....up till about a year ago he was giving me fractional graded MS70 Pandas for 1.2x spot knowing that he could do way better on Ebay, he gives me fractional gold eagles graded MS70 at 1.1x, MS69 for the same as ungraded....I just asked him right before Xmas about the pucks, he told me he rarely has them and that when he does they only stay there till he make his weekly silver sale to the melter.

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It is nice to know that the coin world is filled with folks that would melt pucks. It is almost as rich as folks that buy lottery tickets. They take half of it up front and tax you 50% on the winnings. What a deal for you!

12. statequarterguy

Well, he can say that, but based on the miniscule mintages, I doubt he sees many, if any pucks. Some dealers just aren't up on modern bullion. I bought 5 Hawaii pucks in a mint tube at a local LCS for melt and flipped them on eBay for $300 a piece. My crystal ball says the collector version and some bullions will see moon prices. Either way, they're worth speculating on.

13. statequarterguy

I'd take what dealers tell you with a grain of salt. Dealers that don't have a particular coin will down play it and convince you to buy what they have. Better to rely on historical performance and your own experience.

Then there are dealers, like myself, that have the coin, but it's not for sale at the current price, it needs time to mature.

As for melting coins, I don't and I don't know a dealer who does. We all talk melt and that's our profit margin. .999 fine bullion, as well as 90% are very sellable in large quantities, so why incur the cost to melt?

14. Mr Roots

Industrial silver isn't as easy to secure as you would think.....the reason they melt is the whole volume vs profit margin thing....in his case he makes money melting and saves floor space for numismatics.

15. statequarterguy

I’ve stayed away from selling much bullion, too much volume required and too risky maintaining a large inventory. Sold most of my bullion in the run up and made a decent profit, now concentrating on numismatics. So, not really concerned about the bullion market, but I can't believe industrial demand requires melting investment grade U.S. bullion coins. Aside from increasing volume, the only good reason I can see for a dealer to off U.S. bullion coins at less than melt is to avoid risk by not holding them. If the bullion coin also enjoys a hefty numismatic premium, doesn't make since melting it. I mean, would you melt a 1995-w ASE proof? If not, why melt pucks with half the mintage? I'd rather hold them to see if future demand drives the price up far past the melt value.

16. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Look, you are talking about greed plain and simple. A dealer makes his money when he buys. If he pays 70% of spot and sells for spot, how much did he make? He is probably not concerned with chasing a premium when his cash is already sitting in the bucket. Who really cares if he melts them or uses them for ice hockey? We're talking about 5oz bullion pucks, not anywhere close to the demand for a 1995-w. Come on...

17. statequarterguy

I said future demand. Of course the demand is not there now, that's why the mintages are so low. Based on the beauty of these pucks, future demand from collectors could surpase ASE's.

The large bullion dealers I've known reduce risk by having it sold before they buy it. But, still it requires tying up huge amounts of capital to support the volume and there is still an element of risk if you carry an inventory for retail customers.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  18. Mr Roots

>>>>I'd rather hold them to see if future demand drives the price up far past the melt value.

And that's your choice, he doesn't want to tie his money up in them and is happy making an instant 5% on his money.

>>>> If he pays 70% of spot and sells for spot, how much did he make?

Bullion dealers pay more than 90% and the stuff they melt they only get about 95% for.

19. statequarterguy

So, you think bullion dealers are getting the volume they need in this market? I would imagine only the desperate are selling and many have been scared away from buying. Of course in this economy and bullion market many are desperate and scared.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

The difference was that was a general circulation coin that folks used for currency transactions and 100 years later those in mint condition commanded a fortune. All these coins being specially made for the public today, all held for "investment", I doubt many will turn out to be worth their premiums paid UNLESS the underlying bullion prices compensates.

Supply > Demand = Baseball Card Implosion Of the 1990's !

Draft saved Draft deleted