America the Beautiful 5oz opinions

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jatkiss, Oct 31, 2013.

1. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

no. absolutely not. i think i know what happened here. you went to a place to buy or sell some silver. the owner of said establishment told you what he would be willing to pay for one of your ATBs, eagles or generic rounds. that number could have been 60-90% of melt. meaning, he is going to buy ANY silver you will sell him, whether it be a satin finish ATB or a standard silver round at 60-90%. now, once he has it in his hand after completely taking advantage of you, that depends on what he bought. if it is an ATB, he is flipping it at Spot + Premium. period end of sentence. he is not an idiot, he does this for a living. if it was some beat up, dingy old common silver round that he gave you 60-90% of spot for, yeah, maybe he is going to melt THAT down with a handful of others to pour into a large bar, or have reformed into new rounds, or whatever assayers and smelters do. its not the same every time.

so, if you want to save face, name this mystery man.

and yes, you need to explain the relationship. the reason being i believe is that when you start typing it out, you will be forced to read what you wrote and it will make about as much sense as trying to fit a square peg into a smaller round hole.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

#1 I don't sell silver unless it's to get money to buy gold or platinum.

#2 Jach H Beymer (707) 544-1621, please call and ask his opinion on the pucks and what he does if one enters his store, also ask to see what he pays for ASE and 90% to see if he's has one of the most competitive buy prices in Northern California.....just remember its weekend prices today, not sure if you understand about pricing when the market is closed.

#3 Save face?...you do realize this is an anonymous site, I don't care if I ever post under this handle again.

4. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i am sure mr beymer pays a junkie 60% of spot when they bring in their stolen stash for a fix. if you sell to him at that price....yikes.

5. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Why are you disparaging Jack Beymer when you do not even know him???

6. Mr Roots

Make the call. One of the more professional coin dealers you'll ever find, not your run of the mill mom and pop small time shops.

You asked for a name, I gave it to you......I understand you don't want to make the call and have the reality sink in that the series you collect will always be seen as just an odd weight chunk of silver.

7. Mr Roots

I think most of us here have payed a premium for silver we like, just some of us have more realistic expectations ......Short term there's money to be made flipping the pucks, long term I think the price of silver will determine the price and there's nothing wrong with that, you have a "coin" you like hedged with five ounces of silver, to me that's a win win with realistic expectations.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ouch! :eek: Glad I don't have any pucks anymore. I did buy one in the very beginning in 2010, it was the Yosemite. Once I saw what they were selling for on ebay I about shipped my pants. :D Sold that sucker for what I paid for it. Personally, I'd rather stock up on junk silver but to each their own.

9. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

i do not own a single ATB. remember, when you assume...

10. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

not disparaging him. you clearly misunderstand. if someone offers 60% of ask and NO premium, that is a lowball, and unfair offer. an offer only a desperate or knowledgeable person would accept.

search for "lowball offer" on this forum, you will see what the majority of educated numismatists and PM investors feel if fair for silver, regardless of strike.

11. I like my Hawaii collector and bullion pucks...cool volcano on the reverse and very nice premiums seen on eBay sales in past year. TC

12. Mr Roots

Now reread about who I said pays 60%.

13. Jay Lefler

Jay Lefler New Member

I love the pucks and they have numismatic value, based on the mintages and the sales prices on eBay.

14. fretboard

I'm curious more than anything else so let's see what happens. Here's two examples, one ends in around 25 minutes and the other has over an hour. Let's see where the prices end up. I'm even gonna add a third, just to make it more accurate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-5-oz-S...56420?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item35d09f2184

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2011-Gl...75926?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item35d09f6db6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-P-5oz-...24330?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item43c40a64ca

15. Jay Lefler

Jay Lefler New Member

Can we assume that $25 would be the price you would pay for an ounce of silver when manufactured in a legal tender US Mint coin? If so, these should command $125 based only on their bullion value.

16. fretboard

Absolutely. With that said the 2011's originally sold for $229.95, I think. The top link on ebay only sold for $133.28, hardly a profit for the seller if he originally bought them from the US Mint. In fact, after the seller paying ebay and paypal he absolutely lost money. If you're talking about buying them off of ebay then you're able to get a good deal, no argument there. The 2013 sold for $154.95 and only brought in $182.50, not so good at all. Granted, if you're buying them off the bay and getting a good deal then good for you. On the other hand if you have some, you may want to hang onto them cause their not selling to well right now.

17. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

the hawaii would be the only one i would buy solely for the design and detail, but as it turns out, it is the highest premium, unless i am mistaken? anyone want to sell me one at 60%?

18. Mr Roots

Open a pawn shop.

19. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I know who Beymer is and his crystal ball is no better than anyone else’s. These low mintage pucks have some of the best potential of anything the mint makes. If/when their popularity increases, their prices could go to the moon – at least that’s what my crystal ball says. If a dealer disparages a coin and at the same time is willing to buy it, you can bet he's trying to take advantage of you.

rysherms likes this.
  20. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

well said. and thank you for those dimensions on the 2011 set by the way. really helped me fabricate the shelf in time for its arrival.

21. Mr Roots

Small world I guess if you know the guy who owns the shop I go to. So why doesn't a shop in the Bay Area have a single one of these hottest pucks?
    What's a better business model to buy 1,000 ounces a day and instantly make a 5% profit with little work. Or to buy 50 ounces a day and get a 50% profit.....Some people like to make money by having a big profit margin and others like to do it by moving volume, what works for one might not work for the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted