America the Beautiful 5oz opinions

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jatkiss, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Jatkiss

Jatkiss Member

What do you guys think about this set/series?? I am obviously new, but is it worth getting myself updated as funds allow for the future. Seems like the mintage is really low on all of it. Thoughts...opinions.. etc?

- Jeff

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jatkiss

Jatkiss Member

Also I"m a little confused. If you go directly to the US Mint page you pay $156 per 5oz, but if you goto APMEX it's like $20 cheaper per round. Why is that ?

4. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

The mint sells uncirculated collector coins...the online dealer has bullion coins

5. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

My thought is they have low mintage because not very many people want them. If they could sell tens of millions, they would mint them.

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree the mintages are a fool's paradise. There are literally tens of thousands of world coins with lower mintages. Mintages for US coins are HUGE in comparison to any other world. Supply and DEMAND is key. If 50,000 are wanted and mintage is 20,000, then of course supply is important.

Eh, I bought some for my son this year since he was born. They are ok. I hate the obverse, thinking its stupid to make a 5 ounce quarter. The reverses are nice though. This could have been a spectacular coin series. Have the original reverse on one side, and an alternate reverse for the same park on the other. Having an oversized Washington on one side kind of ruins it for me.

If you wish to buy them, I definitely believe the specimen strikes direct from the mint are superior though.

FryDaddyJr, Yooper and Jatkiss like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If the series ever catches fire you'll have something of value there, but I don't think it will happen (if ever at all) in our lifetimes. However, if the series pleases you from a collector standpoint I suggest you go all out.........:)

8. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Although nothing is for sure until it happens, these 5oz’ers are definitely worth speculating on, as well as collecting for their beauty. Some are already heading up in value. Even if numismatic value doesn’t materialize for awhile, you’re buying low mintage bullion at one of the lowest markups out there. I prefer the specimens from the mint over the bullions. You know what they say, “Make them low mintage and collectors will come”.

9. stoster38

stoster38 Member

When they first came out I felt the price was too high so decided not to buy them. When silver briefly dipped below $20 earlier this year I started buying the bullion versions.

It's pretty neat having a 5 ounce silver coin. Just feeling the weight in your hand and seeing the size is very cool :) Some of the designs aren't the best but we all know that most modern US designed coins lack panache.

As long as silver stays at or near it's current price I'll keep buying. Still deciding if I want to pay the high prices to get the 2010 bullion coins that I'm missing. Probably will wait awhile longer to see if prices for those come down some.

10. mush195

mush195 Member

I don't think they are worth buying as a speculative investment, unless you just want to buy the bullion versions. I'd just buy them if you like them. I've been picking up the designs I like and skipping the ones I don't. I also prefer the appearance of the mint versions over the bullion.

11. Jatkiss

Jatkiss Member

Any idea why those 2010 coins are so high in value? Seems like most of the 5Oz hold their value decently. How do you know the difference between the bullion and mint versions?

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mint mark? Or absence there of?

13. Jatkiss

Jatkiss Member

Ahh, does it really effect value or are we pretty much just going for silver with these? Just curious and thanks for all the answers for the resident new guy.

14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I love the pucks. It was one of the better things to come out of the mint in the past few years. I would only go for the collector's version. The value of the bullion version will be based on the price of silver. I don't see any collector's premium on them.

15. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

I now own 15 of the pucks and did buy one certified one. I'm doing it for the silver only (except for the one). If eBay is any indication, then they are holding their value. Even the bullion versions sell at a premium there. That's the main reason I don't have a full set. I won't pay the premium just for the silver.

16. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

I think they are awesome from the mint for $155. The 4 or 5 I have purchased appear to be flawless in quality and I for one love most of the designs.

17. onecenter

onecenter Member

I have purchased every one of the numismatic versions. Each coin is quite stunning. Pricey? Yes. But, I intend to collect one of each as the series continues.

18. Jatkiss

Jatkiss Member

Yeah I def don't like the front face but the backs looks awesome and they do seem to be holding their value ok. So the only difference between the bullion and the mint type is the mint mark right?

19. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

they have a different finish to them and come in their own box/case with cert.

20. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

medjoy, PeacePeople and Yooper like this.
  21. Yooper

Yooper Member

I think the 2014's will be very popular with the masses, all seem to have appealing designs compared to the 2013 batch which had a couple of clunkers IMO. I wish Florida would have went with the Seminole Indian design though on theirs.
    Agree that the mint could have came up with something better than a giant George head on the obverse.
    Chaco culture seems to be my favorite to date, though the McHenry one has really grown on me and I usually don't care for the military themed parks.

Draft saved Draft deleted