Amercan buffalo proof boxes.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Got news for you Elaine, "There is no end". There is a start to collecting coins, but there is no end until we die and than whomever ends up with our coins is the compensated one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Plyngntrffc

Plyngntrffc New Member

:mouth: this thread is worthless without pics...

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

only those people who gets any coins and collections from someone. but they are not collectors. might consider getting compensated. because they just sell it and use the money.

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

here ya go

6. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

:eek: Oh no. I bought it. :eek: Sorry I didn't specify that.

7. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Well that changes everything.... dosen't it....especially since I had to buy mine too. Gives you a feeling of self accomplishment when you buy a very nice coin, especially at your age. These are the coins to cherrish. :D

8. elaine 1970

tell us why you like boxes on your own opinion and the way to like it?. is it the sizes, the designs, the colors, the materials, or the image and presentation?. how you keep them?. sealed with plastic or cellophane?. enclosed with silica gel?. separate it with coin/coins?. what is your best choice boxes?.

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yea at ur age u have a lot of gold :hammer:

10. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Nah! Those are all yours that I photographed! :D

11. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Here's a few if I can get 'em uploaded.

Attached Files:

12. elaine 1970

some of the buffalo boxes selling at e-bay is lowering down it's prices.

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Someday, I plan to write an article for everyone to read explaining why a bullion coin that the mint sells is marked up several hundred dollars above melt. I am guilty at one time or another for getting upset at the mint for charging many hundred dollars over melt for bullion coins. Once I became "educated" on factors that affect pricing, it became quite clear how the mint justifies the additional mark up they charge for a bullion coin. One of the many factors is packaging. I get fed up when I hear members complain about the "$300" packaging when that is only a fraction of the markup cost of the coin. WHen you buy a car, you don't just expect to pay the raw material price for the vehicle. NO! THe price of the vehicle includes markups that cover marketing, advertising, delivery costs, etc..... The mint is no different. So when you get mad that you are paying that $300 over melt for a bullion coin, just remember, you are buying more than just the metal, you are buying everything that goes into the marketing and production of the coin.

14. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

But when I buy a car, I pick the options.

With the US Mint. I have no option but to buy a $50 box.

15. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Sure, but thats not comparing apples to apples. You don't get to pick was goes into their base car and thats what we are talking about here. And even if you were to get the Limited delux model, there are still costs that are factored in to the underlying base price of the vehicle.

All I am saying, whether or not the vehicle example was the best choice, is that there is more that goes into the pricing of a coin than just the base metal cost and we many times forget this. It is not hard to forget this especially when everyone, including the mint referes to these as bullion coins. The mint is a business, and like any business, there are associated costs to produce an item. The mint is not going to give these away. Someone has to pay to mine the ore, seperate the ore, melt it down, etc, etc.... and this person is the consumer.

16. elaine 1970

cheapest you can get it from e-bay is around $19.95 plus shipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted