Am I interested? OF COURSE I AM.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Sep 18, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

So, had a pretty good day at the local flea market. Not only did I find a lovely UNC 1941 S "Large S" Jefferson Nickel, as well as pick up some other nice toners, Jefferson Nickels, and two 1964 Kennedy Halves for $5 each (YES, even after I told him melt was $6.79 each)...

...but as I'm walking out the door, a local coin dealer who has been setting up in the same spot since I can remember (I've been coming to this flea market since I was about 5...I used to help my grandparents with their own tables...) says to me,

"Oh, I almost forgot, would you be interested in taking a look at this original (yes, it is original) BU roll of 1943 D Jefferson Nickels I just bought? I don't really want to buy the entire roll...so you can pick out as many as you'd like, and I'll keep whatever is left."

Ummm....YES. Yes, sir, I would like to take a look.

So, what I ended up were 30 pretty crummy 1943 D Jefferson Nickels that kind of all look like this (with minor toning variations):

1943 D Jefferson Nickel 1.jpg

Umm...someone is getting SOME kind of thank you present next month...

Anyone else have any great "Peter Falk/Columbo" moments? Feel free to post them here...

jester3681, Paddy54, talkcoin and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My jealousy is growing. :sour:

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I would have passed... That is just too crummy for me. :cool:;)

You suck!! How much did he charge you for the '43-D's if you don't mind me asking?

Asking a coin collector if they would like to "Go through an original BU roll of anything" is like asking the Pope if he'd like to pray. Who would say "Nah, I don't bother with original BU rolls"?

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well...I have a friend in Kansas City who called me this year and asked if I'd be interested in a complete and original bank roll PDS set of Jefferson Nickels from 1938-(I forget the end date of the collection). Still in the original paper, and all beautifully toned. I didn't get to see them in hand, but from his reaction, they were extremely cherry. If...if I'd only had $12,000...

So I missed out on that one.

But this roll...

Yes, the coin gods were smiling on me today. Not only did they bestow upon me this 3/4 roll of 1943 D's...and the 1941 S "Large S" UNC...

...but I picked up one more item today that was a complete afterthought (it literally got thrown in to another deal) that (after taking a closer look at it) far, far outweighs all these nickels. I will be a complete jerk and keep it a secret until I do some more research on it (thankfully, there seems to be a lot available online about it.)

And the last time I posted a buy price for something I got a great deal on from a coin shop, I got chastised by a couple people for taking advantage of less-informed people. So I won't post what I paid for these on here - but I'll state I bought them from an actual coin dealer, so no little old ladies were taken advantage of today (well, yesterday.)

Sorry!

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

No worries about not posting your buy price. I totally respect you wanting to protect your's and others privacy.

Yes the coin Gods were smiling on you today. I love those day's. I just wish I knew as soon as I woke up that it would be a good day like that. :)

I had a pretty decent day on eBay today, so I was smiled upon a bit as well. I won't hijack your thread and will post what I got once the coins ship. :)

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Stuff like this is what makes this hobby fun. You just never know when a cool find is going to happen. I have a nice story but I need some time. I'll try to post it tonight.

8. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I hate hearing people complain that someone was taken advantage of. It happens but it happens on everything. I told a lady once that all I had was $90 cash and she could get more from the buyer downtown now I worked with this lady and have known her for years. I told her take it to him ask for his buy price but don't take less than $140. She took my advice went to the store he offered her $100 she said no nothing under $140 which 80% of melt and what he pays but he would've given less if she didn't know. I had even told her I'd give her melt I just couldn't that day. You know what happened she comes back from lunch and tells everyone that if they tried to sell me any coins I'd just cheat em. She had no idea what she had she knew it was silver but no clue as to price. From that day forward I make an offer if they take it fine if not fine my offer will be fair and if they say will you give me this much for this I either do or don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Oh sorry for getting on soap box. I love the nickels and the large S cherry pick was good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted