ALUMINUM PENNY 1974 vs. NON-COPPER PENNY 1972-Denver Mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by girldly, Apr 21, 2015.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Please notice the absence of the one who kept saying "troll". Hopefully one lesson will suffice.

non_cents and sgt23 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. girldly

girldly Girldly

Amen to that. I prefer to only hear that word in a Leprechaun Movie. ha ha
    I am so pleased that Coin Talk took such an aggressive step. Had I been the only one abused, I could see giving this person another chance, however, when the link sent to me showing other people who were abused by the same person, well, strike 3!

sgt23 likes this.
  4. girldly

girldly Girldly

Thank you for wishing us luck. We need it. It is because of people like you, we did not give up on this site. Every person has been so helpful....so, I will not leave and will continue to give updates as they arrive. My new book (the Red Book-2015) arrived today. It is very exciting. I am learning new terms about pattern coins, etc. From what I understand, isn't the rarity of a coin, along with condition, two of the factors when it comes to the valuation of a Cent? Along with the Alloy - if it is an improper alloy mix; or struck on a foreign planchet? Am I understanding the "Red" book information?
    I will learn and continue to collect. Sure, I was affected by words, but, my parents always told me to consider the source. Thank you Coin Talk! And you too!

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I've only sporadically checked on this thread, but want to add a couple things-

1) There is no reason to explicitly or implicitly believe that a coin dealer knows anything about chemistry (or even common sense).

2) Depending upon the level of service you chose from PCGS, your coin might take several months to be examined.

6. girldly

girldly Girldly

Thank you

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

This is what I was remembering:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/generalchemistry/a/aa050601a.htm

8. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I have never submitted a coin to PCGS, but I have submitted to NGC and they allowed you to log into their site and get an update of the current status of your submission(s) at any time. Does PCGS offer this, and if so, perhaps girldly can post the status for all to see?

jay4202472000 likes this.
  9. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

The majority of this thread has completely astonished me. Every thread, like the current one, I have seen has turned out like this: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1975-silver-penny.239011/

Can someone point out why, in this current thread, the majority are holding out hope for girldly? Is there anything different about this coin, other than the milk carton story?

Also, I have been pondering this for a couple of days. What happens if the member that got punished turns out to have been right all along? I know the rules were broken with the harshness & bullying, but what if it is just a "Gotcha" thread. I am not stating that this is my belief (yet), just a "What if?" There have been no updates in a couple days. PCGS $450 + over 2 weeks with no news is > or = to fishy. No?

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Totally different, I've had private conversations with her and not only believe her story but wish her the best. She's not here trying to sell it to anybody nor is she coming here insisting that what she has is anything special. She is just holding on to hope that it is. Had it looked chrome and didn't stick to a magnet, I'm sure this thread would have died the normal quick death like all of the others.

11. jay4202472000

I hope for the best too. Well, maybe I'll kick myself if it comes back as a treasure. I've found 2 "silver cents" roll searching in the past. When they weighed correctly, I just rolled them back up & traded them in. Keep us posted girldly!

Kentucky and Kirkuleez like this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Was he right and everyone else wrong, or could it be that most who believe the coin likely not what is hoped for simply have the tact and respect the other, ahem, gentleman lacked? There is and was no need for his childish tantrums in this or any other of the threads he, ahem, "participated" in; it wasn't about being right or wrong, or helping this individual but an opportunity to play hotshot and perhaps make himself feel bigger by attempting to make others smaller. Look at the other thread.... mud flew at anyone who dared to not blindly involve themselves in his overtly personal attack, and was even taken to the point of him PMing just for the added opportunity to ignorantly spew additional insults. The point is that, IMO, much of what you see here is a mixture of kindness and backlash against idiocy, and not a general disagreememt with his conclusion.

joecoincollect and jay4202472000 like this.
  13. jay4202472000

Makes perfect sense. I definitely didn't agree with the bashing. If it would have been me getting that bashing, I'm pretty sure I would be banned now. I can't take being scolded, therefore I try not to dish out scoldings.

14. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I agree with books. Do I think this coin is most likely PMD? Yes. But do I spend 3 pages posting inflammatory remarks about the OP, regardless of their status of a new collector and perhaps limited knowledge of a niche part of the collecting hobby. Just because someone is correct in an assessment, it does not necessarily give them the right to attack the character of another person.

Like books said, I think the posts disagreeing with the one individual were more about the way they were going about making their posts, as opposed to their opinion of the actual coin.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Then there would be several people who got it right, and that is possible and OK, but they stopped the path towards bullying when asked/warned. That individual had no respect for rules for something someone else owned, but allowed him to use for free.

non_cents and jay4202472000 like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Then he gets to hit every moderator on the arm three times.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Then he can go be right somewhere else, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather hang out with fallible but considerate and patient people, instead of arrogant and obnoxious ones who happen to have the right answer. From comments made by the other poster, he didn't sound terribly happy here.

Treashunt likes this.
  18. jay4202472000

Thanks guys. I did click on the link to the other thread & witnessed the same behavior, but I had no idea it was pretty much a constant. There no excuse for a constantly bad attitude!

non_cents likes this.
  19. girldly

girldly Girldly

No
    What is a "Gotcha" thread? All we want to know is what this coin is made of, and yes, it was in my husbands school milk carton with all his "kid stuff" he kept all these years. As of today, now we are 3 weeks in, no word yet. But thank you for the information on the other coins. Girldly

20. girldly

girldly Girldly

Will do, week 3. No word yet.

21. girldly

girldly Girldly

Thank you for your support. Girldly (3 weeks now at grading coom
    We certainly will. Girldly

Kirkuleez likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted