1975 Silver Penny??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KellyS, Nov 23, 2013.

1. KellyS

KellyS New Member

Ok so today I came across a 1975 silver penny... I've been looking all on internet only to be left where I started off... Is this a fake?? Or did I stumble across a treasure? To me, the penny looks to be maybe just a hair thicker... It's not really

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Plated. It did not come from the mint that way.

BUncirculated likes this.
  4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

well one way to find out.. dip it.. see what happens when it interactcs with a test acid

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yea, chrome, nickel or zinc plated, search utube, plenty of videos on electroplating pennies....

6. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Most likely plated. Weight it and see what that shows.

7. Jesse Rae

Jesse Rae New Member

I came across this penny randomly.... i figure its a fake since it would be SUCH a treasure to find. but i'm really curious why it wouldnt be mint marked..... i'm not a collector, im just interested in this one coin.

Attached Files:

8. Jesse Rae

Jesse Rae New Member

a better picture

Attached Files:

9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Cent's didn't have the P mintmark back then, nothing rare about it, just a Cent.

10. rickmp

Cents still don't have mint marks.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

PHILADELPHIA cents still don't have mintmarks.

12. rickmp

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Plated post-mint, it's what we call PMD.

14. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% Thad. What I don't understand is the majority of responses in this recent thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/aluminum-penny-1974-vs-non-copper-penny-1972-denver-mint.262643/

One member tried desperately to keep this lady from wasting $450. He did break the rules by name calling and was rather harsh. This resulted in him being banned...I assume. Nonetheless, I am completely astonished at the majority of responses. I believe there is 0.0000000000000001% chance the coin is anything other than a normal, plated cent.

15. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Are you sure this isn't a science experiment? I have an Indian head that is silver color, most likely a science experiment.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I would love to see that one.

17. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

silver_47.jpg

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The brass plated ones don't age well! cent.JPG

19. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Planman2014 in fact did not attempt to stop her from "wasting" $450 dollars. He didn't step in until the money was already spent, and then he continued to make snide comments after the fact. I question why you are defending him, and why you are making untrue statements that he tried to step in before the OP sent the coin to PCGS. Planman2014 did not make his first comment until page 5, well after the coin was sent. I am not trying to be harsh or rude, but I am just stating the facts.

Treashunt and joecoincollect like this.
  20. girldly

girldly Girldly

Why don't you send it in for grading? That seems like the best way to see what you have? Girldly

21. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Because it won't get a grade. Sending coins cost money, so you don't just send anything in.

Draft saved Draft deleted