Allienus, Caesar Lieutenant.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Jan 20, 2018.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

This coin of Julius Caesar is one of the rarest in the Caesarian series and obviously received extensive circulation as all surviving examples show considerable wear. This small issue of denarii was struck by the proconsul/governor of Sicily at the time, Aulus Allienus. This issue is also rare in that it depicts the name of the dictator's lieutenant with his own name which is a feature that Pompey exhibited on his coinage. Caesar was at the Sicilian port of Lilybaeum late in 47 BC. organizing an army to invade Africa where he fought and defeated Scipio, Marcus Cato, Labienus, Varus, Afranius, Petreius, and Sextus and Gnaeus Pompeius (Pompey's sons) at Thapsus. This is the first appearance of the goddess Venus on this Caesarian coin. Venus was revered by the dictator. The Sicilian origin of this coin is shown by the triskeles on the reverse. Trinacrus, son of the god Neptune, derives from Trinacria (three cornered land) the ancient name for Sicily.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice acquisition. It must be pretty rare, as I've never seen one before (of course there are many coins I've never seen). Excellent.

Ryro likes this.
  4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

A suggestion: when you post, choose the Full Image view rather than the thumbnail, and save all the collectors on this site a couple steps to view your coin.

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Volodya and Curtisimo like this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted