The Seven (non-portrait, lifetime, Julius) Caesars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rg3, Nov 6, 2017.

1. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

With a click of the mouse this morning, I just completed my first set. Here are examples of RCV 1399-1405. Feel free to post yours. Particularly interested in seeing any 1401s (that was a tough one to find in my price range).
    1399.jpg 1400.jpg 1401.jpg 1402.jpg 1403.jpg 1404.jpg 1405.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    TIF, Jwt708, Cucumbor and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Awesome!

rg3, dadams and ominus1 like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great set!

rg3 and ominus1 like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto!!
    Julius Caesar 2.jpg Julius Caesar 1a.jpg Julius Caesar 4.jpg Julius Caesar 7 a.jpg

TIF, Jwt708, Cucumbor and 17 others like this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great collection rg3.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sweet

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a great set.

9. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow great set!

10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fantastic!!!!

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

A fantastic set I wouldn't even dream of attempting! I was only vaguely aware of the existence of the Trinacrus coin. Neat to see Caesar associated with something naval!

My two Caesars:
    00495Q00.JPG
    Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 2.34.06 PM.png

12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Impressive collections guys. Tons of eye candy in this thread. I don't have anything comparable, as I only have one Caesar.

JC portrait 6.jpg

TIF, Cucumbor, Nemo and 9 others like this.
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Congrats! It's always a great feeling when you complete a set.

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great job capturing that cool subcollection @rg3 !

I only have a couple to offer:

RR Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1.jpg
    RR Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1

upload_2017-11-6_17-14-37.png
    RImp Julius Caesar Lifetime P Sepullius Macer AR Den Jan-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g. CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled - Venus Victory sceptre star Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Craw 480/14 Rare

TIF, Jwt708, Cucumbor and 9 others like this.
  15. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Well done, but the non-portrait Caesar set isn't quite complete. It's missing this rare coin, Crawford 452/5 and the related "large head" variety, Crawford 452/4:

Phil (103).JPG

Also missing is the rare Crawford 482/1, assigned by Crawford and most others to
    Caesar. (However, I'm inclined to follow Sear in attributing 482/1 to Octavian. I commented on the type in Gemini V, where the following example most recently appeared: "Because of the typical Caesarian types (Venus and trophy) and the legend CAESAR IMP, this extremely rare coin has traditionally been described as a military issue of Julius Caesar, struck perhaps in Spain. David Sear in Imperators has plausibly argued that the coin is better seen as an early military issue of Octavian, struck in conjunction with the Mutina War in the spring of 43 BC. Sear points out that Caesar, in his massive coinages in Gaul and the civil war theaters, uses the cognomen CAESAR alone, without the addition of the imperatorial title. The only exception is the rare Sicilian issue of Allienus, Crawford 457/1, which is in many ways atypical. In contrast, Octavian's first portrait coin, Crawford 490/1, does employ precisely the legend C CAESAR IMP. The present coin then fits nicely as Octavian's initial military issue, quickly replaced by one bearing his portrait.")

[​IMG]

Sadly, the Gemini coin above (previously Lanz, before that Naville X, Petrowicz Collection in 1925) is not in my collection.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    TIF, Jwt708, Johndakerftw and 8 others like this.
  16. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Some other non-portrait Caesarian denarii in my collection:

Phil (102).JPG Phil (125).JPG Phil (126).JPG Phil (127).JPG

TIF, Jwt708, Johndakerftw and 10 others like this.
  17. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

Great examples all, thank you for sharing! I knew I should have put quotes around "seven" or "completed." Good catch @Volodya ! Unsure if I'll ever snag 452/4,5 but to be honest do not have 467/1b yet, so that may be next on the hit list. Thank you for the 482/1 info, fascinating tidbit regarding possible Octavian early issue. Guided me to dig a little deeper on 480/21, which apparently is thought to be one of Antony's early issues.

Volodya likes this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Sorry guys no silver non-portrait only have this 46-45 BC Dupondius. IMG - Copy.jpg

TIF, Jwt708, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

The Mostest Awesomist coins, as ever Phil... can you please take some photo lessons from dougsmit though, so we can all fully appreciate their beauty? :)

Volodya and rg3 like this.
  20. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great set and great examples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

TIF, Nemo, Ancient Aussie and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted