All this talk about silver prices falling, but no mention of gold

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

When I answered I quoted you and your response is unedited. I'm the "guy above" as you put it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Right, and sometimes dwarves end up together, and people in wheelchairs get married. That doesn't mean they are beautiful. It means two "3s" found each other and will live happily ever after.

It's wonderful that in the developed world we create a society where every human life is valued equally and we expect that everyone, no matter their sex, race, religion, disability, etc. will be treated equally under the law and will have an opportunity for happiness just like everyone.

But that doesn't mean we have to change our definition of beauty to accommodate a toothless, fat midget in a wheel chair.

4. myownprivy

But anyway, let's bring it back to topic.

Some people like penny stocks, but that doesn't mean they are equally good stocks to Fortune 500 companies.
    Some people like silver, but that doesn't mean it's an equally good precious metal to gold.

Gold is performing better than silver. I believe gold is a better buy than silver because it takes up less space, has lower premiums, and I find it to be more attractive. When it comes to gold vs silver, I will grant you, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But in terms of perfomance, storage, or premiums to purchase, it is not subjective.

5. Collecting Nut

To each their own but it's nice to know that you agree that when 2 people find each other, regardless of how they look, dress or whatever physical issues they face in life, they find each other beautiful. Still in the eyes of the beholder.

Jeffjay likes this.
  6. myownprivy

No, I don't agree with the last part of that. I think it's pretty obvious that when one fat, toothless midget in a wheelchair goes on a date with another fat, toothless midget in a wheel chair, or that when a "7" goes on a date with another "7" that he will tell her she is the most beautiful woman in the world. But of course, we all know that Scarlett Johannsson is more attractive. But he won't tell her that.

7. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If you want something that's going to perform, that is, increase in value, you generally don't start with something that's just had a record one-day increase in price. Start with something that's beaten down, and ripe for recovery.

Platinum, for example, is still well below half the price of gold. How often has that happened in the past 100 years? Never before.

Why is it so low? Because it's most heavily used in industry, and while it was much more expensive than gold, lots of applications switched to a less costly metal -- palladium. Now that palladium has skyrocketed, industrial users are looking at moving back to platinum, but industry in general is going into a bit of a slump during the Late Unpleasantness. So, platinum is the cheapest it's been in about 15 years.

A global recession or depression might drive it lower still, but not forever. The same forces might drive gold higher still, but not forever.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree that evolutionary standards favor your idea of beauty. Google "Venus of Willendorf" for an image of the famous paleo carving showing a VERY heavy-set woman. And that carving is just one of many paleo carvings depicting obese women. THAT was their standard of beauty. An obese woman could afford to bear and nurse children, survive the winter, know how to forage and may have reflected on her provider(s) as a well-fed woman likely showed that the hunters in her clan were competent.'

Google Titian and look at the size of those women. That was a standard of beauty, also. No Skinny-Minnies there.

To be honest, I have had to overcome a prejudice against obese people. Maybe I'm finally growing up. Maybe the realization and acceptance of my own addictions and genetic inheritance are encouraging me to accept that of others.
    Maybe what's on the inside really DOES count more than what one sees, and beauty really is only skin deep.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I prefer my wife of 48 years today even though she is quite a bit overweight, over my wife of the honeymoon era when she weighed 115. Today she knows me and still loves me. Back then she was judgmental and tried to change me (try to change an extrovert with ADHD and addictive tendencies and let me know how that works for you). She is still beautiful to me because in her I see our children, grandchildren and a vast host of memories, good and bad, that make up who we are together.

Steve

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll add two more points, somewhat related to @Stevearino's:

1) My wife and I have both changed in appearance during our 30+ years together. But when we look at each other, we still see the fresh-faced twenty-somethings who we fell for.

2) I see a lot more people as beautiful than I did when I was in my 20s. Maybe that means "my standards have gone downhill". But you know what it means to me? I see a lot more beautiful people. The horror!

Stevearino and Collecting Nut like this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

How long have coin collectors been in love with "Reich's fat mistress" half dollar?

12. Collecting Nut

@Stevearino Well said!
    @-jeffB Your standards have not gone down hill. With age comes wisdom and with wisdom comes beauty.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. Stevearino

@jeffB, when I look in the mirror sometimes I think, "What the hell happened to that young guy?"

Steve

14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Oh yeah I forgot about the Maria Theresa Thaler. Ever hear of that one priv; the one they've been minting for the last jillion years? I doubt she fits your "standards" of beauty, but the coin has been collected forever. Why is that?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  15. Stevearino

I had to look up “Reich’s fat mistress,” as I’d never heard of her. It’s a wonder what I learn on CT.

Steve

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

My lobby where the SDB is has appointments only, but you can only get one if you are 60 or older. So, I am locked out of my SDB right now.

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Disability has nothing to do with age. I draw a disability pension from the VA from my service in the Gulf War and I am barely over 50. Want to go down that rabbit trail now you have insulted older people and those who are heavyset? ;)

On the original TOPIC, silver is more widely held than gold, platinum, palladium, etc. That is why more people talk about it, because more people OWN it. I own all 4 and comment on all 4, but never owned any except for silver, (except for a random quarter ounce eagle I won in my coin club's raffle somehow), until I was in my 40's. I am lucky in that now life has afforded me the ability to buy gold freely without busting my budget, but most of my life that was not true, and for many people in this country it is not true, especially during trying times like this. May not be the best time to be elitist and belittling others' PM holdings. People afford what they afford, like what they like, collect what they collect. All of them I consider kindred spirits to myself. Some can afford much more than I, others less, but we are all similar on this board. :)

18. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I believe the lower price allows people to buy "more" so they like that.

If you are into coins, then you can buy lots of different patterns with silver that you can't with gold because of the price differential.

Draft saved Draft deleted