All opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, Nov 16, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

ldhair
    There is an easier way I just have to go to my profile page and click On post, and it brings up all the threads that I have posted on CT.

It's not surprisingly the post that I put up for rim burrs was deleted from CT sometime back in 2016. And There's only two people with the capability of deleting post on this forum is GDJMSP Or Peter.
    I only say this because another post of mine was deleted basically for the same reason.
    It seems that some members took a 6000-year-old Yiddish word and claimed it was a racist thing.
    Those members know exactly who they are all I will say is lease please do a little research before you start throwing those kind of accusations around.

That's in the past and I hope we can just all move on.
    With a little better understanding that just because you have not heard of it does not mean it does not exist.
    And if there's one thing I learned about being on CT if you gonna express your opinions, you better do your research first.
    ldhair Since I can't speak for others I'll just say still waiting to see that photo of a fin that matches my photo of a rim burr which you are calling a fin.
    Do a Google search for images of a fin on coins, there is a lot of photos.
    Now some of them I personally wouldn't call a fin.
    But that's just my opinion for what it's worth. USMC60

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Well Kurt don't know if you're screwing with me or not. I'll see what I can do about about providing you some photos. USMC60

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I never called it anything. You will need to find your own images.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You changed your story.
    You first said your threads were deleted. That's different than having a post deleted. Any mod can delete a post. Someone must have reported your post. I have no idea if what you said was racist or not. Sounds like someone thought it was.

6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

ldhair
    You are absolutely correct and I apologize. But I'm still waiting for you to name that burr.
    So I may learn the correct names for these burrs. usmc60
    Exactly some members do not know the meaning of words or they've never heard of it.
    Yes I get turned around sometimes, I had what I thought was a decent thread on rim burrs. I can only speculate at this point. From what I remember about comments being made in my thread. I've never heard of that.
    That's why when the moderator said that he's never heard of a rim burr.
    That brings me back to the thread that I posted which had similar comments made.
    So if he has a couple of members that report the thread that there is no such thing, and the moderator has never heard of it. So with the reports of never hearing about rim burrs and the moderator doesn't believe it is only logical thing to do is to delete a thread that people say does not exist.

Here is another thread that was deleted a few months back. This because the members never heard about something and evidently the moderator has never heard about it.
    Let me just say the moderator has a very hard job here on CT. But at least give the members the respect of doing a little research before you delete there threads.

Yes people have the right to report threads.
    All I'll say is before you start throwing out slanderous comments, have the courtesy to do your research first.
    Numismatist
    Yeah that must be why the thread was reported as being offensive and racist by other members - because gly, or, should your behavior continue as it has been, you won;t have any choice in the matter at all, you will simply be banned.

All I know is a few members had the opportunity to read that thread.
    As you can see in the moderators statement
    all I'm saying is before you pass judgment do your research.
    And choose your words wisely. Because after you tar and feather someone it's too late. USMC60

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I give up. It's not possible to follow most of what you post. You say one thing and in your next post you do a 180. I quit.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Do a search on any thread where the 2017 Palladium Eagle was being discussed. There are pictures of fins on that. The 2016 gold Merc dime, too. What you're calling a burr MAY BE (but not always) a smashed flat or collapsed fin.

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kurt I hope you don't mind but I'm going to jump to my other thread, name that burr on the error forum. I believe it would be more appropriate.
    This one I definitely want opinions on, so if you don't mind please check it out.

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kurt that's where it gets tough examining these. Like on the one pointed out you can see the reads and the burr to me that's a clue. I would appreciate it if we could transfer this to my other thread. That way anybody doing research on burrs will get this important information.
    I may be wrong but I feel we are discussing a very important part when it comes to burrs and fins.
    But due to the title of this thread it indicates nothing about burrs. Where my other titled name this burr, will draw more attention for someone looking up information on burrs.
    We have a very good discussion going on I feel with a lot of important information.

I know I have learned a few new things and reclassified a few of the coins.
    But still have a few coins that I do not have answers for. That's where the in put from experienced members will help. And Kurt if you check out my other thread on errors I would appreciate your and put on that particular coin that I'm displaying.

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Example please. I can't correct something if I don't know what it is

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I was always wondering how the grading service would grade a coin that came in like this. Oh and Kurt I would like to send these off to you I'm sure you get a better photo, these USB cameras can only do so much. ct11-18-a.jpg ct11-18-.jpg
    The quarter you can see their residue it actually goes into his for head and out at 10 to 11 like I say they don't show up that much of quarters nickels and dimes. But on the cents, the dry cleaning solution definitely shows up.
    Another 10 or 15 minutes in the wash would probably get rid of this excess.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Here is a simple explanation that I have picked up over the years from talking, reading, studying, and observing numismatics. I’m surprised it is not written in one of the numismatic glossaries, but I think it explains what some of the “seasoned” members have been trying to say.

Burr- During the blanking process, the punch is incomplete and some torn metal remains attached to the blank. Most of these are removed during handling and/or in the upset mill. If the burr remains attached when the coin is stuck, and it’s pressed INTO the planchet during the minting process, it is called a burr. Normally, burrs need to be relatively large to remain attached to the blank and planchet until it gets to the die

Fin – The thin edge formed during striking when metal flows into tiny gaps between the collar and die. They DO NOT indent the rim or fields. Folded fins tend to wear off quickly once the coin starts to circulate. Thicker fins DO NOT fold (I believe this is the typical definition of fin), and can be seen as uneven thicknesses of the coin when viewed from the edge

Another “error” that is sometime seen is that the copper core is missing, uneven, or missing when looking at the edge. I believe, that this due to the malleable metal “smearing” or being pushed as the coin is the collar is retracted. It’s a minor thing, but if you look at the edges of enough clad coins, you’ll probably come across some where the copper core looks like its missing. I cannot offer proof, but I believe this is a reasonable explanation of this phenomenon. (In the grand scheme of things, it probably isn’t that important anyway)

What you’ve been posting have been folded fins. When you consider the high speed minting process and tolerances in the equipment, it’s not surprising to see many of these on new coins.

Technically, these are all burr according to the metal working industry, but by using to BURR to describe extra metal left on a mispunched blank, and FIN (or folded fin) to describe what happens during striking, it separates the two, and more accurately describes the method that where each occurs.

Enough of this nonsense, I'm joining @ldhair

Evan8 likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's even an easier way - simply use the search function. Type in the words "rim burr" and then your user name in the appropriate place, then click on the search button. It will bring up 3 pages of posts you have made, 51 of them, including all of those you made in 2016. And I do mean all of them, not a 1 of them was removed.

And I can say that with certainty because when posts and or threads are removed, well they aren't really deleted. They're just moved to a special section that only CT staff can see. And all of those post are intentionally kept for two reasons. 1 - so that we have a written record of offenses made (breaking the rules) by the membership. And 2 - so that the moderators and their actions can be supervised.

You're completely wrong on that. Any moderator can remove a post or thread - not just me or Peter.

No, it wasn't. Yes you have had a lost of posts removed. And each and every one of them was removed because you broke the forum rules. And as I said above, all of those post still exist. And I just looked at all of them, every one of them, and not even 1 of them even has the term rim burr in it. There are however 12 posts that you made in 2016 that do have the term rim burr in them. And each and every one of those is right where you originally made them.

That does not happen, not ever. The one and only time that posts and or threads are removed is when they break the forum rules.

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Thank you very much for your reply. I don't know what to tell you I've looked about a half a dozen times. Maybe I'll look a half a dozen more.
    I'll go back in my photo record my systems all screwed up because I do not have a system.

My observation that I was aware that moderators had the power to modify post. But I was unaware that you give them the power to delete threads I thought that right was only reserved for the to. Which you are the top dog along with Peter and have the final say on what happens.

All I remember at one time, is telling a friend of mine at breakfast.
    That I did a Google search for rim burrs, and my thread came up on coin talks listing.
    That was the first time I was made aware that Google listed threads in their search engine.

I'm fully aware of my Saratoga listing, the only problem is I have plenty of other photos that I remember posting and getting negative comments about. Why I remember that is because that was also discussed at breakfast about the negative comments. GDJMSP, Thank you for the additional information. And I will try your way for the search.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No post or thread has ever been removed from this forum because it got negative comments. Or because somebody said they'd never heard of such thing before.

And even when a thread or a post is reported, it is not at all unusual for that report to be rejected by the moderators. When I say rejected, what that means is that the moderators do not do anything to, remove or change the post in any way.

You see, just because a member thinks somebody might be breaking the rules, that does not mean the CT staff will agree with that member. It is ONLY when the staff decides that the rules have been broken that they do anything. Otherwise the post is simply left alone.

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

All you said is basically what I've been saying. Again we have a lack of photos to help put your point across. I have made it a point just to say that if the metals attached to the coin by definition it's a burr. And like I've said before everyone likes to put them in a category. That is what I'm attempting to do with the help of members like yourself and others I believe discussion is the only way to resolve questions.To express your point I would've put up this photo.
    Since my computer is kinda messing up on me I'll have to get back with that photo later. I find your input helpful and insightful.
    Now if you could I would really like your input on name that burr.
    If you would be so kind. USMC60

18. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Thank you very much for your information and help now let's just move on. USMC60

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Okay let me try this again. You can call it nonsense all you want, but actually I myself have been learning several things. And if this old Marine can learn something, I'm sure others are learning from it to.

Tell you the truth you can go with whomever you choose, that's your choice.
    Regardless of what other members may think, I have actually learned a lot being on this site.
    In the learning process I have found in my life you need to question things you do not understand, and ask questions.
    At least that's part of my learning process.
    Now I'm gonna try this photo download again. Hope my computer cooperates.
    Now if you would've gone to my other thread you will see this photo in that thread.
    Actually I believe you just named it. Burr/fin burr-F-1.jpg Or is it.The reason I say that why does the bottom of the inside rim look the way it looks.? And noticed there is no copper core on this burr. PS I think it would be appropriate if you respond on my other error coin thread name this burr . usmc60

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  20. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

21. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I concur its shows metal that has been folded over after the coin was struck

Draft saved Draft deleted