All opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, Nov 16, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

My question is. Is a rim burr a error.?

My opinion is (yes)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I guess that depends on what you are calling a rim burr. Personally I've never heard the term before so I'm not quite sure what it might be.

Are you sure you're not talking about finning ? And if you don't know what that is it's metal that gets squeezed up between the die and the collar on the very corner of the rim when a coin is struck with excess pressure. And I suppose some could a small bit of that a burr. So is that what you're talking about ?

5. James S

James S Low Mintage

1371 here served 97-01, I hope you get your answer Marine

6. V. Kurt Bellman

What I call a rim burr is PMD. Terms are important. Finning is, to me, neither fish nor fowl. Not an error, not PMD. It's just an "it is what it is". And what it is is "embarrassing QC at work".

green18 likes this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you're talking about a rim ding Kurt then I would agree. But since he used the term burr instead of ding I assumed he was talking about a bit of metal that is on the corner of the rim that was not caused by external contact.

But maybe I'm wrong, that's why I asked him the question.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The lack of finning, or flash, especially on an older proof is a sign that either the coin wasn't fully struck, or it has been sliding around enough to wear it off. It isn't a QC problem - it is natural for high pressure multiple strikes. All of the new 1 oz. gold Buffaloes have it, and I think that that is a QC problem. But PCGS/NGC will still grade them MS70.

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I'll put it to you this way it is both yes and no. Since it's comes to burrs there are a wide variety of them. The only problem is when trying to look up information on it it spread out all over the place. But Fred here's a article I'm sure you and GD will both appreciate, and Fred I'm sure you'll recognize some of the members and their comments. USMC60
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...che.all.html&usg=AOvVaw2t8YrQL73_ihmLFQ-zZcbc

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

GDJMSP Well that explains why a rim burr thread I had disappeared off the CT back in 2016 sometime.Well sir there are rim burrs and there's quite a few varieties.

And no I'm not referring to a fin. And just like a rim burr the fin has many varieties to.And Sir just because you may not heard of some phrase, does not mean it does not exist.I'm sure you've heard of the word burr,Now here is a link that you can hear it from a lot more credible people than myself.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...che.all.html&usg=AOvVaw2t8YrQL73_ihmLFQ-zZcbc

And here's another term from someone else rim-1.jpg Now I understand why you do what you do.

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

GDJMSP Here's one of my personal struck through rim burrs, not the best I have better USMC60 ct12-9-.jpg

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I've always understood a rim burr to be excess metal struck onto the rim, which is due to a thin slip of metal left over from when planchets are punched. It can cause a coin to be slightly overweight.

13. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

As was brought up in another thread, a bur on metal is left from improper cutting, period. Even the article you posted tells you this. And also as was brought up in the other thread, when it goes through the upsetting mill, it folds the excess metal over. There isn't a "bur" there anymore, just folded over metal, hence the name fold over error.

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You know I'm gonna have to check that out. I always thought the blank was punched out at a designated diameter to equal a designated weight. I could see on the rollovers,
    where there would be a little extra material due to an incomplete punch.

But as far is a regular rim burr, I do not think the weight would change that much, or still will be at within the tolerances.

have to break my scale out and start weighing some of these. USMC60

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I'll try and explain it again there are many types of burrs,And if what you're saying is that that excess gets folded over the edge before it goes into the press. I'll stop there and let you think about that. PS I've read the coin world article about six times, I would suggest you read is a couple of more times yourself because evidently you're missing something

16. Hommer

Maybe this will help.

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Watch that video plenty of times myself. What's interesting is if you stop the video on certain portions of the video and take a closer look like when they showed the blanks, you can actually see a couple of burrs on the blanks.

Please explain to me on the photo I'm about to show you photo b how what you're calling as fold-over which is actually excess reading material, how come this material was not struck into the coin if by what you're saying this excess material was bent over in the reading machine. Please explain. USMC60 burr-B.jpg

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

What's a reading machine?

19. Hommer

In your photo, it shows metal that has been folded over after the coin was struck. That metal was at one point a fin, or finning. I added some points to your photo to show where the metal is protruding past the inner rim, which should tell you that it was folded over after the strike. Also, if you look carefully, you can see evidence of reeding on the folded over metal, which should indicate that it was against the collar at one time,

burr-B.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

Reading, reeding, schmeeding. Who needs precise terms, right? :rolleyes:

ldhair likes this.
  21. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kurt I admit I get a little excited sometimes. I apologize be for not using the proper term upsetting mill. In layman's terms if it puts a reading in the edge of a coin is still a reading machine to, in layman's terms. I'm only saying and I pointed out rim burr is used, I don't see anywhere in the article were Finning was used. But I did see plenty of references to rim burr's.

Draft saved Draft deleted