Alexandrian drachms Vespasian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Here are two rough-and-tumble drachms of the emperor Vespasian minted in Alexandria. You know, large unwieldy yellowish bronze coins rounded on one side and sharp-rimmed at the other.

They are both variants of Emmett 208. I can't read any dates on them. The emperor is on the flat side, Nike (Victory) on the convex side. The other drachms I know have the emperor on the convex side.
    Both coins were sloppily made, but I doubt if they have been used and worn a lot.

I await your comments! Beautiful they aren't! But interesting.

Vesp ct.jpg

AE drachm Vespasian, Alexandria. Left. Bust of Nike with little wings on her shoulders. r. Right. Laureated head of Vespasian r. 35 mm, 21.85 gr. Emmett 208.

3141 ct.jpg

AE drachm Vespasian, Alexandria. Obv. Bust of Nike r. Rev. Head of Vespasian r. 37 x 35 mm, 20.69 gr. Emmett 208.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very cool! I find beauty in some ugly things lol eye of the beholder and all that.

I don't have a Vespasian, but here's one of his boys (and it has the same strike side for the obv/rev as yours):
    [​IMG]
    Domitian, Ruled 81-96 AD
    AE Diobol, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 88/89 AD

Obverse: AYTOK KAIΣAP Δ•MITIANOE ΣEB ΓEPM, laureate head right.
    Reverse: Draped bust of Alexandria right in elephant headdress, date ΕΤΟVΣ ΟΓΔΟΟV as legend, RY 8. (Original collector’s envelope is misattributed.)
    References: Emmett 278 (reverse unlisted for this year)
    Size: 23mm, 7.7g
    Ex: The Reverend Willis McGill Collection (McGill was an American missionary stationed in Egypt, who started collecting there during World War I)

Broucheion, Marsyas Mike, TIF and 8 others like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Interesting indeed. Very nice pickups.

I have a Dattari plate coin of Vespasian. It is a diabol. It is also not a beautiful coin but I love it anyway.

Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Vespasian, 69-79 Diobol circa 70-71 (year 3), Æ
    ( 26.5mm., 9.15g.)
    Obv: Laureate head r.
    Rev. Bust of Isis r.; in front, LΓ. RPC 2430 (this coin cited). Dattari-Savio Pl. 14, 382 (this coin).
    Brown tone. Very Fine.
    From the Dattari collection.
    Naville Numismatics Auction #30, Lot 283, April 02, 2017.
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.

Vespasian Dattari 2 copy.jpg

Broucheion, Marsyas Mike, TIF and 7 others like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Vespasian. Tet of Alexandria, 25 mm 12.2 grams. Reverse: Nike. On this one you can tell there is some silver in the coin.

vespasian.jpg

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Yes, 'rough and tumble' ... but with a lot of appeal. I wish I could precisely attribute them for you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Pellinore and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  7. Justin Lee

8. Justin Lee

This reverse type was struck RY 1-3, and only RY 2 & 3 used the AVTOK KAIΣ Σ[EB AO VEΣΠAΣIANOΥ] obverse legend, so can be narrowed down to 69/70 or 70/71 AD.

Pellinore likes this.
  9. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I think the first one looks pretty good, and the second isn’t so bad either.

Pellinore likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have no Vespasians and no Flavian drachms but will show three Domitian minors.
    dichalkon ibis LIA
    pa0190fd0397.jpg

obol griffin
    pa0180bb1136.jpg

diobol bull
    pa0200fd1726.jpg

11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Hadrian Ae Drachm Rv. Tyche stg l. Milne 1365 Emmett 1062 (17) 132-133 A.D. 28.05 grms 33 mm alexhadd3.jpg

12. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Great @Terence! I have the same type, but hesitated about the identity of the goddess. Now I see it is the same, even the same date, but much more battered than yours.
    3142 Hadr ct.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted