Latest Marcus Aurelius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Here is my latest Alexandrian Tet featuring Marcus Aurelius as Augustus. My other is as Caesar.

This coin seems pretty rare as I didn't find any others but @TIF did over at http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/ So big thanks to her. Emmett says otherwise, but we know how book ratings are.

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius (161 - 180 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: Μ ΑVΡΗ ΑΝΤωΝΙΝΟС С Laurete head left wearing cuirass and paludamentum.
    R: Tyche seated left, wearing kalathos, resting hand on rudder, holding cornucopia; in left field, Year Δ = Year 4 (163/4 A.D.)
    21mm
    12.98g
    Emmett 2085 Dattari 3393

Here is my other Tet of him as Caesar.

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius (139 - 161 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: M AYRHLIOC KAICAR, bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: Homonoia standing left by altar, holding patera and double cornucopiae. LI-Z across fields.
    Year 17 (of Antoninus Pius), 153-154 A.D.
    12.81g
    21mm
    Dattari 3150; Emmett 1850; Kampmann 37.67

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice @Mat I really like these coins of Alexandria.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very cool @Mat ! You are pounding out the Tets, and you are getting the Caesar and Augustus versions. Nice. Like the toning on both, but for some reason, I favor the Augustus version.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice, @Mat!!! I just got a Domitian Alex Tet delivered today. I'll photo and share it here when I get home.

I see an L (doesn't that stand for "year"? Like L-B, L-Gamma, or the LI-Z?) but don't see a Delta... It's it off flan? Am I mistaken?

Edit: Here it is...
    CollageMaker_20181112_175557204.jpg 20181112_175626.jpg

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

It looks we're all becoming Tet heads. Iv'e got a Commodus coming tomorrow in the mail! It's all @TIF 's fault!

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A great coin from my favorite Philosopher-King!

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks, everyone.

It's off flan. I am going with the more common year, according to Emmett. Either way, still pretty rare from the looks of it.

Justin Lee likes this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Excellent coin @Mat! Not one you run across everyday. Congrats!

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes and you youngsters need to get off my Alexandrian lawn right now!:mad:

[​IMG]
    ;)

I like your new tet, Mat. Having a youthful Caesar portrait and an wizened Augustus portrait is just good common sense. :angelic:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius as Caesar
    AE obol, 20.5 mm, 6.0 gm. Alexandria.
    Year 15 (CE 151/2)
    Obv: MAVPHΛICKAICAP; bust right, bare head
    Rev: Sphinx crouched right in the pose of the Great Sphinx of Giza; LIE (date) above in left field
    Ref: Emmett 1919.15, R5; Dattari 3221; RPC IV online 15684

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius
    year 12, CE 171/2
    AE diobol, 22 mm, 7.53 gm
    Obv: [MAV]PHΛIOC ANTω[ΝΙΝΟCCE]; laureate bust right
    Rev: Uraeus serpent erect left, wearing headdress; "holding" sistrum and grain ear; LI - B across upper fields
    Ref: Dattari 3605 and Pl. XXXII, 3605 (this coin). Dattari-Savio Pl. 193, 3605 (this coin); Geissen --; Emmett 2260.12, R5
    ex Dattari collection (Giovanni Dattari, 1858-1923)

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Justin, your coin is a diobol rather than a tetradrachm. Tetradrachms of that time were made of billon and looked more silvery. Also, your coin is smaller in diameter than tets of that time and it has that cast flan appearance typical of diobols (rounded or beveled flan). The weight of your coin is probably closer to 8 gm rather than the tetradrachm-ish 13 gm.

Also, the year (which is spelled out on your coin's reverse) is ΕΤΟVΣ ΟΓΔΟΟV, or regnal year 8 (88/9 CE) rather than year 9 as is written on the old card that came with your coin.

Your coin is Emmett 278 and the rarity rating is... not stated because the reverse isn't listed in Emmett for this year!! Cool!

This reverse is known in Domitian diobols for regnal years 2 and 3 (R1), 4, 5, and 6 (R5), and 9 (R4).

12. Justin Lee

That IS cool!!! Thank you for your help, @TIF!!
    [​IMG]

Alegandron likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

@dougsmit, Justin's diobol is struck with the reverse on the rounded edge side and obverse on the sharp edge side. I recall you wondering if there was a convention to strike the obverse on the rounded side, as seems to be the case with Ptlolemaic coins and most such Roman Egyptian flans. I recall finding a smattering of Roman Egyptian obols which had the reverse struck on the rounded side but I don't recall seeing a diobol struck that way so I took a very hasty cruise through the first 200 "Egypt diobol" hits in ACsearch. I saw only four with this orientation: two diobols of Agrippina Jr, one of Otho, and one of Domitian.

Edited: I scanned another fifty and saw several more examples of this orientation from various emperors. Maybe it's not as uncommon as first thought.

Pellinore and Justin Lee like this.
  14. Justin Lee

And you're right... 7.7g.

TIF likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Understand: I really like the Emmett book and think all who have any interest should buy one now and thank the author for all his good work. HOWEVER, would it have killed him to note on the page that year eight and nine were spelled out rather than L numbered? This coin fooled the writer of the envelope (long before Emmett!). We expect the nine to be spelled out to avoid using the feared theta (that story has been told here several times before). I assume Dattari did not have an eight and the envelope writer probably saw the letters and forced the coin into a reading in his book. I see this as a great coin. If you pay off John Anthony maybe he will give you TIF's name in Secret Santa. I suspect she would like that coin. :angelic:

I can not grasp the ID of Mats OP tetradrachm. Where oes the legend start? 1 o'clock? Where is the delta?

Further investigation showed that small AE like obols seem to come either way but drachms and hemidrachms are regularly curved on the obverse. While I agree that tetradrachms of this period should be a little gray there are some toned black. A blind person could separate the billon from the AE based on the difference in the way the flans were produced. No tet should show that tapered edge and similar sized obols/diobols all should.

I believe all who have trespassed on her Alexandrian lawn should package up all Alexandrians and ship them off to TIF. She will then be expected to produce a book illustrating Emmett and distribute it to all CT friends in digital form. I could be unreasonable and ask that she do pencil rubbings like Dattari/Savio but digital photos are almost as good and many times easier. I wish I could promise you that she would return the coins when the work is finished but it might be necessary to keep them together for a while (don't hold your breath). TIF: Watch for my package. It should arrive shortly after you shovel out from the next blizzard. No fair moving!:troll:

zumbly, TIF and Justin Lee like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, it starts at 1 o'clock.

The delta was Mat guessing about the date, picking one of the more common years for the type.

@Mat, looking again I think I see a hint of Θ at the 3 o'clock edge of your coin's reverse. I found several more in RPC online too... here's one like yours with a theta in that location:

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/14449/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Justin Lee

I think that's pretty compelling evidence and would agree with that assessment too.

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks.

19. Justin Lee

(Sorry for resurrecting a few month old thread, but it seems relevant to post it here.)
    I just got a very similar MA tet but with his bust facing right:
    [​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius
    BL Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Obverse
    : M AYΡHΛIOC ANTΩNINOC C (Ω inverted), laureate head right.
    Reverse: Tyche seated left, kalathos on head, holding rudder and cornucopiae; L-Є (date) RY 5 = 164/165 AD.
    References: Dattari 3394, Emmett 2085.5(?)
    Size: 23mm, 15g

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice one @Mat and congrats on another tet.

21. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

MarcusAureliusMERGE.jpg
    33mm.. she's a big beauty!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted