Adding to my stack... Just keep adding just one more

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by goldrealmoney79, Mar 29, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

Seeing what this itty bitty bug has done to mankind, I have realized how foolish I was to trust in fiat currency.
    I have spent the past couple of weeks understanding the stacking mentality and have fully embraced it. With this 2Trillion deal just passed we broke the camels back and at this point I am better off converting my money into real assets before people realize this god darn paper is worthless. Once worthless I will just burn the green paper.

Started adding to my stack, bought small gold since I dont wanna break up an ouncer as well as some gold old 90%. What do yall think fo my purchases?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-1-10-ounce-5-00-american-gold-eagle/193398001888?hash=item2d076b50e0:g:qZgAAOSwNIhee~~-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/roll-of-20-circulated-90-silver-1964-Kennedy-half-dollars/264676460592?hash=item3d9ff24830:g:SYsAAOSw6SNdtHsS

Anyone else adding to their stack during this breakdown of society?? WHat ar eyou buying? What do you think is best to buy?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I have invested heavily in single ply toilet paper, hand sanitizer, spam and canned green beans. :cigar:

Clawcoins likes this.
  4. FarmerBill

FarmerBill Member

Well both of those were great choices to add to the stack but they came at a healthy premium. I don't believe this is going to be the end of the world. The United States has awesome reasorces that we are just starting to see marshaled. I stick by my theory of having no more than 5-10% of your investment money in PMs. Keep funding your IRAs and 401ks. We'll recover and probably be a better country for it. If you're 41 then you are in your prime earning years. Slow and steady on the PMs. Don't buy into the panic.

mill rat41, YoloBagels and cpm9ball like this.
  5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Just remember that fakes abound.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Buy what you can, when you can st the lowest price you can. Welcome to CT.

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

You really should add Navy Beans to your port folio. They can complement and shortcoming in a feast.

mynamespat likes this.
  8. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow Mix, Fancy Feast, and a good scratching post. Meow was going to buy some silver too but thought the premiums where too high compared to the spot price, so bought SLV instead.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You are actually converting currency into money.

10. TheFinn

SLV. Thanks for the chuckle.

longarm likes this.
  11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

In re your purchases: melt value of the Kennedy's is a hair over $100, while the melt value of the gold piece is $165. The price you paid on the Kennedy's seems reasonable to me, and the price you paid on the AGE is around what they've been going for recently.

I think diversification is always smart. Some gold here, some silver there, and even some platinum if it's reasonable. If you're in it strictly for the bullion, stay away from collector's sets (e.g. what one would buy from the mint: encapsulated inside a box with a COA) and slabbed coinage as it usually collects a higher premium. APMEX always has a good deal or two every now and again, especially if you branch out into foreign bullion, but for now eBay is likely your best option to continue buying from.

We're gonna get along just fine.

Welcome to CoinTalk.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy folks,

I've been lucky in that I've been both a collector (for 65 years) and a stacker (for almost 50) and have seen this happen before. Golly, watching the POG and POS is pretty much hardwired into my brain.

While I don't consider myself a gold bug type hoarder, I was finishing my BA in Economics in the late 1970's and financing it with GI Bill and selling silver I had bought out of restaurant tills for face value in the mid-70's.

As a long time investor and for many types of assets, Dollar Cost Averaging is one of the best ways to proceed. By this you buy the same dollar amount on a regular basis of the asset regardless of its price (e.g. $1000 a month buying ASEs). Over time, as the price goes up, you get fewer ASEs but when it comes down, you get more. Yeah, your cost averages out over time.

For this reason, and seasonality, I always buy my annual stuff mostly in January when it's minted all over the world. When stuff hits the fan, I buy more.

In addition to physical bullion (always best if safe), I LOVE to play the stock market and particularly the junior silver miners. There are many ways to play. SLV was mentioned as it is the silver Exchange Traded Fund. GLD is gold. There are others. These are Paper bullion products and they've recently been liquidated by folks having to meet margin calls on the stock market. This is why the POG and POS are waaaaaay under what the street values them at. This is why premiums have skyrocketed. It's the same as any artificially priced market - supply disappears or premiums skyrocket or both. We're experiencing both.

Back to the stock market offerings. You must be careful with bullion ETFs as they are taxed at the collectible rate. Keep them in a tax exempt or deferred account.
    For actual bullion fund, I like CEF. Most of the PM mutual funds are invested in mining stocks and NOT bullion. It's a hands off way on investing in bullion.

For myself, I've found the action to be with the junior miners, particularly silver. ETFs for these are GDXJ and SILJ. If you want to play the individual miners find them at kitco or kitco silver. They list them all.

In the Hunt Bros rally in the late 70's gold went up what 2 -3 fold to $850. Silver topped out up 10X to around $50. I remember buying a tube of ASE's including shipping and handling for under $90.

This served me well when the Big Bonanza started in 2002. Being a collector, I was watching, took note, and was in a position to play it. I owned stocks and had brokerage accounts for my 401 and 457 at work. Cha-ching!!!!! I was buying Silver Wheaton between $2 and 3 a share and at the peak around 2010 it topped out at $43. This is my only Home Run but damn it was sweet.

This is why for giggles I will always be playing the junior silver miners. Not as flashy as gold and not demanded for the same reason but the leverage is just son incredible. Wow.

gots to go,

peace and flatten the curve,

rono

13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If you are going to wait around for the U.S. Dollar to go to hell in a handbasket....you may be waiting a very very very long time. :D

14. MDO

MDO Active Member

Yes, we've been hoarding!!!!

My wife's stash, Charmin and Bounty!!

TPimage.jpg

My stack!!!

Gold stash IMG_2336.jpg

And I would be stashing more if my local coin shop would open back up!!!

longarm likes this.
  15. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Way overpaid for the 1/10th oz gold.
    Slightly overpaid for the Kennedy halves (way overpaid if you get them and they aren't as nice as advertised)

16. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

What then would you consider fair prices for both items?

17. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I would say converting currency into a storable commodity. Try taking that gold to Walmart and get full value for it sometime. Remember "money"s primary job is as a recognized medium of exchange. PM stopped being that a long time ago.

Hey, nothing in the world is wrong in not having currency, but commodities instead. I have more PM than a lot of people here. I convert some money into PM periodically and have for decades. Its a valid premise, but unless the Zombie apocalypse comes, it is not "money" right now, it is a commodity that offers certain protections and is portable, that can be converted into currency by selling to others.

Maybe "money" is a dead term. It used to be medium of exchange and store of value. Modern economies have split these two functions, and nothing REALLY is "money" anymore, for both aspects at least.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. TheFinn

Thank you for bringing up the fact that Americans have been indoctrinated not to know the value of gold. The Canadians are in the same boat.
    Anywhere else in the world knows it is money - not a debt-based currency that is only a promise that its citizens will be taxed to make it good... or worth its weight in paper/linen.

19. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

So I can pay for my IKEA junk in gold dust at European locations?

medoraman likes this.
  20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I don't believe there is any world currency that isn't fiat anymore.
    I always followed the theory that in a serious world problem, such as what we're going through now, PM's would do more than hold their own and actually rise. I'm not saying rise meteorically, but at least modestly. At this time nothing could be farther from the truth.

In my book, its been a disappointing eye opener and a sad taste of reality. So much for PM's being a hedge.

21. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

To defend PM's a little, gold, the most basic PM play, has held up better than almost any other asset class. It retained your purchase power mainly. Silver, platinum and palladium have always been more of an industrial metal.

I think the value of PM will come when all of these devalued dollars start floating around causing asset appreciation. The US government could probably not afford normal interest rates on their debt anymore, or Europe, so central banks will have to continue ultra low interest rates. That, combined with extra dollars, I do think could lead to a spike in a couple of years of PM prices again.

Btw @TheFinn I do think I stumbled on to our primary disagreement. We really are both right since the more I think about it, classic "money" no longer exists. Nothing on earth is a store of value and medium of exchange due to modern inflationary societies and fiat currency. So, knowing "money" is dead clarifies the issue for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted