Acid-Cleaning Buffalo Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pi man, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

How does one go about using acid to find the date of a no date/tough date buffalo nickel? I've heard of using vinegar, but how is this done? I understand it hardly increases the value (if at all), but I'd rather know the date and maybe fill a book than sit and stare at a pile of no-dates.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

IMHO some things should remain mysteries. If you acid date them the coin is ruined.

4. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

5. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

What if I use an eyedropper and just put it on the date area.

6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I would buy the nicadate and use that. It work okay, you can see the date, but they look wierd after.

7. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Would I find it at my coin dealer, or would I have to buy it online? And what would the price range for it be?

8. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

coin dealers usually have one, I got mine on ebay maybe 5-6 bucks, it will last forever.

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I buy mine from Wizard... and don't worry about ruining the coin... a dateless buff is worth exactly the same as one with an acid date. Here's the link for Wizard's Nic-a-Date:

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/nic-a-date.html

This one was completely dateless... now it's a 1917.:smile

[​IMG]

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I have a complete set of Buffalos acid washed as a teaching ade of what not to do to a buffalo nickel ! If it was not late I image them so you can see how to destroy a nickel. To me even a dateless coin has value and once you acid wash them they are worthless for sure.

11. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Alright, I'll check my LCS to see if they have it, then I'll turn to eBay or Wizard. Thanks again everybody.

12. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Even if it's just on the date area? I can't imagine it would do so much damage to an already basically worthless coin. Curiosity has just washed over me.

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

My LCS sells dateless/acid buffs for fifteen cents, and pays the same (ten cents) for both. I've got a bag of over 800 buffalos sitting on my desk... nary a one has a date. So every once in awhile I restore one out of curiosity. It won't hurt the value, and may actually increase same, as acid date coins sell for more on eBay than their dateless counterparts.

14. Jeff Dombeck

Jeff Dombeck New Member

Um, no, they are worth 5 cents!

15. Paddy54

16. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

It can be a very cheap way to fill holes in a book. You can get dateless coins fairly cheap and have at it for an afternoon.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Anything you do to a coin affects its value which is always lower.

18. Paddy54

But what you fail to realize is that yeah you filled holes ,damaged coins, and now own a album filled with coins that are worthless! Sorry ....not all my coins are MS ,but at least they aren't damaged and they have worth.

Some may find value in damage, or worn out coins, I personally don't!
    Some people collect yo yo's to each their own .... but a yo yo with a broken string isn't a yo yo it's a useless toy...that like damaged coins worthless!
    Now I do understand others do find value in what others consider trash.
    To each their own..... as for me I rather have 1 good coin then 1000 dateless circles.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is something you can always do if you decide, but can never reverse.

So put it off until you have more info and appreciation for a worn original. It is like giving your grandma a face lift and having her look like the Joker! Be patient, the date won't change until you are sure.

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Paddy54

Was your grand ma Phillis Diller phyllis-diller-1-raw.jpg

21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

It's worth noting that some desirable buffaloes can be identified without a date, so choose your dateless coins carefully.

It's also worth noting that this thread is 5 years old :zombie::playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted