Featured Accented Hair Reverse with Normal Obverse - listed as Variety by ANACS...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, May 17, 2014.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Pardon me for jumping back into the fire, I,ve found 2 in pf. 1 pf 66, and 1 pf 68 cam. out of my dozen or so proofs. I,ve found in bus. strike, 1 64-p in about 6 coins, 2-64-d in about 8 coins. They look to be very a very common die variety, much more common than the A.H. variety. The 64-p bus strike seems to be the least common variety but more collectors need to do a count. Since I am so "mis-informed" on this subject, I still think Trans-rev 64,s are very interesting coins, regardless of what some of you think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

@chascat - Just to clarify, you're talking about a 1964 (no mint mark) business strike with a Trans Rev. Correct?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. chascat

Yes, I found 1 of those. The 64-p business strike seem to be the scarcest of the three type 1 reverses.

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture you can post?

6. chascat

It is a trans rev. just like all the other pics.

TJ1952 likes this.
  7. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I know this thread is old but it is still relevant in some ways...I continue to watch 64 Kennedy's and the SMS coins and continue to learn information on them. As a spoof , I did a search on the Bay this morning...I was surprised to see what I did...

1st search

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1964 Transitional Reverse Kennedy Half Dollar Proof Uncirculated SKU 253&_itemId=391403137462&_trksid=p2047675.m4096

2nd Search (sold units)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1964 "Transitional Reverse" Kennedy&_sop=12&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_ipg=200&_stpos=46725-7751&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1964 Type 1 Transitional Reverse Kennedy.TRS0&_nkw=1964 Type 1 Transitional Reverse Kennedy&_sacat=0

Now what is neat is they bring only a small premium at this time, and I think the thread has the details as to why. I think they are more common than AH, yet much less common than 'regular'. I am sticking with the 200k number.

What has changed is this...

[​IMG]

Or so I thought until I see how the "Transitional Type One Reverse" was added. So today it seems that only ANACS will attribute this variety. Still I was excited for a minute when I saw this....especially at $149 but then the sold piles are not so nice..

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but as a Kennedy Collector "Accented Hair's Little Brother" still has a special place in my book.

Good Day...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. Jbruce

Jbruce Well-Known Member

I found your thread when searching for this transitional reverse type 1 online. I found one as well but it's on a business strike, 1964 P Kennedy. I've read that others are being found and wanted to let you know that they're out there. If you need a photo I will post the one I have, it's still in its original 1964 uncirculated package.

9. chascat

I,ve found this variety in 64 p&d business strikes and on several proofs...I,m thinking of sending the full set to anacs. These don,t mean much to some, but I enjoy them anyway!

10. Jbruce

Jbruce Well-Known Member

I only own one 1964 uncirculated set and the P has this. I own 2 1964 proofs but neither have this. It really was a eureka moment for me since I'm no avid collector.

11. chascat

I too was elated to find these in my collection...In mint state, the 64-d seems to be the least common, and the 64-p the most. They are also common in the Proofs... they,re easy to spot in photos so are easily found on E-Bay. I havn,t noticed any premium for these yet, but the variety is a good selling point...I don,t think many sellers know of or are very interested in these jewels in the rough! In another thread, I thought the 64-p was the more difficult of the three, but I don,t have enough data to really say one is scarcer than the others... I hope more collectors will check their inventory for a more accurate count.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  12. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

The Kennedy Book talks about them although the 'rareness' factor needs work.

13. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Are you talking about James Wiles' book? If so, not sure why the "rareness" factor needs work, I think he nailed it with his observations (especially when it is not rare).

14. Morgan Lover

Morgan Lover New Member

Below is an email to James Wexler concerning the Transitional Reverse with his reply. At the time I sent it I Was not aware of Business strike transitional reverse strikes. I sent the coins to ANACS and they came back as MS64 for the Philly and the two Denvers were MS63 & MS62. All three were notated "RDV-001 Straight G". I recently cherry picked a nice 64 proof set and the JFK has the Transitional Reverse. Will have it graded soon by ANACS.

David,

Yes, I have. My experience is that both reverses are relatively easy to find.

John

To: jwex@comcast.net
    Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:25:14 PM
    Subject: Transitional 1964 Kennedy Business Strikes

John,

Just a question. I know that ANACS has graded some 1964 JFK Proofs as transitional reverses (Straight G/broken rays), but I have not seen any mention of this reverse die being recognized as used on business strike coins. I have three business strikes (one Philadelphia and two Denver) 1964 Kennedys and all three have this transitional reverse. I will be glad to send them if needed. Just wondering if you had run across any business strike transition reverses in the past?
    Thanks,
    David

15. Hal1950

Hal1950 Old Dog

Since I notice that my little "add on" label, that was pictured by Ethan on June 25th showed up in this discussion, I thought I would ad my 2cents worth to this as well. Long and short... I bust a lot of proof sets. Over 600 1964's in the past 2 years (I keep a pretty good inventory count by year of what comes & what goes). I get them from coin shows around the country as well as dealers here in Colorado. Sometimes in small quantities & sometimes by the hundreds. I haven't kept an exact count of how many are what type since I also pass on a lot of sets that have problems (milk spots primarily) that do not get added to my inventory count. So this is not an exact estimate... but here goes. Sets that were purchased already identified as Accented Hair are not included in these counts. 624 sets were broken, 198 were rejected / scrapped for small milk spots I did not see without a glass at time of purchase (again no type noted). 22 sets of the remainder were accented hair that were found in sealed sets. That leaves 404 sets that yielded 11 rolls I put together & sold that contained what I thought were average/better quality proofs (65 / 66 grade) 75 of these were noted as type 1 reverse, 145 were type 2 reverse. Then, 18 of each type 1 & type 2 went into making 3 pc sets that also included the accented hair design. And last, 60 type 1 & 88 type 2 went to PCGS for certification (a little side note, type 2 reverse issues tend to grade higher & are more often cameo. Also, a lot of 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars have "Milk" spots). At any rate, bottom line for me was that out of @400 sets, @150 had the type 1 reverse.
    Also, I have not counted these at all... but 1964 Mint Sets are a great source for 1964-D type 1 reverse Kennedy's if anyone cares. Have 15 sets on hand and 12 have them... just a little FYI.

Blissskr likes this.
  16. Joshlowe

Joshlowe New Member

I have a 2014P clad accented hair 1964 profile sp69pl... Please can you tell me what it is? It says first day of issue

17. chascat

Awhile back, I checked my entire inventory of proof and mint state 64,s and found similar results to yours...about a third of my coins were type 1 rev. in P&D MS and in PF. However, I did find 1 PF68 cam with the type 1 rev.

18. Joshlowe

Joshlowe New Member

I have a 2014P clad accented hair 1964 profile sp69pl... Please can you tell me what it is? It says first day of issue

19. Joshlowe

Joshlowe New Member

20. Joshlowe

Joshlowe New Member

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Josh, this thread is a year and a half old. I doubt anyone is still following it.
    To get better results, you should start your own unique thread with photos of your coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted