Featured Accented Hair Reverse with Normal Obverse - listed as Variety by ANACS...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, May 17, 2014.

1. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BillW

BillW New Member

Yeah I didn't find that out until well into my search. Too bad 10% of my coins are this way. Makes it seem far too common.
    Not saying I have accented hairs, just that the I have the corrected front and the original reverse.

4. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

This thread is a bit dated but most of the posts still seem valid.

I'm still kinda wrapped around the axle on this. So all my 64's are business strikes, no proofs. The Obv's look normal, hair plus the "I" in Liberty. The Rev. on one of the coins definitely shows the AH variety markings, the ray is broken by the star and the "G" is straight, no horizontal serif. I'm not sure exactly what I have? Is this a transitional die strike Kennedy? Thanks!

5. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

I have two 1964-D transitional business strike transitional die pairing/varieties (ODV-002 business strike / RDV-001 proof reverse) as well. From what I understand it can't really be explained, especially for the Denver mints? My best hope would be for someone to dive into the how's and why's someday and ultimately provide a population estimate for these transitional die pairings/varieties using mint records? Not really counting on them being valuable, would just be cool to know a little more..Until then, I will hold onto mine :)

TJ1952 likes this.
  6. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, I feel the same way. You mentioned yours are 64-D's. Mine is a 64 (P) no mint mark. Do you have pictures of one of yours you can post?

7. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Yes, I call them my "half twinsies" :) I have pics of one below, however, I sent the second one last fall to a numismatic author friend of mine to hold for reference (hoping someday the mystery will be solved)...

FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg FullSizeRender_4.jpg FullSizeRender_5.jpg

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hey, great. Thanks for posting those. But aren't we talking 64 (plan, no mint mark
    Philadelphia?) for this variety? Here's mine:

S20160229_008.jpg S20160229_009.jpg S20160229_010.jpg S20160229_011.jpg S20160229_012.jpg S20160229_013.jpg

9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I searched thru my 64 pr Kennedys and found a pf68 cam. graded by NGC with a h rev!

Should I assume this is more valuable than a reg. strike?

Chascat

10. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Translate what you just said. You searched thru your 64 proofs? and found a proof 68 cameo? What's h reverse? Can you post a picture?

11. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Hi, nice coin (and pics)! What I have been able to gather on research (which was last fall mostly), is for the business strikes there are some Denver mints with the transitional die pairing (like mine), but I believe mostly they're Philadelphia mint for the most part?

12. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for confirming that. Like I said, I'm wrapped around the axle on this. I just don't know if what I (we) have is significant or not. I think we need a Kennedy expert to boil all this down for us and put it in plan language for us. Do you understand what @chascat above is talking about?

13. chascat

My pictures are very poor, But I still ask if this coin is any more valuable than a regular proof 68 cam coin?

14. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Err um, no clue?

15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

@Jupiter88 - In your travels, if you come across anymore helpful info on these Kennedy's contact us and let us know.

16. chascat

So, this variety sounds a lot like the type "B" reverse washington quarters. There were a lot of proof rev. dies left over, so in order to save money, the mint used them on the business strikes. This is a fascinating discovery in the Kennedy series.

17. chascat

Sorry for the typo... Found a proof 68 cameo Kennedy with the accented hair reverse, graded by N G C.

TJ1952 likes this.
  18. chascat

I wrote earlier that I found a pf68 cam graded by N G C. This is one in the five pfs in my collection. I also have looked at my 64-d business strikes and found 2 in 7 coins. These are au to unc. from rolls. I have not found any 64-p bus. strikes, nor any coins from mint sets with the trans. rev. as of yet. It sounds like my 68-cam. pf trans rev. coin maybe worth more than a reg. pf strike. What are your thoughts?

19. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Man, I'm lost. I'm looking on-line and seeing conflicting (if I'm reading it correctly) information. I'm writing stuff down and comparing it to what I'm seeing here on CT and websites. Maybe we should start a new thread (with a catchy subject line on Kennedy's) and see if we get new/updated information from members here.

20. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The 1964-D FS-503 D/D is a transitional die variety. I have 3 of these.

1964-D-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-FS-503-Obverse.jpg 1964-D-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-FS-503-Reverse.jpg

21. chascat

I think you,r on the right track. With no info in Cherrypicker,s Guide or in Tomaska,s guide book of Franklin and Kennedy halves, I honestly believe these Trans. Reverse coins should be considered a major die variety worth much more investigation. I don,t have a copy of James Wiles book, but it seems that he had a good mark on these coins way back in 1998. I will discuss this variety with a couple of the top Kennedy guys and check in later, hopefully with accurate info.

Chascat

TJ1952 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted