Featured Accented Hair Reverse with Normal Obverse - listed as Variety by ANACS...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ethan, May 17, 2014.

1. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Disagree; on account of statement being an opinion. Many people thanked and were informed by his research. Why would you even say that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. plantfrend

plantfrend New Member

I thought this was special until I went through a random roll and a half of mine and found ten, all Denver's and 1 Philly.

4. plantfrend

plantfrend New Member

I thought this was special until I went through a random roll and a half of mine and found ten, all Denver's and 1 Philly.

5. OldGoldGuy

Aren't we speaking about proofs....? Rolls of proofs?

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Why?

Because as a Kennedy collector, it's my "opinion".

7. OldGoldGuy

That is what I am asking. Gosh, your highlighting of that just makes it worse. YOU collect these. He has documented the existence of distinguishable die pairs. How is that "making more of it than it is??" I think, technically, it means he is succeeding as a numismatist, and by your own statement, you sir, would be failing. Due to turbo-moderation, let's try to take this in stride....I don't even collect Kennedys as a series, so I ain't even vested, dont care about these particular coins much...but you just said that. You said it. Not him. Not me. You. His research clearly is not "making more of it than it is". It is by definition of your own admission, what you should be striving to do.

8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I didn't read through the whole thread but that same reverse die was also used on some business strike coins. This pic I had posted in another thread on here when I first received them. DSCF5651.jpg

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

What 19LYDS was commenting on ( in post #4 ) had to do with the rarity/scarcity of the die combination as presented by Ethan, not Ethan as a person. And it was explained by 19LYDS in the same post why he felt so. He did not attack Ethan there or elsewhere as a person. Both are/were succceeding as numismatists. Did you read the previous posts or just jump right in with such a comment ? I think it would be better to read the entire thread before commenting. Yes, I know you dislike being moderated, but try to take this in stride, and don't continue on this path. Thanks,
    Jim

10. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Geez guys, settle down..I am not upset that some think there is nothing to it. You see I am a novice and learning. The experts write books. The Kennedy Book said it was special so I believe the expert. A more accurate statement would be there is no demand therefore no premium for them.

ANACS will slab them, will they slab all the die varieties? I think not but who cares.

Well I got the name first as far as I know, its Accented Hair's Little Brother....

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

ANACS will in fact slab whatever Die Marriage you specify as long as it is the correct die marriage for the coin. They'll even put the CONECA DDO/DDR Numbers on the slab as well as the Obverse Die Variety (ODV) and Reverse Die Variety (RDV).
    IKE 1971-S Prototype Strike 4111222 ANACS PF64 Label Obv.jpg

For your coin, they could have put:

DMR-2, ODV-002, RDV-001 Straight G

But I think they'd stop short of stating "Accented Hair's Little Brother" since, even though ODV-001 is only found married to RDV-001, RDV-001 can be found married to other Obverse Dies. In other words, it's the ODV-001 that really counts and not necessarily RDV-001.

12. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

A co-worker had me check out her father's coins after he died and there was a 1964 proof set in the lot. Checked it out and sure enough it had the AH reverse with the regular obverse. Told her to hold on for now, wait and see what shakes out in the future on the value.

13. Ethan

You never know....I do know they are not as common as some think.

14. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Ethan,

I enjoy reading about your enthusiasm regarding Kennedy half dollars, it is a fun series to collect and I have been known to collect one or two of them.

If I were to use your logic reference the 1964 Proof RDV-001 being the “Little Brother” for the 1964 Proof ODV-001 (Accented Hair) then the 1968-S Kennedy RDV-002 would be a “Little Brother” to the 1968-S Kennedy DDO-002 (FS-101) which is paired to the RDV-002 (Flared G). In reality one has nothing to do with the other besides just being a “marker” to identify the given variety.

When it comes to value, rarity and desirability I believe a better example would be that the 1964 Proof ODV-001 (Accented Hair) is the “Little Brother” to the 1964 DDO-015 (FS-103).

I have read Dr. Wiles’ book a few times and he tried to be as thorough as possible at the time of its writing. I do not remember any reference in his book that stated the 1964 RDV-001 was “special”. Dr. Wiles mentioned the change from RDV-001 to RDV-002 just like he mentioned all of the other changes in design within the series, no more, no less. I do know that Dr. Wiles will be deleting some of the entries in his next edition (when ever that will be) of his Kennedy Book like the cuds and rotated dies.

I don’t think 19Lyds was trying to discourage your enthusiasm in collecting Kennedy half dollars with his statement:
    I do think he was trying to tell you not to get “tunnel vision” and make sure you see the forest as a whole and not just a few of the trees.

Just my four bits on the subject,
    Tim

19Lyds likes this.
  15. Ethan

No worries. I just would like to think that a 'name' would drive interest somewhat. Something catchy......that is all I am trying to do. As for the Book, notice the information on the bottom of the page....Somehow, Wiles has this as worth more than AH because of its rarity (As thought at the time). Maybe Accented Hair's Big Brother would be more applicable but to be honest it will never be as popular as the AH..so little brother is more appropriate.

[​IMG]

16. plantfrend

plantfrend New Member

No, mint states.

17. plantfrend

plantfrend New Member

No, mint states.

18. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

No, proofs. Most of this conversation is about proofs, although some have said that mint state transitionals exist.

19. OldGoldGuy

Ok, good man. I thought I was crazy, dug out the one silver Kennedy I have thats graded, and saw it was a proof. I remember on eBay a long while ago definitely typing in "PF68" or "PR68" when I searched for one.

20. BillW

BillW New Member

Gentlemen, I recently stumbled upon your thread and I decided to sign up. I received 276 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars, among other coins, as a Christmas present. A friend at work told me about Accent Hairs and I started searching. Out of all my coins I have 27 that have the OBV1, or straight G and broken lines through the stars. All of these coins would grade at XF or better. I don't have any proofs and hopefully this adds some idea as to their availability. On a side note the person who gave them to me was a silver bug.

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

FYI. The 'Accented Hair' variety is only on proof coins.

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted