Featured A world tour - post the next country.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sakata, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

The largest copper denomination for Napoleonic Italy, 1812M 1soldo
    Italy-1812M-1soldo-Ocrop.jpg Italy-1812M-1soldo-Rcrop.jpg

DEA likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Vatican City - a 1992-R 50-lire. John Paul II's 14th year of Pope-ing.

lire-50-1992R-km238.jpg

coin_nut likes this.
  4. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Referring to the original rules of the thread, it seems the only place to go is back to Italy, which surrounds the Vatican City. 1938 Italy 10 centesimi

1938 IT 10 c.jpg

DEA likes this.
  5. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

And from Italy we shall go to Tunisia with this two-francs dated 1941.

francs-02-1941-km248.jpg

coin_nut likes this.
  6. coin_nut

Libya 1979 100 dirhams

1979 LY 100 d.jpg

7. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

That's nifty, Ed. Did you get that while there? Or from a friend?

Next stop, Sudan with this 20-ghirsh dated 1970. It's proof! Your coin, coin_nut, reminded me I had this (a whole proof 1970 set).

ghirsh-20-1970-km46.jpg

8. coin_nut

Thanks! Actually I got that Libya coin from a friend, one of our fellow CT folks, for a very low price. I have never been to Libya. Next door to Sudan is Kenya, and I have been there. British East Africa 1951 10 cents. 1951 EA 10 c obv.JPG 1951 EA 10 c rev.JPG

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

From East to West

upload_2020-12-23_18-7-11.jpeg

10. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Sweet British West African penny, @daveydempsey!

Without doing much research on the subject, is there some touching or adjacent or connecting border between then British East Africa and British West Africa? Or states that came into existence later? I cannot see it after a quick look at the borders.

I'm not sure if there is. And I don't know how to follow.

11. coin_nut

Those crafty Brits dug a tunnel from East Africa to West Africa, and made them a bit more adjacent that way. I read that somewhere on the internet, so it must be true.

Magnus87, Muzyck, DEA and 1 other person like this.
  12. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed. Those Brits are pretty crafty. Just look at what the PM got the EU to agree to.

So, let's build our way across Africa. From British East Africa, I propose the first move to the Belgian Congo. Then someone needs to continue on west until we reach a British West African state or area. Eh? Sound good?

Here's my one and only relevant Belgian Congo. At least I'm hoping it's relevant and valid. Please let me know if you disagree. A 1958 dated five-franc piece (KM 3) - Belgian Congo, Rwanda-Urundi.

francs-05-1958-km3.jpg

13. coin_nut

I can play from DR Congo, A? 1961 Portuguese Angola 50 centavos 1961 PT-AO 50 c obv.JPG 1961 PT-AO 50 c rev.JPG

14. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Hmmm . . . Okay. So from Angola, there looks to be a fairly straight shot to Ghana, which used to be British but I'm unsure if it qualifies to British West Africa. At least we're one step closer. I think.

Ghanaian 50-cedis dated 1999 (KM 31a).

cedis-50-1999-km31a.jpg

15. coin_nut

1924 French Togo 1 franc 1924 FR-TG 1 f obv.JPG 1924 FR-TG 1 f rev.JPG

16. coin_nut

From what I read on Wikipedia, yes it was once part of British West Africa, along with Nigeria and The Gambia.

DEA likes this.
  17. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

You the man, Ed! Thanks! I thought so. I read the Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica entries, but I wasn't confident and didn't think I was the one who should make the decision - at least not unilaterally. With that, I think we validly made our way from East to British West Africa. Yeah, in a round-about way but I feel we cleaned it all up. Yes?

Lacking any Benin or Burkina Faso coins, I'm going to have to take us to Nigeria with this naira dated 1991 (KM 14).

naira-01-1991-km14.jpg

18. coin_nut

2012 Western African States 5 francs. This coin was pocket change (gift from a friend who was working there) in Niger, and I think also circulates in a number of other countries in that area. 2012 FR-WA 5 f obv.JPG 2012 FR-WA 5 f rev.JPG

Muzyck and DEA like this.
  19. coin_nut

1964 Algeria 1 dinar 1964 DZ 1 d.jpg

20. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

1974 Morocco - ten santimat (Y 60).

santimat-10-1974-y60.jpg

21. coin_nut

1981 Spain 25 pesetas, football 1981 ES 25 p obv.JPG 1981 ES 25 p rev.JPG

DEA likes this.