Featured A world tour - post the next country.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sakata, Aug 27, 2017.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

OK, I'll go modern here. 2005 Turkey 1 lira 2005 TR 1 L obv.JPG 2005 TR 1 L rev.JPG

Stork likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

The Indian Coin, for International Day of Yoga, shows a statue with 3 lions. Well, actually, it is four. The forth lion is very shy, and is hiding behind the other three !!! :shy:

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Uh oh, here comes an ancient collector ready to wreck your thread ;) :D.

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Alexander III
    AR tetradrachm, 17.14 gm
    late lifetime issue, struck in Aradus c. 324/3 BCE
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress.
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter; I in left field; AP monogram below throne
    Ref: Price 3325
    ex Colosseo Collection

The coin fits the rules of this thread but you'll have to do little bit of thinking or Googling to work out the city's modern name and country :p.

SherlockSociopathWithYourNumber.jpg

chrisild, lordmarcovan and SorenCoins like this.
  5. coin_nut

2000 Albania 20 lek 2000 AL 20 l obv.JPG 2000 AL 20 l rev.JPG

Muzyck, SorenCoins and Stork like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

SorenCoins likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Nice one ;) ! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Aradus was in Syria, which does not directly border Albania. It does however, although very little, borders Israel.

This is one of my favorite world coins :) It is the first coin issued under Israel after the British granted it the homeland of the Jews, thus ending the British Mandate of Palestine.
    IMG_2319.jpg IMG_2320.jpg
    5708 (1948)
    Israel
    25 Mils
    1st coin of country, only coin dated it's first year.
    Y-1, P-1, KM-8.
    Fine.

Stork and TIF like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]
    NABATAEA, Aretas IV with Queen Shuqailat
    9 BCE - 40 CE, Petra
    AE, 18 mm
    Obv: jugate busts of Aretas IV and Shuqailat right,
    Rev: crossed cornucopia; Nabataean Aramaic letters between and below
    Ref: Meshorer 112-114?

Stork and SorenCoins like this.
  9. coin_nut

I took it to be Macedonia. How about just telling us what country you are playing from rather than making a game of it? This is a "world coin" thread after all, and borders change over the centuries.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. I thought this entire thread was a game. If you prefer, I can write the modern country along with the ancient attribution, although the city of issue was stated in the attribution. I just assumed it would be more fun if people had to put a bit of thought into it.

Perhaps I'll just go back to the ancient board where I belong :D.

Stork and SorenCoins like this.
  11. SorenCoins

I personally like the mystery part of it! It is fun trying to find where in the world coins are from in ancient times, from the ancient regions. After all, he does leave the mint from which the coin was struck, making it much easier...

12. SorenCoins

Unfortunately, I don't own any coins that border where you just posted, but I wont give it away! ;)

TIF likes this.
  13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

14. Bert Gedin

SorenCoins. First Coin issued under Israel ? Then, maybe appropriate to illustrate grapes. The Jewish god of wine - Dionysus or Liber. :hungover:

SorenCoins likes this.
  15. Bert Gedin

A world tour, albeit different. Have any of you seen Mark Zuckerberg's report today
    (18th June -19) ? "Facebook is coming together with 27 organizations around the world to star the non-profit Libra Association and create a new currency called Libra. - Libra's mission is to create a simple global financial infrastructure that empowers billions of people around the world. Etc., etc." A financial revolution or a financial "Titanic" ???

SorenCoins likes this.
  16. coin_nut

In an attempt to get back on the thread, here is a 1949 Israel 50 pruta. I assume Israel is adjacent to or part of the former British Palestine. 1949 IL 50 p obv.JPG 1949 IL 50 p rev.JPG

Muzyck and SorenCoins like this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, there is a difference between a country and a company. ;)

Stork likes this.
  18. coin_nut

Tell the VOC that...

Stork likes this.
  19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hehe, good one. But there's that word "country" in the topic title ...

Cyprus

CY20ct.jpg

Muzyck, Stork and coin_nut like this.
  20. coin_nut

1917 Egypt 5 milliemes 1917 EG 5 m obv.JPG 1917 EG 5 m rev.JPG

Muzyck, Stork and chrisild like this.
  21. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Ah, but is a city state a country...and if it is a government (sorry Facebook) authority that produces money/coins, well then does that fall under our 'country' definition? I'm not talking Lundy, but 'governmental authority'.

As for who gets to make the money...which future dystopia are we headed for 1984 or for The Space Merchants?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Merchants

Government vs. Business (Advertising) as the totalitarian? Big Brother or Big Data?

I must admit I enjoy the thread as an exercise in expanding my mind and I hate to confess just how often I have pulled up a world map to figure out exactly where to go next. The Ancients add just a bit more homework...in a good way IMO.

tibor, Muzyck and coin_nut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted