Featured A world tour - post the next country.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sakata, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Keeling Cocos islands rupee

Keeling Cocos Rupee 1913 obv A -18.jpg
    Keeling Cocos Rupee 1913 rev b -18.jpg

Siberian Man, Stork and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1791 Galle (Ceylon/Sri Lanka) VOC 2 stuiver dump 1791 G VOC 2 s obv.JPG 1791 G VOC 2 s rev.JPG

4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

India. Just taking a look at this photo and was thinking it was overstruck on another coin. The more I looked at it made me wonder if it is a die clash. I've been collecting for years but never learned much about errors until I joined this forum. Still don't know much but it does look like the coat of arms from the reverse under the denomination. You can also clearly see the frill above the date on the reverse on the obverse.

India One Twelth Anna 1835 obv.jpg
    India One Twelth Anna 1835 rev.jpg

DEA, Stork and panzerman like this.
  5. coin_nut

I think there is a name for that, where the devices on the other side of the coin can be seen as if pressed right through. I am not very knowledgeable about such errors and terms, someone on here will probably enlighten us directly. Good looking EIC coin, and definitely has something going on there. I might as well post an Afghan coin, 1934 25 pul. I think those are die cracks on the obverse, plus a cat hair and some dirt and grease. 1934 AF 25 p obv.JPG 1934 AF 25 p rev.JPG

Siberian Man, DEA, Stork and 2 others like this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Persia
    AV Daric Sardes Mint
    struck circa 420-380BC
    Under Xerxes II e1c2c55d7572205289207aed09f976d2.jpg

DEA, Siberian Man and Stork like this.
  7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Thanks. I have a few struck through grease. This looks like the obverse die was damaged by contact with the reverse die leaving an impression. I highlighted what I am seeing on the obverse.

India One Twelth Anna 1835 obv edits.jpg
    India One Twelth Anna 1835 obv.jpg
    India One Twelth Anna 1835 rev.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Stork likes this.
  8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

9. coin_nut

1958 Saudi Arabia 1 ghirsh 1958 SA 1 g obv.JPG 1958 SA 1 g rev.JPG

panzerman and Stork like this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Yemen

Yemen Silver 1944 Quarter Riyal obv.jpg
    Yemen Silver 1944 Quarter Riyal rev.jpg

Stork and panzerman like this.
  11. panzerman

Axum :present day Eritrea/ Ethiopia/ Oman
    Axumite Empire 4950f1dfb0070d21a74c12fdaefb2af0 (1).jpg
    Endybis 270-300AD
    Unknown mint
    AV 1/3 Aureus ND Mint state

Stork, DEA and Siberian Man like this.
  12. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

@coin_nut and @Muzyck - "internal metal displacement phenomenon"

First caveat - I'm not expert but constantly learning. Second caveat - I'm taking the ANA's correspondence course - from whence my information derives. Third caveat - I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer . . .

Applicable to US coins, the ANA teaches that the "technical term" (or phrase) is "internal metal displacement phenomenon" (hereinafter IMDP). Apparently, this occurred often with US wheat cents; i.e., "ghost of Lincoln" occurring on the reverse. The error or variety community places this issues under "die errors" on the PDS (planchet, die, striking) timeline of the existence of a coin. I'll quote: "Heavy design transfer: When a die nears the end of its usefulness, it often exhibits the major central design of its opposing mate. This design is transferred from one die to the other through the striking of the coin metal." My lesson booklet refers the reader to Alan Herbert's Minting Varieties and Errors, fifth edition, New York: House of Collectibles, 1991, page 158.

That seems enough to me but I will quote more from the giants if asked to do so. I do believe this issue was raised in an earlier post in this thread of another - and I think it involved both coin_nut and Muzyck!!. It took the issue coming up twice for me to get off my lazy buttocks and put two and two together. So, caveat four, I'm not only not the the sharpest knife in the drawer, I'm awfully lazy.

coin_nut and Muzyck like this.
  13. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Thanks. I think that was what I was looking for in this post...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/th...ld-coins-edition.288303/page-200#post-3278115

Couldn't find that description but giving me the description of IMDP confirmed it!

http://www.error-ref.com/progressive-indirect-design-transfer/

That being said, I still wonder if what I see on the India coin is a die clash, the transfer being where I highlighted the image in yellow.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    DEA likes this.
  14. coin_nut

OK, I am ignorant. What is a "die clash"?

15. coin_nut

Using Ethiopia as the last post, here is a 1912 H East Africa & Uganda Protectorates 1 cent 1912 EA-H 1 c obv.JPG 1912 EA-H 1 c rev.JPG

Stork likes this.
  16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

DEA likes this.
  17. coin_nut

1910 East Africa 50 cents 1910 EA 50 c obv.JPG 1910 EA 50 c rev.JPG

Stork, Siberian Man and panzerman like this.
  18. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Using Kenya, here is Somalia:
    combo.jpg

DEA, panzerman and coin_nut like this.
  19. coin_nut

1900 British Ceylon 25 cents 1900 Cey 25 c obv.JPG 1900 Cey 25 c rev.JPG

panzerman likes this.
  20. panzerman

A very rare coin from India/ Eastern Gangas/ two examples known.... IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0650.JPG

DEA and coin_nut like this.
  21. coin_nut

1963 Pakistan 50 paisa 1963 PK 50 p obv.JPG 1963 PK 50 p rev.JPG

Stork and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted