A Very Ugly 1796 Silver Dollar...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marsyas Mike, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago I found this in a local coin shop for about $150. Its problems are fairly obvious. Mostly I collect ancients and world crowns, and am quite ignorant about US coins. I made some efforts to figure out what variety this was, or if it was even real, but sort of gave up on it. Any insights would be appreciated. It weights 26.65 grams

1795 dollar (3).JPG

1795 dollar (5).JPG

Attached Files:

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Ahh Just think of the history? And who may have worn in around there neck? Thats if its is real, No clue here.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't think it's that ugly. I mean... it's a 1796 dollar, fer cryin' out loud!

That is, IF it's genuine. I see some softness in the details that concern me, but I can't tell if they're a result of the wear and tear that coin got in its service as a jewelry piece, or ... worse ... if they're a subtle "Made in China" clue.

I shall defer to those more knowledgeable.

That's the sort of "holey" I'd love to own, and even if a counterfeit, it would still be a fun piece I'd hang on my keychain, but not worth $150 then, obviously.

What's the edge look like?

Edit: after a second glance, I find myself slightly more suspicious over those soft details in the stars and such. It just looks "off" to me somehow. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Kentucky and Marsyas Mike like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

PS- it might not be relevant to this particular case, but this classic, much-cited webpage is worth a read.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Thank you lordmarcovan - Here are a couple of edge shots - pretty chewed up, but there is some lettering there. Though I am no expert, the "softness" looks like some other ex-jewelry pieces I have. On the other hand, those counterfeiters are pretty good too!

1795 dollar (7).JPG

1795 dollar (8).JPG
    1795 dollar (9).JPG

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

I rather like ex-jewelry coins...I have quite a few of them. They are cheap, and sometimes you can get some good stuff. Coin jewelry (1).JPG

8. lordmarcovan

It's hard for me to say. I'd submit it to a TPG for authentication.

Chewy or not, the lettered edge boosts its credibilty a tiny bit to me. But like you say, those counterfeiters are clever, so... ?

Love your "ex-jewelry" stash. As you're probably aware from my avatar, I have a history of liking that kind of stuff, too. :)

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

I haven't belonged to the Forum very long, but as soon as I saw your stuff I felt a collector kinship - we both like the holey and the soldered and the pinned! I admire your "holey hat" - along the same lines I often wear an old coin on my lapel - an Queen Victoria enameled sixpence or whatnot.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

It doesn't look real to me. The date and the letters look off.

coinman1234, Insider and Marsyas Mike like this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, your coin is a counterfeit. That's probably why there is a hole in it...so it hangs crooked on the chain.

coinman1234 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  12. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Doesnt look quite right to me either. But that could just be the damage.

Fakes were given edge lettering too. This fake that I have was pretty good until I saw the edge lol. Some sort of alien language lol?
    SAM_0036-1.jpg

13. lordmarcovan

I've never done pinbacks, but holeys, yes, indeed! And love tokens. I've continued with the love token thing and am now on my third collection of them. Bought four nice LTs in the last 48 hours, as a matter o' fact. These are usually pretty budget-friendly categories, though I'm into the pictorial love tokens now, which do get a little bit pricier. Still nothing compared to more popular avenues of collecting, though.

People on a budget could do worse than pursue holey coins or love tokens. They've often got better eye appeal than the worn (undamaged) type coins one would buy for the same price. "One man's trash is another man's treasure", and all that, right? ;)

Yeah, there are fakes with edge lettering, of course. Say, how'd you do that photo? That's cool. I always wondered how people did those.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  14. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

Looks like a cast to me...but WDIK

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

I had these same thoughts. But WDIK. It's hard for me to say for sure, here.

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1009171625.jpg [QUOTE="lordmarcovan, post: 2875004, member:
    ;)

Say, how'd you do that photo? That's cool. I always wondered how people did those.[/QUOTE]
    You can do that by using a flashlight reflector. I once was in a thrift shop and saw a 99 cent flashlight with a nice clean reflector, so I bought it. Took it to the counter paid for it and ask if she had a trash can there. I proceeded to take the flashlight apart and had her put the rest in the trash .

Marsyas Mike and Insider like this.
  17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

@lordmarcovan
    @Marsyas Mike .
    After reading this thread while at work today I thought you two would enjoy these all were part of my collection at one time, along with some others not pictured. DSCN3260.jpg DSCN3233.jpg DSCN3235.jpg DSCN3237.jpg DSCN3241.jpg

18. lordmarcovan

Cool. I would have thought of that myself in ... oh ... maybe about 260 years or so, long after flashlights became obsolete (and I a decomposed mummy).

dwhiz likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

@Paddy54 - those might be the nicest enameled coins I've seen. If they're coins at all underneath there?

I've never collected those - all too often they look chipped up or clumsily executed to begin with, but those are cool.

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

[/QUOTE]
    Do worry I didn't think of it myself. I saw it on a board someplace a few years ago.

21. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Like @dwhiz shows, you use the reflective part of a flashlight. Works really well when trying to count reeds lol

Draft saved Draft deleted