A Silver Round with the Word COPY...Did I Get Scammed?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mattunion99, May 4, 2014.

1. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Not good...I think. If you follow the FeeBay link you will see one just like yours and the side has .999 fine on it. I ran into this with the Twin Towers Cook Islands coin, there are two types, the plated one and the .999 one. Mine turned out to be plated as it did NOT have .999 fine on the edges. The seller refunded the monies and told me to keep it as he learned about it also.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Matt, its not always 100% correct when it says .999 fine due to counterfeiters but it is a good sign.

Take a Kleenex and lay it over the top, it should show white through the tissue

4. Ethan

I just looked and it can be reeded but also says .999 fine..

Look here..
    [​IMG]

5. Ethan

Bingo I got it, you are ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

There is nothing at all on the rim of the coin. But it does say 1 oz .999 fine silver on the front of the coin.

7. Ethan

I love a good mystery!

I have one of these and have not found out for sure if it is Silver or not..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Kenned...from-the-National-Historic-Mint-/370805456328

It sure sounds like it, but only weighs 26g, so I am skeptical. It only cost $2 and I wanted it anyway but finding information on the National Historic Mint is tough.

Found a new link, I think mine might be Copper/Nickel.....that explains how the rare earth magnet test worked. The sound though fooled me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-198...883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4865cb461b

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  8. Ethan

Notice the picture above almost all of the edge is reeded except where it says .999. Maybe they were not all done that way, I am not sure but I think you are ok. You need to weight it and it should weigh 31.1g. Try flipping it and see if it 'sounds' silver.

9. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

I don't have a scale (I need one, though!)

How about the tissue test that KoinJester mentioned. It passed that one!

Ethan likes this.
  10. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

11. Ethan

Yeah I saw that on my research, but here is the thing it passed the magnet test, passed the sound test, and failed the weight test. I know it has a snowball chance but for $2 I liked it and who knows. I think the Copper/Nickel explanation in that one ad makes the most sense. Still kind of cool though.

I think you are safe in your purchase, I just can not understand why it does not say anything on the edge. That eBay ad was the exact piece and it did.

12. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

I like the Kennedy medal. For $2, it's worth it to have a cool piece to show people, even if it isn't silver. I have a Reagan medal celebrating his 100th birthday that is similar. I found it in my classroom when I started working for my current school. It isn't worth $2, but it is cool to have!

I use a reputable coin dealer and I can show him the round the next time I am down there, but he is an hour away and I was getting a little anxious. I really appreciate your help, along with the others who chipped in!

13. Ethan

No problem I had fun looking for it.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, no offense, but you are going to get scammed. I hate saying that, I hate the world is that way today, but it is. If you continue to buy things at antique malls, trusting what the coin purports to be, and not being very knowledgable on your own, 100% guarantee you will get fleeced. Do you know Mexican coins have been copied for over 100 years? What confidence do you have that the 8 reales is real? I have seen THOUSANDS of fake mexican coins at such places over the years.

I am saying this since it seems like you are a good kid, and like silver. I like silver too, have for 40 years. Please, slow your roll, and try to only buy from sources that everyone here would agree are reputable places to buy real silver. Wait until you are much more knowledgable to try to cherrypick places like antique stores. Those places are RIPE with fakes. Have I bought a FEW real pieces there? Yeah, but I have 40 years experience sir, and I only buy coins I am 100% sure my knowledge is high enough to know its real.

green18 likes this.
  15. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

You're probably right. I have only been collecting for 3 or 4 years, and though am no kid (at 33, I probably seem that way to many) there is a lot that I am still learning.

I don't know much about Mexican coins, so it is possible that I got a fake one. I will have my dealer check it out.

I am typically very picky at antique malls and flea markets. This was an isolated case where the deal seemed too good to pass. I appreciate your concern and will be more careful in the future.

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Btw, sorry about calling you a kid. No offense meant. From your post I was just guessing you might be around twenty, but even then I shouldn't have called you a kid. Apologies.

17. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

Anyone who has been collecting for 40 years can call me kid if he wants. No offense taken-I appreciate your concern.

Ethan likes this.
  18. Ethan

I wish I could be called a kid again...

19. costello

costello Member

I'm sure I'll slip up. My five year old's named Ethan.

Ethan likes this.
  20. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

If you really want to invest in silver, buy from a reputable dealer and stick with coinage like American Silver Eagles. As I see it, you have two major problems on your hands: 1) determining if your silver round is real, and 2) convincing the person you will want to sell it to eventually that it is real. Thats exactly why ASEs sell for a premium, and the round you purchased you got for spot. You get what you pay for in most cases.

Draft saved Draft deleted