A Silver Round with the Word COPY...Did I Get Scammed?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mattunion99, May 4, 2014.

1. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

I just bought what looks like a 1 oz silver round from an antique store in Kentucky.

It has the 1913 Indian Head nickel design on the front, and the American Bison design on the back. At the top of the reverse it reads, "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," and underneath, "IN GOD WE TRUST." Under the bison's head, it reads, "E pluribus unum," and has a 2003 date. On the edge of the obverse side, it reads, "1 oz .999 fine silver." Cool, right? But at the bottom it reads, "COPY# GH1798."

I bought it today for $20, thinking that it could not read "1 oz fine silver" if it wasn't really silver, but now I am second guessing myself. Can anyone help?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I think you are fine, it is a Silver round copied off the Buffalo Nickel. Post a picture and that will help.

4. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

This is the best picture I could get. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

5. Ethan

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  6. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

I looked through the Google Images list. I wonder if there is a way to trace the copy # on the front?

For future reference, is it true that as long as a coin/round/bar/etc. reads, "1 oz .999 fine silver" or something to that effect, it is really silver and a not a copy of a silver coin?

Thanks again!

7. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

Get ye' self an inexpensive digital scale (AWS 100 grams at .01 gram increment suffices for me) and some powerful little neodymium magnets.

The magnet should do a slow slide down the coin when coin angled around 45 degrees.
    If magnet exhibits any kind of even slight attraction or shoots right down the coin, it's likely fake.

If the coin/bar/etc. is supposed to be 1 troy oz., it should weigh in close to 31.10grams
    (weight typically range from slightly under to perhaps upwards 31.4grams) the further the weight drifts away from typical range increases the odds of a fake.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The internet is a scary place indeed. Think twice and know your seller before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

mikenoodle likes this.
  9. Ethan

10. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

Thanks for the good info. I tried to post the reverse, but my camera is being goofy. It looks the same as the reverse of a buffalo nickel, except with two lines of text above it. The first line says UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and the second reads IN GOD WE TRUST. The motto E PLURIBUS UNUM is located below the bison's head, and the date (2003) is at the bottom of the round.

11. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

Hey green18:

I bought this one at an antique store that has been doing business in that downtown area for 20 years or so, so I thought I was okay. The price made me willing to gamble. Looks like I'm glad I did. Thanks Ethan!

12. Ethan

This could be bad, it a national collectors mint medal but yours says .999 this one does not..

[​IMG]

13. Ethan

Hold up, I need to see the reverse....

If it is 2001, then the COPY wording would make sense as that was the year of the commemorative offering from the US Mint. These are quite valuable indeed but look like this..yours might be a copy of this. I still think you are ok if it says .999 and no wording of clad, layered, or plated on it. Does it say anything on the edges?

[​IMG]

14. Ethan

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Buy precious metals from trusted sources only. Antique stores that have been in business for 20+ years don't always qualify.

medoraman likes this.
  16. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

17. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

That's good advice, green. I saw it yesterday and didn't buy, but we were leaving town today and I hadn't bought any silver. I couldn't stand it anymore!!! :)

I also bought an 1877 Mexican 8 Reales coin for $23. I saw a couple sell on eBay for $35-$40, so I didn't feel too badly about it. Besides, the fever was getting severe...

18. Ethan

Matt what does the side say?

They probably make two types....it is important.

19. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Ethan this is silver plated. Not silver.

20. mattunion99

mattunion99 Member

Which side, Ethan? There is nothing on the rim of the coin, but it is a rugged surface, just like on the American silver eagle.

21. Ethan

Yes but notice that one does not say anything, Matt's does. I was searching for the design and that is what popped up and looked closest to his. We shall see what he comes back with.

Draft saved Draft deleted