Featured A Series of Father & Son Tragedies (w/ a fathers day msg)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NicholasMaximus, Jun 19, 2020.

1. NicholasMaximus

NicholasMaximus Well-Known Member

@octavius

Fair point about Augustus, he probably also would have been disappointed with the reign of his chosen successor. Tiberius didn’t do much at all to advance/ improve the empire during his lengthy reign.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

An excellent thread @NicholasMaximus. It seems there were many fathers and sons who didn't fare well as Emperors and Caesars - even if they made a nice pair on a provincial coin:
    [​IMG]
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, Macrinus with Diadumenian as Caesar, AD 217-218, Æ Pentassarion, Pontianus, consular legate
    Obv: AVT K ΟΠEΛ CEVH MAKPEINOC K M ΟΠE ANTΩNEINOC, confronted heads of Macrinus right, laureate, and Diadumenian left, bareheaded
    Rev: VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAPKIANOΠOΛEITΩN, Hera standing facing, head left, holding phiale and scepter; E (mark of value) to left
    Ref: AMNG I 722 var. (E to right plus flaming altar); Varbanov 1185a var. (E to right plus altar)

And here is a son who with his father and brother all met their end as usurpers in the east. (more in this earlier post)
    Macrianus Alex Tet Blu.jpg
    Egypt, Alexandria, Macrianus, 260-261 AD, BI Tetradrachm , Dated RY 1 (260/1 AD); of September 260-May 261 AD
    Obv: AK T Φ IOΥN MAKΡIANOC E CEB Laureate and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Eagle standing left, wreath in beak; LA (date) in left field
    Ref: Dattari 5380 plate 275
    Obv Latin Equivalent: IMP Titus Fulvius Junius Macrianus E? AVG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, Thank you. I am more of a fan of other histories, not as big a fan of Imperial Rome. :)

5. JackBlueDog

JackBlueDog New Member

Great thread @NicholasMaximus !! I especially enjoy the reverse on your Volusian & the bust on your Philip I.

I am new to this forum, and wanted to wish a Happy Father's Day to anyone with kids.

Also, with all of this Roman father & son tragedy, did anyone else think of "Titus Andronicus" ? I know its fiction, but I couldn't help but think of it as I read these posts.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome to the Coin Talk Ancients Forum, @JackBlueDog !

My dog is named BLUE.

Is that AE Colosseum avatar your coin?

And, thank you. 6 Daughters here. All grown up, and a smattering of 8 Grandkids from 3 to 12 now.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    JackBlueDog and NicholasMaximus like this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's another father - son combo...
    SASS6.jpg
    Khusro I 531-579AD-AR Drachm-Max 31mm diameter-3.84 grams
    Obverse..Facing bust, head right, wearing merlon crown with tassel to left and surmounted by crescent with 3 vertical lines. Crescents at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Right of portrait kings name.
    Reverse..Fire altar with two attendants standing facing either side of fire altar, wearing tall headgear, both hands on sword hilt. Star and crescent flanking flames of altar. Right-Mint HWC (Gunde-Shapur, Khuzistan) /Left- Regnal year 26 = 557AD.

Sasanian Kingdom. Hormizd IV. A.D. 579-590. AR drachm (31 mm, 3.56 g, 8 h).
    WYHC (uncertain site)Fars or Central Iraq.. RY 12. Last year of reign 590AD
    Obverse..Crowned bust of Hormizd IV right, crescent on forehead, stars flanking crown .
    Reverse..Fire altar with attendants and ribbon, star and crescent flanking flames. Göbl Type I/1.

8. JackBlueDog

JackBlueDog New Member

Wow, I can only imagine how hard it is to keep up with all those birthdays. And I wish it was my coin, I actually found this forum while searching about colosseum coins. I stumbled upon a thread started by a user named @Ryro about dream coins, and a few people mentioned a colosseum reverse. Since that was also my dream coin, I decided to join the forum. Figured it was a sign.

My profile pic is just a coin that I would pay a lot of money for if given the chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted